Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:35 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

Which city do you all think has a nicer style of houses/type of housing?
I like the houses in Atlanta better, but the suburbs sprawl more there. The houses sit on bigger plots of land and there is more space between them and more space between the suburbs themselves. Its a double edged sword. Its nice because you can really feel like you are 100's of miles between the a large city, but youre only 25 miles from downtown Atlanta, but its also alot harder to get from place to place.

In Dallas, the houses are closer together and more cookie-cutter. They are also cheaper.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:36 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Steve Harvey's radio show is now based out of Atlanta, so I'm pretty sure he has a house here.

I know that his show used to be based out of Dallas back in the 90's and he had a house there, but I think he had a nasty divorce from his previous wife, so I'm pretty sure she is still out in Texas in their home.
What about Rickey Smiley? I keep hearing rumors about how he's moved to Atlanta, but his myspace still says Dallas, and I know his son is up there.

Quote:
Which city do you all think has a nicer style of houses/type of housing?
I think both cities are equal in this aspect, but I may give a slight slight edge to Dallas. Judging from what I've seen.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
[quote=MrMcCoySays;12065116]
Quote:
Steve Harvey's radio show is now based out of Atlanta, so I'm pretty sure he has a house here.

I know that his show used to be based out of Dallas back in the 90's and he had a house there, but I think he had a nasty divorce from his previous wife, so I'm pretty sure she is still out in Texas in their home.

What about Rickey Smiley? I keep hearing rumors about how he's moved to Atlanta, but his myspace still says Dallas, and I know his son is up there.

I think both cities are equal in this aspect, but I may give a slight slight edge to Dallas. Judging from what I've seen.

Rickey Smiley still does the morning show and lives up in McKinny, Texas (suburb of Dallas). That's what I missed about living in Waco (we got stations from Dallas). Driving to school; I'd listen to Rickey Smiley Morning Show (Deez Nuts!).

Old 12-17-2009, 08:50 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
You see how Atlanta's winning because we are talking about its celebs? HYPE!
Nobody said they voted for Atlanta because of celebrities. You should really learn the difference between correlation and causation.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:50 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
[quote=jluke65780;12065193]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post

Rickey Smiley still does the morning show and lives up in McKinny, Texas (suburb of Dallas). That's what I missed about living in Waco (we got stations from Dallas). Driving to school; I'd listen to Rickey Smiley Morning Show (Deez Nuts!).
Yeah when I was in Killeen we would sometimes get an okay reception from Dallas and we could hear the show, but we would mostly listen to Tom Joyner (when it used to be funny) every morning.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:52 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
[quote=jluke65780;12065193]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post

I thought the Rickey Smiley show recently relocated to Atlanta?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:58 AM

[quote=grindin;12065357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

I thought the Rickey Smiley show recently relocated to Atlanta?
It probably did to be honest; I been in Houston and we don't get it down here.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I like the houses in Atlanta better, but the suburbs sprawl more there. The houses sit on bigger plots of land and there is more space between them and more space between the suburbs themselves. Its a double edged sword. Its nice because you can really feel like you are 100's of miles between the a large city, but youre only 25 miles from downtown Atlanta, but its also alot harder to get from place to place.
One thing that annoys me about a lot of the neighborhoods out here, especially the newer ones is that there are VERY few privacy fences. Many times, you're pretty much sharing your backyard with everyone else. I'm a true believer that "good fences make good neighbors". In many areas, you have to pay extra in order to have a privacy fence built (if you're getting a new house). What if I want to sunbathe naked in my backyard? Not that I would, but you understand what I mean?

One of my friends recently bought a house and we're always joking about having a backyard barbecue, but he didn't want to bother with chaining a grill to his house.

You also have a lot of people who move here with the mentality of "wanting to be away from the city," so large lots are in demand out here, and the developers build accordingly. I have a cousin from the DC area who goes to college here that is always making remarks about how "suburban" Atlanta looked to him. "You can pretty much tell when you're leaving DC and into Maryland, " he says. And he is right to an extent.

And you are right about it being hard getting from place to place here. One of the reasons why the freeway traffic here is so bad is that the arterial system SUCKS. Lots of two lane, winding roads, and the major corridors aren't as wide as they are in Dallas. I think Buford Highway and a few roads in Gwinnett County are our widest roads. Of course, there are terrain reasons for this, but it is a major PITA to drive around many parts of the city.

Quote:
In Dallas, the houses are closer together and more cookie-cutter. They are also cheaper.
So much for the "wide open spaces" stereotype, huh? I hate yard work, so I wouldn't mind a smaller yard anyhow. I also notice that phenomenon of entering your garage from a rear alleyway is very prevalent in Dallas. I don't even see that in Houston that much.

When you say "cheaper", do you mean in price or quality of build? Because Atlanta certainly has its share shoddily constructed housing. The place I'm living in right now is cheaply built. For the last year or so, I've had the pleasure of sharing a thin wall with some couple that seem to have boundless energy throughout the night, not to mention the loud dogs. I'm in the process of moving, so I won't have to deal with that for too much longer.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 AM

[quote=jluke65780;12065438]
Quote:

It probably did to be honest; I been in Houston and we don't get it down here.

Y'all also don't get Mike Baisden down there either, right? The few times I listen to his show, he laments about not being in the Houston radio market.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:45 AM

[quote=grindin;12065533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Y'all also don't get Mike Baisden down there either, right? The few times I listen to his show, he laments about not being in the Houston radio market.
I don't think we do. Ever since I moved to Houston; I usually just listen to my Ipod. The stations down here suck bad. We only have one Hip Hop station and the majority of them are tejano music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City