Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 08:37 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
"Sorry, but Intel left the Springs years ago. It's now an office park and El Paso County's "Citizens Service Center". Where you pick up your license plates. Agilent is gone too."

Not Intel the Company, rather all the Intel agencies in the state!
Correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 08:43 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
i dont understand this question. according to the op the answers would be times square and las vegas.

going by the thread title it would be california (google, facebook, yahoo, apple, reddit, twitter, cal-tech, bsd, xerox-parc, ...) by a lot; then mass (fsf/gpl, reddit, facebook, microsoft, dec, emc, akamai, mit, harvard med, matlab, biogen, draper lab, lincoln lab, raytheon, thermo-scientific, mass-gen, mass eye & ear institute, dana-farber, ...).

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 05-28-2016 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-28-2016, 09:42 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
California, Massachusetts, small gap, Minnesota, Washington State, Texas, big gap, the rest of the country.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:45 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I perceive a technologically advanced state to be one that not only is home to a lot of high-tech companies, but rather a state that takes the most modern, most advanced, and most efficient technologies and implements them in to the daily lives of its people with respect to energy, transportation, health/medicine, research & development, and telecommunications. With that in mind, I would choose the following as standouts:

Massachusetts
Washington
Minnesota
California
Washington, DC
Texas
North Carolina
New York
Georgia
Illinois
This for the win.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i dont understand this question. according to the op the answers would be times square and las vegas.

going by the thread title it would be california (google, facebook, yahoo, apple, reddit, twitter, cal-tech, bsd, xerox-parc, ...) by a lot; then mass (fsf/gpl, reddit, facebook, microsoft, dec, emc, akamai, mit, harvard med, matlab, biogen, draper lab, lincoln lab, raytheon, thermo-scientific, mass-gen, mass eye & ear institute, dana-farber, ...).
thinking back on my answer, seems like california has more brand names and mass has more under-the-hood tech development.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:09 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Kollyfornia first by a long shot, then probably Mass and Wash state.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Atlanta does have some cool features that I haven't seen in other cities, although I'm sure a lot of them do, such as TV screens on buses that display the GPS and the LED screens at the MARTA station platforms that display news, weather, and sports in addition to the train info. Also those trash cans at the airport are pretty cool, and speaking of the ATL Airport, that is also where I see a lot of hi-tech stuff. If anyone lived in Atlanta in the 80's, they might remember when the airport subway train had a robotic voice, which made me wonder if they were trying to go for a futuristic theme.
good points... last time i was in boston the red line trains would talk.
there was a mall with a world foot locker with a 30 foot rotating hat rack.
on newbury the nike-town had a shoe elevator that you would order on a touch screen.
(but boston seems more historic than futuristic).

what city has the most airports, subways and grocery stores with the most talking robots ?
e.g.-
2 hydrogen refueling stations to open in Massachusetts next year - News and reviews - Boston.com

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 05-29-2016 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-29-2016, 09:24 AM

102 posts, read 129,543 times
California and Washington state are the top two.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:30 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Washington has a good case for coming in second.

In terms of tech "brand names," it's an easy call. Microsoft and Amazon are two of the top five or so. Secondary brands like Expedia (and the competitors it's purchased), Zillow, etc. round that out. Also a large presence with Adobe, Facebook, Google, and seemingly every other tech company. We've been getting massive overflow from San Francisco lately.

Seattle has always had a cell phone presence. Today T-Mobile is the big HQ.

Aerospace is obviously huge. It's not just Boeing's 80,000 workers in commercial/military aviation, weapon systems, etc. It's also SpaceX, Blue Origins, and Vulcan Aerospace on the commercial space travel front.

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is a big federal lab in the Tri Cities, which claims to have more PhDs per capita than any other metro, or something like that. The Hanford Nuclear Reservation is historically part of that.

The military has numerous major bases. Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard are all big. Lots of tech.

Data centers have proliferated in the Columbia River Valley near hydroelectric dams. They're huge power users and power is cheap in Washington.

We're a leading second-tier state for medical research after California, Maryland, and Massachusetts. The University of Washington is usually the #1 public university for NIH grants and others like the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Institute are big.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
good points... last time i was in boston the red line trains would talk.
there was a mall with a world foot locker with a 30 foot rotating hat rack.
on newbury the nike-town had a shoe elevator that you would order on a touch screen.
(but boston seems more historic than futuristic).

what city has the most airports, subways and grocery stores with the most talking robots ?
e.g.-
2 hydrogen refueling stations to open in Massachusetts next year - News and reviews - Boston.com
bos <-> nyc <-> dc has acela.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City