Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 12:27 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
If you actually read the title it says "Most ghetto VISUALLY", meaning not a palm tree paradise with sandy beaches down the street but rather a cold, rainy, polluted, decrepit, and depressed city such as Detroit or Cleveland..

Man you need some serious attention if you think Oakland and Richmond california are palm tree paradises. Though they touch the bay, I don't think anyone is crazy enough to swin in that polluted section of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 01:02 PM

378 posts, read 1,288,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
I guess Jakarta is visually not bad at all. After all, there is a palm tree! Not to mention the sun is shining. Oooo, purdy!
How the **** is that place even standing

Old 12-28-2009, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 16,102 times
There is no visually worse or better ghetto, just as there are no visually better form of feces.

Last edited by كثيرة هي دعا ولك; 12-28-2009 at 03:05 PM..

Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
LOL @ TT1, ya since Jakarta and Mexico City are in the US. Wow some of you are seriously butthurt because VISUALLY in the US northern cities look worse. WOW. Grow up.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:59 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
I guess Jakarta is visually not bad at all. After all, there is a palm tree! Not to mention the sun is shining. Oooo, purdy!

Jakarta is a perfect example of a VISUALLY decrepit city in the United States..right? Or did I fail in geography? GTFO.. I could name 50 cities in tropical climates worse than Cleveland..but how does that apply to the discussion about US cities VISUAL appearance? It doesn't. Since when did I comment on crime relations to the northern US cities vs Southern US cities? Never. Heck, the most dangerous is in the SOUTH.. BIG WHOOOP! This is a VISUAL thread. I don't even know why I am responding because you have no grasp of logical thought or any kind of reasonable reading comprehension.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Climate has little to do with crime, it's socioeconomic factors..but that's for another day.

But I think you are failing to realize what people mean Jman. They are saying from what they've seen VISUALLY it doesn't look as BAD (not in terms of pure crime numbers) than cities without palm trees or in tropical climates. That's it. Nothing more. Done.
Lol no no no, I'm just poking fun at those who make statements like, "LA has no ghettos" which is often accompanied with talk about palm trees and nice weather. Not even primarily on this thread; I've just read hundreds of comments like that and I'm mocking them.

As far as the topic goes I thought my earlier posts made it clear I was already on the same page with the OP, since I said on like page 2 that (and reiterated again later) Detroit, Camden and Philly LOOK the most run down. I'll state it again though so there's no confusion: the ghettos of some of the East Coast and Midwest cities are visually more run down than those of the rest of the country.

I don't think the Western states ghettos generally look quite as run down, but at the same time I think its quite an overstatement to say that they don't look like "real" ghettos. Its still clear that they are the ghetto, although in certain cases I could even agree with that statement. Its just that the poster earlier had said "most," which I disagreed with.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Well what looks worse VISUALLY like the thread says some 70 year old tenemant building with rats and roaches everywhere, graffiti ALL over the wall people, taking dumps on the stairs because the plumbing doesnt work, smell of every drug you can think of in the air. OR a tiny 1 family home where its burining hot every day, and it floods when it rains.
Yeah no question, I fully agree.

Although much of what you described also applies to many of the older West Coast housing projects. Dunno if you saw pics I posted earlier, but Sunnydale in SF has all of those issues you've described and more, and it was built in the 1940s. But fortunately they have torn down many of the older projects out here in recent years, and generally speaking there's no comparison IMO; what you see in places like North Philly and Camden and Baltimore are visually worse, no doubt.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Jakarta is a perfect example of a VISUALLY decrepit city in the United States..right? Or did I fail in geography? GTFO.. I could name 50 cities in tropical climates worse than Cleveland..but how does that apply to the discussion about US cities VISUAL appearance? It doesn't. Since when did I comment on crime relations to the northern US cities vs Southern US cities? Never. Heck, the most dangerous is in the SOUTH.. BIG WHOOOP! This is a VISUAL thread. I don't even know why I am responding because you have no grasp of logical thought or any kind of reasonable reading comprehension.
Again, I don't think anyone's getting butthurt here, its just there are commonly a lot of ignorant comments made that claim if there is sunshine and palm trees then it is not the ghetto. It is off topic, but there were earlier statements like these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
A ghetto with palm trees just doesn't look all that serious to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
If you actually read the title it says "Most ghetto VISUALLY", meaning not a palm tree paradise with sandy beaches down the street but rather a cold, rainy, polluted, decrepit, and depressed city such as Detroit or Cleveland..
So assuming the others responding are of the same mindset, we are responding to the notion that palm trees negate the existence of a ghetto, no matter how run down the place may actually be. We're highlighting the naivete of making such an absolute claim. A few weeks back on another thread someone was saying no warm weather cities could be considered "tough" because they had palm trees. I believe we are all just reacting to this type of mindset, rather than trying to argue that warm weather US cities are necessarily the most run down in appearance.

Bottom line, if the most decrepit neighborhood in the US happened to have palm trees nearby then it is no less decrepit. And the notion that palm trees somehow negate this is absurd. Hence the extreme Third World conditions referenced in earlier posts. Hope this sheds some light on what you're reading here.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:46 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
Quote:
LOL @ TT1, ya since Jakarta and Mexico City are in the US. Wow some of you are seriously butthurt because VISUALLY in the US northern cities look worse. WOW. Grow up.
To say northern cities look worse is not true at ALL.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:02 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Again, have you seen the hoods in Cleveland or Youngstown? Please refrain from calling me out until you have. Cleveland, Youngstown, Detroit, Baltimore, New Orleans etc are about as bad as you will see VISUALLY.
What are you talking about? I was responding to Brickmama, not you. I AGREE with you about Cleve, YTown, Det, Balto, NOLA. Go back and read the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City