Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:28 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Maybe cause there are better places to live for black folks besides the Metroplex?

Like I said earlier, the only black folks that like Dallas/FW are (1) The country slave mentality locals who have never lived anywhere else and therefore don't know any better, (2) Folks from smaller towns who haven't never been anywhere or (3) Peope who couldn't cut it in another city, so had to settle for Texas.
wow man. This was really really uncalled for. I know many transplants that have moved to the DFW metroplex and loved it and did not consider any other place. Dallas has been a magnent for Black Americans for a while and it had the 2nd largest growth behind Atlanta in the 1990s.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Atlanta metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the grey are cities, the white is unincorporated area, this is not all 28 counties but most of them. look how small the city limits are and notice that they're surrounded by unincorporated area, over half the Metro population live in unincorporated area, the city limits of Atlanta is tiny itself. If Atlanta had the city limits size of FT Worth it would be over a million. Decatur is in Dekalb County, FT worth has a larger Area then Dekalb County but look at the population
Dekalb county is 737,093 in 271 sq mi
Fort Worth is 703,073 in 298.9 sq mi
that's why I said "Think of it this way Metro Atlanta is broken into more but smaller units, and DFW is broken into less but larger units."
If 9,28,36,45,33,25,56,48 were all to incorporate into one city, (I guess Decatur) it would probally be one of the most diverse cities in the south.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 AM

965 posts, read 1,885,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I have loss all respect for you. Your comments where very insulting to me as a long time black DFW residents, my family, and the rest of the DFW black community. Your comments crossed the line.
I'm so hurt. I'll be sure to tell my therapist.

I'm just trying to help y'all out, I just feel there are better and more progressive communities out there than Dallas, that's all.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:38 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
I'm so hurt. I'll be sure to tell my therapist.

I'm just trying to help y'all out, I just feel there are better and more progressive communities out there than Dallas, that's all.
And there probably is but that does not mean that there aren't any prosperous and progressive communities for Black Americans in the DFW metroplex. To say the only reason people like the area because people still have the slave mentality and does not know any better is very ignorant. Or people who couldn't cut it in another city? That is 100% false.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:41 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,069 times
Quote:
Maybe cause there are better places to live for black folks besides the Metroplex?

Like I said earlier, the only black folks that like Dallas/FW are (1) The country slave mentality locals who have never lived anywhere else and therefore don't know any better, (2) Folks from smaller towns who haven't never been anywhere or (3) Peope who couldn't cut it in another city, so had to settle for Texas.

What in the world?!

I know plenty of natives and transplants in the DFW area that seem to like it just fine and they aren't "slaves" who "can't cut it somewhere else". How insulting.

It seems like your hatred of Dallas is downright pathological. You need a hug or something?

I'm supposed to be coming down to D/FW for the All Star Game. I know I shouldn't expect to see people picking cotton on the side of the Stemmons Freeway. Sheesh...

Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Blacks settle for Texas??? Yet we recently just surpassed GA in our black population and we have the second fastest growing black population in the country after GA......

Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes,your'e right but other people who read these forums might be inclined to believe such nonsense if left unchallenged.Opinion can become reality if left to stand as the truth or fact.For a city I love,I cannot allow that to happen.So even though I know and You know what HE knows he is doing,I find it easy to pick untrue statements apart.Actually it only makes him less credible or maybe unintelligent.(I'm not one to judge which).lol
Its not nonsense at all. I'm not going to argue but I have reasons for how I feel. And yes it is a personal opinion of mine. I do prefer Dallas over Atlanta. When I refer to "quality of life" I refer to the fact that you can walk around Dallas and you do not have to deal with the huge number of homeless and crackheads walking around like zombies like you see in ATL.
You can't pretend this isn't a major blemish on the city of Atlanta. Yes, there are homeless in Dallas but not nearly the serious social issues that Atlanta has and there are police all over Dallas, which makes a huge difference in the perception of crime. As for infrastructure. Yes, Atlanta is upgrading its sewer and repaved the connector and such, but I feel like it takes the cheap way out. The 17th street bridge was supposed to be a Calatrava bridge but nope GDOT built that yellow thing instead and for the Beltline they were discussing having rubber wheeled trains like long buses instead of actual trains because its cheaper, how does that cut down on pollution? As for the rail expansion issue, it's great that Atlanta voted back in the 60s to build a heavy rail system. They were thinking ahead, but last year Gwinnett voted down Marta again. That way of thinking is very frustrating for me. Dallas plans on a regional level and already has commuter rail and trolley service in place which Atlanta does not have, so you cant say Atlanta is ahead of Dallas, more people ride Marta because it is more established, Dart rail is a newer concept for Dallas. I would like to know the ridership numbers for Marta in its first years and maybe more people ride Marta because it tends to have higher ridership in mostly poorer neighborhoods and they need to use it for a sole means of transportation perhaps. Dart mostly services the northside areas of Dallas which tend to be more affluent. I just feel that Dallas is proactive in the little things that make a difference. To name a few, no smoking in the bars, bars do not close at midnight on Sunday. The construction of the new arts district, design district and museums right in the city center. Atlanta has the woodruff arts complex. I am a visual and performing arts freak and I think there are more diverse options here than what Atlanta has to offer. I guess I get so frustrated because for the longest time I was always rooting for Atlanta and it seemed like each thing I got excited about for the city was a disappointment. When I visited Dallas for the first time, you can see that they take pride in building quality developments and infrastructure even if it costs a little more now, in the long run it will pay off is the attitude they have here. Thats the same outlook I have on life and I feel that Dallas is a good fit for me.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:

Yes the blacks in Atlanta have so much more national appeal. I just love that pants on the ground song that debuted on American Idol. I was with a group of people when that came on and they were all like "OMG I would never even visit Atlanta". Makes me so proud to have lived there for 6 years. lol

Old 01-26-2010, 12:11 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Yes the blacks in Atlanta have so much more national appeal. I just love that pants on the ground song that debuted on American Idol. I was with a group of people when that came on and they were all like "OMG I would never even visit Atlanta". Makes me so proud to have lived there for 6 years. lol
Huh?

And old man who was part of the civil rights movement who made a silly song about a fashion he doesn't like makes you not want to visit or even embaressed to have lived in Atlanta?

again
HUH?

Old 01-26-2010, 12:14 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Nothing more than racist "code speak."

This post speaks volumes as to why you "perceive" race relations to be so bad here. I'm sure in your mind, they are.

You have issues, not the least of which is hanging out with people that would make a knee-jerk reaction to a place after seeing an American Idol tryout. What a ridiculous observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City