Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,404,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Actually I'm a legal resident of Louisiana, not Texas. So, legally, Texas is not my state of residence.
Even if it was, I'm not a Texan.

It can be below the MD line all it wants, it's not southern. You won't change my opinion in 100 years.
But at the end of the day your ill opinion towards Maryland will not ever replace the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
People who cry Mason-Dixon for Maryland seem to neglect the fact that the actual official line, the line that had the division of north and south in mind when it was drawn, is the Missouri compromise line. Which doesn't even include Kentucky or Virginia, so what chance has Maryland got?

The Mason Dixon was established to settle land disputes between Pennsylvania and Maryland. NOT to be the border of the south.

Yes there were southern traits in the state. Yes there are ties to the south historically. Yes there were some pro-confederate citizens. That's to be expected of a state that sits 'between' the south and the northeast. But the state is not of Dixie. There isn't even a star for it on the confederate flag.

Delaware has even LESS chance of being considered southern. Delaware was originally Pennsylvanian territory, is excluded even by the Mason Dixon line (look it up!), and you can practically swim to New Jersey from there.

I cannot consider Maryland or Delaware southern. Even if you call them Mid-Atlantic, go ahead and see what other states are called Mid-Atlantic. New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, and occasionally Virginia. Three out of four northern.
The only reason people from the deep south deny the FACT that Maryland is a Southern state is due to Envy and Extremist Deep Rooted Hate.........

Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
What makes MD's eastern shore southern? just wondering.
Because Maryland is Southern........

Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,807,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Your opinion does not count and will not ever ever ever Dictate against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State........
Southern Maryland might well have southern attributes like Virginia and coastal N. Carolina. The Western panhandle has Appalachian attributes and culture and serves as a sort of transition, along with east-central West Virginia, from northern Appalachia to southern Appalachia.

However, when most of your population lives near places like Baltimore, Towson, Gaithersburg, Rockville, Annapolis, and Frederick, it just doesn't qualify. Maryland's never felt Southern to me at all. Plenty of nice areas, but I don't feel like I'm in the South until I'm in southern Virginia or central Kentucky. Sure, it is historically south of the Mason-Dixon line, had an appreciable and large slave trade, and channeled slaves southward. However, would you also call Washington, D.C. "Southern" anymore. It's a historically "Southern" city that is now very multicultural, full of NYC/NJ/Mass/Phila transplants, and the world's political and diplomatic capital.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Not being difficult. Just correcting you.

The fact that it's below the MD or was once southern doesn't make it a southern state in present day. Get over it.
Nope YOU GET OVER THE FACT THAT YOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT MARYLAND IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A SOUTHERN STATE AND THERE IS NOT MF THING YOU CAN DO TO CHANGE THAT FACT.......

Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Nope YOU GET OVER THE FACT THAT YOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE FACT THAT MARYLAND IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A SOUTHERN STATE AND THERE IS NOT MF THING YOU CAN DO TO CHANGE THAT FACT.......
We gave Maryland to the North as a peace offering when we lost the Civil War.

Sorry, Yankee.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There was nothing to correct. I said Texas was your state of residence and you go off on a tirade about legalities and being "Texan" and whatnot. Wasn't germane to the discussion at all, but you knew that.

What you can't get through your skull is that "Southern" refers to geography as well as culture and the issue is nowhere near as cut-and-dried as you make it out to be. I have no clue why you can't comprehend that. When north Florida follows the rest of Florida in terms of migration patterns and cultural shifts, I guess you'll also say that the southernmost state in the southeastern United States isn't a southern state anymore. Yeah, that will make complete sense in the absence of geographical considerations.
Uhhh it is very simple; he/she carries Deep Rooted Hate towards Maryland....

Old 03-01-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
There was something to correct, so I did.
...I don't see your point here, Maryland is not southern. Florida has nothing to do with this but you knew that.
Texas ain't Southern....

Southwestern Yes, but Southern No way..........

Old 03-01-2012, 10:01 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Historically I suppose.

But when I see snow or Christmas shaped Pine trees I feel like I am certainly in the north.
White Pine trees grow from Georgia to Maine. You want to see a real Christmas Tree farm? That would be the Rocks Estate, Bethlehem, NH. They grow the Balsam Firs there, the tree of the Northwoods.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Would far the northern tip of West Virginia considered the south too? It is north of Pittsburgh. Is Atlantic City considered southern?? It is directly east of Baltimore.
Thats a very good joke.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City