Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 06:08 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Charts don't mean anything, but since you displayed that one, LA is clearly not too far in ranking from NYC overall as a global center. So, posting that only highlights the capacities of both cities.

You can't bash LA in order to prop up NYC. It's just not viable. You have the same kind of perspective that I've encountered from other New Yorkers. It's crazy.
Yes, that is the curious thing. I think some New Yorkers protest too much that is raises the question, why? Bashing another city to win points for New York is actually a disservice to NYC.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:10 PM

New Yorkers most definitely are intimidated of LA, but why? If someone is insecure they tend to throw the first punch. Is this a fight?

Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,715 times
I think the biggest "tell" or what gives away NYC's complex away regarding LA is the level of adamancy that boosters go to deny it and fight it.

It should not be that serious, but the numbers of posts here suggest otherwise. In my opinion and real life observations, New Yorkers probably envy LA's weather, lifestyle, and glamour. Simply because a very high quality of it is there and it comes so effortlessly. It's just a different lifestyle, which is not for everybody, but I'm sure many New Yorkers yearn for and would probably prefer. Dealing with the weather is hard. Dealing with the high costs is hard. Dealing with the rat race is hard.

It's the very same reason that so many people all over the world dream of California, because we export a certain culture, a positive vibe, and we make it look so damn easy.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 12-15-2009 at 06:28 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 06:59 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Aight LA is tooting their horn a lil too much now so let me dead it.lol

New yorkers are not intimidated by la at all. We look at LA the same way we would miami or hawaii. We look at it as a vacation,chillax spot. From a city perspective, we are not intimidated by anything the world has to offer, let alone Los Angelos. So stop it

The competition for american culture stronghold is competitive and interesting to us though

Old 12-15-2009, 07:10 PM

The other issue for New Yorkers is the state of California. Measuring LA against NYC shows that Los Angeles is smaller & less ego-centric than New York city. But once you factor in California, Los Angeles takes on an even taller profile. New York state is very conservative & even NYC is more Republican than California & esp Los Angeles. More progressive thinkers in LA in comparison to NYC's size.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 PM

981 posts, read 806,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post

New yorkers are not intimidated by la at all. We look at LA the same way we would miami or hawaii. We look at it as a vacation,chillax spot. From a city perspective, we are not intimidated by anything the world has to offer, let alone Los Angelos. So stop it

The competition for american culture stronghold is competitive and interesting to us though
Hmmm...I thought I heard something...must be the California breeze.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 PM

8,635 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:

LOL.

I doubt that New Yorkers are not intimidated "at all" by LA or other places. I bet the ratio of people living outside of NYC knowing more about NYC is much higher than the ratio of NY'ers who know as much about cities outside of NY. That is what ticks people off when SOME NY'ers claim to know so much about other cities, but once they open their mouths, it's pretty obvious that they don't.

In wonder how many NY'ers actually care to visit all of the cultural or entertainment sites in NYC that they like to tout so much. I'll bet that if I polled all of the people living in the NY/NJ/CT/PA CSA, at least half of them have never even seen a Broadway show, nor visited a museum in NYC.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:32 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
LOL.

I doubt that New Yorkers are not intimidated "at all" by LA or other places. I bet the ratio of people living outside of NYC knowing more about NYC is much higher than the ratio of NY'ers who know as much about cities outside of NY. That is what ticks people off when SOME NY'ers claim to know so much about other cities, but once they open their mouths, it's pretty obvious that they don't.

In wonder how many NY'ers actually care to visit all of the cultural or entertainment sites in NYC that they like to tout so much. I'll bet that if I polled all of the people living in NY(edit-we cant account for the rest) , at least half of them have never even seen a Broadway show, nor visited a museum in NYC.
Well for starters if your a native new yorker its almost impossible to have never been to a broadway show or museum. You go to a hundred of those thanks to public school alone lol.

The notion that new york is so intimidated by la, and all la thinks is that nyc is a blip on the map is laughable

Old 12-15-2009, 07:45 PM

8,635 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Well for starters if your a native new yorker its almost impossible to have never been to a broadway show or museum. You go to a hundred of those thanks to public school alone lol.

The notion that new york is so intimidated by la, and all la thinks is that nyc is a blip on the map is laughable
I believe we CAN account for the rest. If NY Metro wants to claim stake to being the largest CSA in the US, then you must include the entire NY/NJ/CT/PA CSA. I know many people who didn't necessarily live IN the city that have NEVER seen a Broadway show. They are natives.

BTW, I never said that New York is so intimidated by LA, you had said that New Yorkers are not intimidated at all by LA, which is painting quite a broad stroke. I also never said that all of LA thinks that NYC is a blip. I was simply stating that YES, NY'ers DO brag about themselves (or their city), YES, they do not seem to understand (in general) much about LA, nor do they take the time to, and YES, LA is aware of the "greatness" of NY, but it is only a blip on their radar as well. Lastly, most of LA's success was NOT on the coattails on NYC.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:

No one has stated that NYC is a blip. You are projecting your own doubt. Nobody is claiming LA is superior or more sophisticated than New York. Doesn't sophistication mean honesty and graciousness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City