Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:29 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
LOL I would do some research first before typing such bullcrap and lies. You obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about and sound like a teenager.. Grow up KID. Cleveland has one of the BEST orchestras and 2nd LARGEST Theatre district in the nation. Not to mention world class Museums. And millions of people visit Cleveland each year.

The city has well established Irish, Italian, German, Hungarian, Slovak, Puerto Rican, African American, and Arabic communities. The West Side Market is well known and has over 160 vendors. It also has the Rock N Roll HOF and the Football HOF in Canton, the Metroparks, a world-class Zoo, NASA, University Circle - Nearly 50 cultural, medical, educational, religious, and social service institutions are based in the University Circle area... Heck, University Circle gets 2.5 million visitors a year ALONE. Why are people on City Data far more ignorant than anyone I've met in real life?

Here are some links to read up on:

Cleveland rocks - The Sun Chronicle Online - Features
36 Hours - Cleveland - NYTimes.com
Elements of Urbanism: Cleveland | Jacksonville FL | Metro Jacksonville

I am feeling these pics, ESPECIALLY the bakery one. It's making me REALLY hungry. I should hit up Cleveland one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 05:22 AM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
LOL I would do some research first before typing such bullcrap and lies. You obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about and sound like a teenager.. Grow up KID. Cleveland has one of the BEST orchestras and 2nd LARGEST Theatre district in the nation. Not to mention world class Museums. And millions of people visit Cleveland each year.

The city has well established Irish, Italian, German, Hungarian, Slovak, Puerto Rican, African American, and Arabic communities. The West Side Market is well known and has over 160 vendors. It also has the Rock N Roll HOF and the Football HOF in Canton, the Metroparks, a world-class Zoo, NASA, University Circle - Nearly 50 cultural, medical, educational, religious, and social service institutions are based in the University Circle area... Heck, University Circle gets 2.5 million visitors a year ALONE. Why are people on City Data far more ignorant than anyone I've met in real life?

Here are some links to read up on:

Cleveland rocks - The Sun Chronicle Online - Features
36 Hours - Cleveland - NYTimes.com
Elements of Urbanism: Cleveland | Jacksonville FL | Metro Jacksonville
I think Cleveland is a nice town and has a lot of infrastructure downtown, but I'm quite surprised at the amount of empty buildings there (but at least there is some sort of renovations happening to some of the buildings). My impression is that there are many people of Indian (Asian) background that live in the actual city because of the healthcare jobs. The downtown area is not very supportive of the gay community, and another club closed downtown there last year. In reference to the Football Hall of Fame, you can't really claim that in Cleveland because it is in Canton which is definitely removed from Cleveland and actually south of Akron (my sister lives there). The second photo in your post has a great gym that I work out at when I visit, but I never really see a lot of people in the rest of that complex.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
They know more than Americans because their school systems are better, which is obvious. Even if they know of Austin, they could probably care less. They're mostly interested in LA an NY.

Um, I'm a teacher; I teach about this country. I think I know a thing or two about it
Well, the quality of our teachers in public schools aren't that high which probably has a lot to do with why their school systems are better. Being a teacher also doesn't mean you know more about this country than others or that you know all that much (which is a scary thing).

Also, LA and NYC might be the largest tourist magnets for Europeans, neither is likely to be the majority. South Florida, DC and the Bay Area are also large draws for tourists, there are large international student populations in Boston and the Bay Area, and a lot of corporate branch offices in Chicago, Houston, DFW, Atlanta, and more.

Also, do you speak any languages aside from English fluently? Can you actually hold a conversation with people in their native language in your travels? Have you ever actually lived in a foreign country (or even other regions of the US) rather than just travel by as a tourist?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:53 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, the quality of our teachers in public schools aren't that high which probably has a lot to do with why their school systems are better. Being a teacher also doesn't mean you know more about this country than others or that you know all that much (which is a scary thing).

Also, LA and NYC might be the largest tourist magnets for Europeans, neither is likely to be the majority. South Florida, DC and the Bay Area are also large draws for tourists, there are large international student populations in Boston and the Bay Area, and a lot of corporate branch offices in Chicago, Houston, DFW, Atlanta, and more.

Also, do you speak any languages aside from English fluently? Can you actually hold a conversation with people in their native language in your travels? Have you ever actually lived in a foreign country (or even other regions of the US) rather than just travel by as a tourist?
Spanish. Greek, and a little Japanese. Currently learning Polish since I'll be there in March/April

Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 AM

Can you speak any of these fluently, as in hold a real conversation (and not a stuttering high school electives kind of Spanish)? It makes a really big difference in what you do and don't talk about. The same with actually living somewhere rather than visiting.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Can you speak any of these fluently, as in hold a real conversation (and not a stuttering high school electives kind of Spanish)? .
Yes...I travel all the time. I already said that. This is off-topic.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Yes...I travel all the time. I already said that. This is off-topic.
That doesn't answer the question. There are plenty of people that travel all the time and can't speak the language of where they are. There are expats everywhere (I'm more familiar with the ones in East and Southeast Asia) that have been in countries for years, maybe decades, and can barely speak the language there save for a few words and phrases.

As for off-topic, yes, but only a little bit. You tried to rank cities by international renown, but it's questionable whether or not you can pass this kind of judgment.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:39 PM

269 posts, read 469,035 times
Quote:
That doesn't answer the question. There are plenty of people that travel all the time and can't speak the language of where they are. There are expats everywhere (I'm more familiar with the ones in East and Southeast Asia) that have been in countries for years, maybe decades, and can barely speak the language there save for a few words and phrases.

As for off-topic, yes, but only a little bit. You tried to rank cities by international renown, but it's questionable whether or not you can pass this kind of judgment.
Ding ding ding! Apparently a honeymoon in one of the most touristy regions of Europe makes you an expert in European relations. And apparently you can become fluent in the language in two weeks. That's amazing!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie28 View Post
Ding ding ding! Apparently a honeymoon in one of the most touristy regions of Europe makes you an expert in European relations. And apparently you can become fluent in the language in two weeks. That's amazing!

We booked our trip through Greece a year in advance. That gave me a year to study it. And I have been other places besides Greece.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-22-2009 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: stop it!

Old 10-21-2009, 02:02 PM

269 posts, read 469,035 times
Quote:
We booked our trip through Greece a year in advance. That gave me a year to study it. And I have been other places besides Greece.

I don't know why you guys get on my case about where I go. Sorry you don't have the time and money to travel.
You learned the greek alphabet and became fluent within a year without immersion? Uh huh.

I have plenty of time and money to travel, and I do just that. I live in one of the largest transportation hubs in Europe, so it's quite easy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City