Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Maybe cause there are better places to live for black folks besides the Metroplex?
wow, you hit the nail on the head, slam dunk, case closed, close this thread down, Overcooked understands. Could it possibly be that the overall black population is not growing at an exponential rate like the hispanic population? I don't know, you seem to be the expert when it comes to the metroplex.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
When I say diversity i do not mean just by race,Decatur has one of the highest amounts of same sex couples in America.Particularly lesbians.

Also foreign born populations can be apart of diversity.Economic disparity should also play a role.

While Decatur and Fort Worth are not close in their population totals,they are both distinct areas that have there own Central and defined district areas with characteristics that make them individuals instead of just being in Dallas/Atlanta shadow.
Not a good comparsion. You are talking about a city that closing in on a million residents to a city that is roughly the size of Forest Hill, Texas. Even than Decatur is still not more diverse than Forest Hill.

Forest Hill, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forest Hill Pop. 13,000

57% African American

34% White

18% Hispanic

6% Other races

Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Maybe cause there are better places to live for black folks besides the Metroplex?

Like I said earlier, the only black folks that like Dallas/FW are (1) The country slave mentality locals who have never lived anywhere else and therefore don't know any better, (2) Folks from smaller towns who haven't never been anywhere or (3) Peope who couldn't cut it in another city, so had to settle for Texas.
Very ignorant statement, but not surprising coming from you.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
wow, you hit the nail on the head, slam dunk, case closed, close this thread down, Overcooked understands. Could it possibly be that the overall black population is not growing at an exponential rate like the hispanic population? I don't know, you seem to be the expert when it comes to the metroplex.
She doesn't realize that the black population is growing but the hispanic population is booming not just in DFW but nationwide. Regardless of any race gain the percentages will be compressed due to the hispanics community rapid growth.

As a black american in the state of Texas pecentages no longer matter, but what does matter is overall black gains. This is the new Texas we live in and its up to the black community and other ethnic groups in Texas to adapt.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Very ignorant statement, but not surprising coming from you.
I agree her comment was very ignorant.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Like I said earlier, the only black folks that like Dallas/FW are (1) The country slave mentality locals who have never lived anywhere else and therefore don't know any better, (2) Folks from smaller towns who haven't never been anywhere or (3) Peope who couldn't cut it in another city, so had to settle for Texas.
I have loss all respect for you. Your comments where very insulting to me as a long time black DFW residents, my family, and the rest of the DFW black community. Your comments crossed the line.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
She doesn't realize that the black population is growing but the hispanic population is booming not just in DFW but nationwide. Regardless of any race gain the percentages will be compressed due to the hispanics community rapid growth.

As a black american in the state of Texas pecentages no longer matter, but what does matter is overall black gains. This is the new Texas we live in and its up to the black community and other ethnic groups in Texas to adapt.
Absolutely. African-Americans are still coming here, but Latinos are flooding the area. No other demographic can compete. By Overcooked Oatmeal's logic, only Latino's (and to a lesser degree Asians) are welcome here because those are the demographic percentages that are going up.

Maybe what Overcooked Oatmeal should have pointed out was the fact that the percentage of white residents is dropping faster than any. Perhaps its because DFW is simply too racist and old fashioned for whites to comfortably live here.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
HELLO -- Overcooked - a lot of black people were born and raised here in the city and still live here! Black people are not a recent development in Dallas.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Not a good comparsion. You are talking about a city that closing in on a million residents to a city that is roughly the size of Forest Hill, Texas. Even than Decatur is still not more diverse than Forest Hill.

Forest Hill, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forest Hill Pop. 13,000

57% African American

34% White

18% Hispanic

6% Other races
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/71/Atlanta-suburbs.png (broken link)
Atlanta metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the grey are cities, the white is unincorporated area, this is not all 28 counties but most of them. look how small the city limits are and notice that they're surrounded by unincorporated area, over half the Metro population live in unincorporated area, the city limits of Atlanta is tiny itself. If Atlanta had the city limits size of FT Worth it would be over a million. Decatur is in Dekalb County, FT worth has a larger Area then Dekalb County but look at the population
Dekalb county is 737,093 in 271 sq mi
Fort Worth is 703,073 in 298.9 sq mi
that's why I said "Think of it this way Metro Atlanta is broken into more but smaller units, and DFW is broken into less but larger units."

Old 01-26-2010, 11:27 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
HELLO -- Overcooked - a lot of black people were born and raised here in the city and still live here! Black people are not a recent development in Dallas.
I knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City