Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline looks better?
Dallas 218 33.44%
San Francisco 434 66.56%
Voters: 652. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:41 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit2 View Post
I figured you had not seen the complete list of towers for Dallas on the last pages of Emporis so I knew it was an innocent mistake!
Thanks..I didnt see it.

Guess I was too reliant on their accuracy and didnt look deeper.

Quote:
When I add up the total number of towers from your list built in San Francisco since 2000 I come up with 15 towers that are 300 feet or taller and 23 that are between 12 and 24 stories in height for a total of 38
Dallas has a total of 47 towers built since 2000 that are in the same range.
Well I will bite the bullet and concede that point. But considering my argument earlier about SFs notoriously famous reputation for being anti-development, I think SF was more of a surprise overall.

Quote:
So really it is not exactly "basically we're back where we started with San Francisco at an advantage even when we factor in projects that came online on or later than 2000."
Actually we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

In my opinion, if you look at Dallas main cluster, there isnt much of a difference at all whereas San Francisco added a game changer of a tower in One Rincon Hill and literally created a new focal point in an already dense and vibrant downtown. Mission Street was an unimportant address in 2000 yet today its lined with about a dozen new towers, one soaring over 600 feet.

Of course I am very happy that both cities did a lot in the 2000s and I am excited to see how both of them develop in the decade(s) to come.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:11 AM

66 posts, read 152,470 times
^^^^^^^

It sounds like what San Francisco has enjoyed with One Rincon Tower's construction is occuring right now in Downtown Dallas with the construction of Museum Tower in the Downtown Dallas Arts District.

One Rincon Tower is 605 feet tall and Museum Tower is 560 feet tall. Both are located just slightly outside the main cluster of taller skyscrapers in both respective cities.

What is happening is that Museum Tower in Dallas is pulling the Downtown Financial District so far north that it melds seamlessly into the explosive highrise growth of the Uptown and Victory Park Districts of Downtown where around 11,000,000 square feet of new office towers have been constructed since around 2005/2006.

And there are several 700+ foot tall towers in the pipeline planned for the immediate Museum Tower area, along with one tower upwards of 1040 feet in height, plus nine or so 300-375 foot to near 700 foot towers in the near term pipeline for the Uptown District.

One Rincon Tower for San Francisco and Museum Tower for Dallas are both game changers.

Immediately below is a recent photo of the Downtown Dallas corridor shot from the air on 03-24-11.

It looks very Los Angeles-like in the way dense highrise and skyscraper development stretches in a long swath outward from the Downtown Financial District.

The expansive and highly acclaimed Dallas Medical District can be seen in the lower left hand corner of the photo. Two new massive hospitals, Parkland and St. Paul amounting to 3.8 million square feet at $2.1 billion dollars in investment, are currently under construction in the Dallas Medical District: Dallas Medical District to expand by 3.8 million square feet, 10-12-10 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52949402@N03/5080230744/in/set-72157625305567566 - broken link)

In the lower right hand corner foreground is the new urban frontier of West Dallas. The Santiago Calatrava designed bridge can be seen straddling the Trinity River as the gateway between Downtown Dallas and West Dallas. The Calatrava Bridge is still under construction and will feature "Golden Gate Bridge" like suspension wires stretching in both directions of the 400 foot tall arch and will be illuminated at night: Calatrava Bridge with Downtown Dallas 1, 01-31-11 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/52949402@N03/5408910231/ - broken link)

West Dallas will hold over 30,000,000 square feet of dense skyscraper and highrise development immediately across from the current footprint of Downtown Dallas. This growth is planned to occur over the next 17 years and was approved by the Dallas City Council in early March, 2011: http://www.dallascityhall.com/cityde...debook-eng.pdf

And the Trinity River will be transformed into a 10,000 acre park for the City of Dallas that will feature sports venues, ecological preserves, canoe rapids, park spaces, performance spaces, and will become a major magnet for growth in the City Center. The Trinity River Parks development is a $3.0 billion dollar project that will be equivalent to Treasure Island in San Francisco as it will spur untold billions in development stretching along its path.

What is happening in Dallas is that the dense skyscraper and highrise swath that is seen in the image from the traditional Financial District northward (and will include in the future the new urban frontier of West Dallas to the west) is getting denser and denser with more and more highrise and skyscraper tower development. In the next 20 years, this area will begin to look more like Chicago as it continues to fill in and the density reaches ever greater heights and mass.

Click "full image" to better see the below image:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by skys the limit2; 03-31-2011 at 12:21 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 05:28 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
San Francisco has more substance... Dallas is more glossy. At street level, its not even close.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
SF. Better location and style.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:59 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
I haven't visited Emporis.com since it was skyscrapers.com. That site turned to pure garbage. Yeah, Emporis, I really want to read about a building that might be built someday if there is enough funding.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:01 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times
Hey Atlantagreg, there is a skyline thread open! You better close it!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Hey Atlantagreg, there is a skyline thread open! You better close it!
Hey knke0204 - if you read the room sticky, you'll see that this thread is grandfathered in due to the age of it and it's not a "new" thread to be closed.

However, if you really want it closed, just say so - I'll close it just for you and then you can go back to "that other site" where those topics should be discussed anyway.

Worry about THE TOPIC and post on it. Or not.

Thank you

Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit2 View Post
^^^^^^^

It sounds like what San Francisco has enjoyed with One Rincon Tower's construction is occuring right now in Downtown Dallas with the construction of Museum Tower in the Downtown Dallas Arts District.

One Rincon Tower is 605 feet tall and Museum Tower is 560 feet tall. Both are located just slightly outside the main cluster of taller skyscrapers in both respective cities.

One Rincon Tower for San Francisco and Museum Tower for Dallas are both game changers.

At the same time Rincon was under construction (641 feet), Millenium was also under construction at 645 feet, but I think Montclair was saying that Rincon stretched out the skyline more than Millenium because its surrounded by tall buildings. San Francisco had a decent boom adding 7 towers over 400 feet tall. Most of Dallas' growth occured in what theyve coined uptown, but they are all modest heigh buildings, but lots of them. Museum tower looks nice.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,647,570 times
This thread is a joke. The problem with the Dallas Skyline is that it is in Dallas.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:49 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
This thread is a joke. The problem with the Dallas Skyline is that it is in Dallas.
I agree.

This thread is a joke, but where should Dallas' skyline be? In Vegas?

Dallas has historically had a glitzy & colorful nighttime skyline. Thats what Dallas is known for, just like Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City