Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick One Please
Portland, OR 0 0%
Seattle, WA 0 0%
San Diego, CA 1 7.14%
Bay Area, CA 1 7.14%
Houston, TX 2 14.29%
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX 1 7.14%
Atlanta, GA 1 7.14%
Charlotte, NC 0 0%
Phoenix, AZ 1 7.14%
San Antonio, TX 1 7.14%
Miami, FL 0 0%
Orlando, FL 0 0%
New York City, NY 1 7.14%
Boston, MA 2 14.29%
Philadelphia, PA 3 21.43%
Other (specify if possible) 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:32 PM

39 posts, read 143,830 times

Advertisements

So basically, I'm wondering what city you guys think would suit me best in the poll based on the following criteria (I realize this will get long, so if you just read the bold categories, that should give you enough key words without having to read through the whole explanation):

Warm Weather: Weather isn't a huge deal but I can't deal with excessive cold. I really enjoy warm weather, but I also don't mind the 4 seasons style of weather that New England has or the never too cold, never too hot style that Seattle/Portland have. I just hate below 0 temps for extended periods of time.

Sports Scene and Outdoor Recreation Options: Again, this isn't that big of a deal because I'll be able to have fun no matter where I go, but a city that has a good selection of outdoor activities (i.e. I enjoy snowboarding, golf, tennis, rafting, wakeboarding, etc.) would be very nice but not the end of the world.

Cost of Living: This one is huge. I think I want to pursue a career as an accountant/CPA, so I'd like a place that doesn't demand I become an MD at Goldman Sachs to survive (yes, I'm aware that one can even live in NYC without being a banker, so I want to point out that last statement was an exaggeration). Basically, I think I have enough in me to be well above average, but I doubt I'll ever be super rich so super high cost of living doesn't suit me.

Job Opportunities/Potential to Grow: Since I want to be a CPA and potentially join another company later on as a CFO/Controller, having good job opportunities is important to me. However, I also really want to join a city that maybe hasn't fully developed yet but has the potential to really boom in the future. That's something I'm really into.

So if you guys have any insight, that would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
I say go anywhere you have opportunities to learn & grow. My uncle started out as a CPA, but switched into management consulting and then worked at a boutique bank doing bridge financing and now guides start-ups in securing venture capital.

Just because you study & degree in a certain subject doesn't mean that's where life will ultimately take you. If you graduated summa *** laude, Phi Beta Kappa & aced the CPA exam, choose a large metropolis that offers a variety of industries that can employ your financial skills, so that if a layoff does occur-and trust me it happens!-you can easily transition to other businesses. And if you're not at the top of your class, apply EVERYWHERE and go where you get an offer. In these tough economic times, most ppl don't have the option to choose their locale. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2010, 04:41 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
I'll put four cities for each category, from left to right, (best to not as good as the best)

Warm Weather
: Houston, Los Angeles, Dallas, Tampa

Sports Scene and Outdoor Recreation Options: Los Angeles, Tampa, Dallas, Houston

Cost of Living: Houston, Dallas, Tampa, Los Angeles

Job Opportunities/Potential to Grow: Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Tampa

Overall: I think Houston will be good for you, so will Dallas as far as career, cost of living, and warm weather go, but for sports and recreation LA and Tampa are better.

Other possibilities: Atlanta (All the same reasons as Houston and Dallas), Miami (Weather and Sports)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City