Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 02:56 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Instead when they think of Houston, they will think of oil and NASA and when they think of Dallas, they will think of the Cowboys and the TV show.

I fly overseas 6 times a year and Ive asked people alot of what they know about the different places in America, particularly Los Angeles, Dallas, and Houston. Thats just what people have to say.

Either way, Ive not met anyone outside the US who hadn't heard of Dallas or Houston.
Still, its better to live in a city that is know for its strong economy, and national(and global) importance, than to be known for sports and a TV show(unless you consider these things important).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 03:00 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Oh great, you're back with your witty responses

I've traveled all over this world and have met people from all over. Go further than Amsterdam, and they won't know Austin. They could care less.
Is it really necessary to be so rude to Annie?

And sorry, but you have NOT traveled "all over the world."

A honeymoon trip to a touristy area of Greece, along with quick trips to Bermuda and Puerto Rico are hardly considered world wide travel.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:01 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Is it really necessary to be so rude to Annie?

And sorry, but you have NOT traveled "all over the world."

A honeymoon trip to a touristy area of Greece, along with quick trips to Bermuda and Puerto Rico are hardly considered world wide travel.

No, how about the whole country of Greece.

I have been to more since July, and will be going to Ireland and Poland during my spring break in April--while I'm in traveling all over Poland and visiting Dublin, i'll ask them what they know about Austin. But for now, it still stands that they only knew of NY, LA, and Chicago.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:09 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Still, its better to live in a city that is know for its strong economy, and national(and global) importance, than to be known for sports and a TV show(unless you consider these things important).
But to the layman in Europe, Asia, or wherever, Houston isnt known for that. Its known for oil and "Houston, we have a problem". Most people know its a big city and thats about it.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:10 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
The people I met in Europe (spanning years) thought Texas = Cowboys. When we told them we were from NYC, they were much more "excited". Sorry, to burst your bubble.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
No, how about the whole country of Greece.

I have been to more since July, and will be going to Ireland and Poland during my spring break in April--while I'm in traveling all over Poland and visiting Dublin, i'll ask them what they know about Austin. But for now, it still stands that they only knew of NY, LA, and Chicago.
I travel overseas every two months. Not because I want to, because I HAVE TO for work. I never mentioned Ausitn, but to say they dont know anything but NYC, LA, and Chicago is ignorant at best. Ive met people in China that had reletives in Houston, people in Korea with reletives in Atlanta, and people in Mumbai that had relatives in Dallas. If you ask someone in Europe, "have you heard of Dallas/Houston/Atlanta?" they will say yes even if they dont know that much about it, they will know they are huge cities.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The people I met in Europe (spanning years) thought Texas = Cowboys. When we told them we were from NYC, they were much more "excited". Sorry, to burst your bubble.
Oh no! people who have no idea what is in Texas or never been here are talking down on it

Old 10-14-2009, 03:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I travel overseas every two months. I never mentioned Ausitn, but to say they dont know anything but NYC, LA, and Chicago is ignorant at best. Ive met people in China that had reletives in Houston, people in Korea with reletives in Atlanta, and people in Mumbai that had relatives in Dallas. If you ask someone in Europe, "have you heard of Dallas/Houston/Atlanta?" they will say yes even if they dont know that much about it, they will know they are huge cities.

lol huge cities by American standards? No...try again. You wish they were "huge" cities.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
lol huge cities by American standards? No...try again. You wish they were "huge" cities.
I know.....when has a metro area with 5-6+ million people ever equated to huge??? that is ridiculous!

Old 10-14-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
They are huge by European standards. American cities are much larger than European cities.

I really wish you knew what you were talking about, but you dont. Youve never been to Texas and I dont think youll ever come. You dont want to destroy what you have it worked up in your head to be.

People around the world do know of the major cities here (Dallas and Houston). I would know. I dont care how much youve traveled (not much appearantly), Ive traveled more. Ive been to Moscow, Hong Kong (lived here for 6 months), and Mexico City in the last 3 months. I always tell people, "I live in Dallas". Never once have I had someone ask me where that was. Everyone knows its in Texas and everyone knows its a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City