Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 04:08 PM

306 posts, read 319,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
What's the difference between an Italian in New Orleans and an Italian in New York?
The difference between the two is that the New Orleans italian population is Sicilian, which technically is not Italian.

Sometimes, they are grouped together by people who don't understand the Italian culture.

You probably would not understand this unless you were from NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, NJ or were italian yourself.

Also, NYC has a much higher percentage per capita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 04:11 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
What's the difference between an Italian in New Orleans and an Italian in New York?
Good Point

What's the difference between a Jamaican in Kingston and a Jamaican in Jamaica, Queens (NYC)? Still the same food.

What's the difference between a Mexican in Los Angeles and a Mexican in Atlanta? Still the same food.

This can go on and on lol.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:12 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
The difference between the two is that the New Orleans italian population is Sicial, which technically is not Italalian. Sometimes, they are grouped together by people who don't understand the Italian culture.

Also, NYC has a much higher percentage per capita.

You probably would not understand this unless you were from NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philly, NJ or were italian yourself.
HaHa, but technically they are. They may show pride of Sicily before the mainland of Italy, but they are Italian. Besides that I understand that there may be a cultural difference and that such a difference also exists between the North and South regions of the Italian mainland. Therefore you can't compare the two at all because each region's products will be different.

But, they are Italian

Old 11-08-2009, 04:14 PM

306 posts, read 319,618 times
Quote:
HaHa, but technically they are. They may show pride of Sicily before the mainland of Italy, but they are Italian. Besides that I understand that there may be a cultural difference and that such a difference also exists between the North and South regions of the Italian mainland. Therefore you can't compare the two at all because each regions products will be completely different.

But, they are Italian
Dude, I am Italian and my parents are from Italy.

I have more expertise in this area than you.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:17 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
Dude, I am Italian and my parents are from Italy.

I have more expertise in this area than you.
Well then you should know just how true this is.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Who cares about chain restaurants?
I mean I rather go to Angelo's over Pizza Hut, or Katz Delicatessen over Subway. In the end, no matter where you are, what is more convenient when you're on the move?

Cici's is horrible though. *Blech* I'm glad they're none (that I know of) by me.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:19 PM

937 posts, read 927,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I will also add about Atlanta the misconception that it's the most sprawled out, suburban oriented, conservative, backwards, no soul having city on the planet.

For proof against that:

YouTube - Midtown Atlanta

Yeah, people get that impression a lot, just because it's a southern city. What you describe describes Charlotte actually.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:34 PM

331 posts, read 672,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
So I cant add other neighborhoods that have a suburban feel besides those two?

Geesh, thanks for making up rules as you go along.

The fact that you are getting so incredibly defensive over this is telling...
Anyone who's been to ATL knows you're right. But some people just can't take the fact that ATL is a glorifield "suburb". Even a lot of the blacks love living in the suburbs there. Where traditionally, blacks enjoy the "city' life more.

There are no real cities in the deep south. People leave their offices and head to the burbs after work down there, the density levels prove that. Imagine if the cities up north weren't constantly losing their populations like they are, their density levels would all be well over 10,000 per sq mile.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:51 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
Anyone who's been to ATL knows you're right. But some people just can't take the fact that ATL is a glorifield "suburb". Even a lot of the blacks love living in the suburbs there. Where traditionally, blacks enjoy the "city' life more.

There are no real cities in the deep south. People leave their offices and head to the burbs after work down there, the density levels prove that. Imagine if the cities up north weren't constantly losing their populations like they are, their density levels would all be well over 10,000 per sq mile.
From what I know of Atlanta, this is true. That said, I don't see why people from Atlanta seem to dislike people referring to the city as being way more suburban than urban? If your city has some really cool and unique suburban neighborhoods that add a lot of flavor and culture to the city, what's the big deal? It's not like people are comparing Atlanta to Fresno, San Bernardino, or New Jersey (well parts of NJ). I don't think anyone would make that comparison.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:00 AM

331 posts, read 672,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
From what I know of Atlanta, this is true. That said, I don't see why people from Atlanta seem to dislike people referring to the city as being way more suburban than urban? If your city has some really cool and unique suburban neighborhoods that add a lot of flavor and culture to the city, what's the big deal? It's not like people are comparing Atlanta to Fresno, San Bernardino, or New Jersey (well parts of NJ). I don't think anyone would make that comparison.
They are VERY touchy when bring this up. They have a complex about it if you ask me. They want their big "new" homes, 2 car garages, chain restaurants and malls, yet they want to be considered "city slickers".

I really get a kick out of those people who refer to ATL as "The Mannhattan of the South". Those people are VERY dillusional to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City