Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
+1, Best post I've seen in this silly sibling rivalry contest.

New Joisey as New York's sibling? How long have you lived in New York now?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:30 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I got to give it to Tommy 37,

For a while there he was battling all of you NY defenders like a champ. I don't know where he went. I liked his tenacity. Problem is, you are comparing a city of 200,000 to boroughs of 2 plus million. This is why they cannot be compared. Yeah, sure you can find some slow spots in the buroughs. But they aren't all over like some would leave you to believe. The buroughs rock. Personally, I like them better than Manhattan. Most true NY'ers will tell you this, but many don't want to hear it. They just point to Manhattan and say that is why you are famous. But the truth is, the Buroughs would all be considered world class cities themselves, weather Manhattan was there or not. Manhattan is nice. But it is mostly for business, tourists and the like. (I have to edit in here. There are over 1.6 million residents in Manhattan so I didn't mean to minimize.) But the real energy anymore is in the buroughs. At least the kind of energy that can come with a certain unknown quality.

However,

Having said that. Jersey isn't exactly rural either. I give Jersey it's props. On state by state basis, they are the most urban. There isn't much country in Jersey. Everything gets connected. so I also agree with some of the Jersey defenders. Jersey has some rough spots too. Don't take Jersey lightly. But come on the truth is it's all one metro. They are more similar than not. Nothings going to come as close to NYC as certain parts of Jersey. That's not hard to accept. Jersey's coulture is more in mesh with NYC than any other city. Give them that due. They practically live there the way they infiltrate the city.

Are the exactly alike? No, of course not. But give them there due. There pretty similar in urban appeal.

By the way. As far as the referrence to baseball being played in Jersey first. That's true, because there was no place to put it in Manhattan. It was NY'ers who put it there. Just like they put Giants stadium there. They understand that that part of Jersey is associated with NY. Tunnel or not.

Bicker aside, I see it all as one metro area. I don't look down on Jersey'ians, yet I do understand NY'ers resentment. Although it is very similar. It still is not just like. The Buroughs are special in there own right. Don't let alot of these nay sayers tell you different. They just are too afraid to step foot in them so they just assume whatever. The Buroughs are more NYC than Manhattan is. That's just my opinion. No time to edit, hope my stuff aint to off.

I guess in the end this fued seems silly. Why hate your neighbor. It's like a city smacking around it's suburbs. No pun intended. There as inter connected as any other place. I don't get the disrespect. Personally, I think Jersey has contributed a lot to this country.
Finally, a post that actually means something.

KONY says NJ lost , but considers his opinion a victory. This post at least attempts to bridge sides of feuding siblings.

Last edited by 66nexus; 01-04-2010 at 11:44 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 12:06 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Finally, a post that actually means something.

KONY says NJ lost , but considers his opinion a victory. This post at least attempts to bridge sides of feuding siblings.
'" whats that all about. The jersey arrogance is crazy

How is it an opinion. Theres no place in jersey more known than brooklyn

Theres no place in jersey as diverse as queens

Theres no place in jersey that created pop culture..world reknown like the bronx. Theres also no constant cultural entity in jersey on the level of the yankees. The teams u do have represent me, not nj

And jersey period doesnt have a big multi-cultural presence like the boroughs. Dude, a couple pages ago posted parades in new jersey. Lol all of those parades were the, local secondary, parades compared to what goes on in the boroughs. Puerto rican culture in patterson is no where the authentic puerto rican culture in the bronx. Same thing with the other cultures with brooklyn and queens

Old 01-05-2010, 12:12 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
'" whats that all about. The jersey arrogance is crazy

How is it an opinion. Theres no place in jersey more known than brooklyn

Theres no place in jersey as diverse as queens

Theres no place in jersey that created pop culture..world reknown like the bronx. Theres also no constant cultural entity in jersey on the level of the yankees. The teams u do have represent me, not nj

And jersey period doesnt have a big multi-cultural presence like the boroughs. Dude, a couple pages ago posted parades in new jersey. Lol all of those parades were the, local secondary, parades compared to what goes on in the boroughs. Puerto rican culture in patterson is no where the authentic puerto rican culture in the bronx. Same thing with the other cultures with brooklyn and queens
Yeah-yeah-yawn...you said it all before.

Until you conduct a national survey which concludes that more folks know about the boroughs then you simply have no leg to stand on.

'But come on' just doesn't cut it.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Yeah-yeah-yawn...you said it all before.

Until you conduct a national survey which concludes that more folks know about the boroughs then you simply have no leg to stand on.

'But come on' just doesn't cut it.
What i said in that post sums up why more ppl would know. Ya havent even brought up one thing, ppl AROUND THE WORLD could possibly identify with jersey. How do i not have a leg to stand on, when u know all that is true

Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 AM

269 posts, read 469,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
cilvaringz said on one of his albums/tapes that he learned to speak english from listening to wu tang. and in one of the vids you had a kid from (a non english speaking part of) europe calling himself moongod?? making rza style beats?? associated with wu tang? come on, son.

you are not that dense. these ppl speak like us. they walk like us, they talk like us, they produce music like us and they are not from nyc at all. the power of music, son.

I didn't want to get into this, but this is just ridiculous. "These" people who "speak like you" are seriously the crap of society here. Obviously if someone had to learn English from Wutang (when English lessons start here in Kindergarten), well...that just speaks for itself. The educated, productive members of this country speak English with either a British accent or a standard American accent, depending on which you learn in school.

But then, you have no idea what you are talking about since I highly doubt you have stepped over to this side of the ocean. And please, don't come over here. If you walk around telling everyone they speak English because of New York (ha!), well..I don't think you will receive such a warm welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City