Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 03:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Wow, I just did a Google Maps of the eastern parts of Gary and it looks like a lower density version of Camden, NJ. I had no idea Gary was that bad!
I don't think it looks too bad, unless I'm looking in the wrong areas. A lot of the Google Streetview images I'm seeing look like this. Maybe an abandoned house or two on each block, but it doesn't look too bad. Camden looks worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
sorry but those Baltimore areas you posted do not look ghetto to me.
Streets lined entirely with abandoned homes don't look ghetto to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
What? Camden? R U Serious? Post the Streetview link...
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...tates&ie=UTF-8

There are actually a few nice blocks in that neighborhood (which is one of the few where Google Streetview actually went onto the side streets), like this one and this one.

Last edited by nei; 06-07-2012 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,207 times
Quote:
sorry but those Baltimore areas you posted do not look ghetto to me.

It is a poor area not ghetto .Big difference.

Some areas in South central LA are way nicer looking the buildings but being in area at wrong time ( gang shooting other gangs ) or looking at dude wrong you may get you robbed or shot.

That area did not look rough looking .

Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I don't think it looks too bad, unless I'm looking in the wrong areas. A lot of the Google Streetview images I'm seeing look like this. Maybe an abandoned house or two on each block, but it doesn't look too bad. Camden looks worse.

There are actually a few nice blocks in that neighborhood (which is one of the few where Google Streetview actually went onto the side streets), like https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=217+Elm+Street,+Camden,+New+Jersey,+U nited+States&ie=UTF-8]this[/url] one and this one.
Gary doesn't look that bad on Google maps. One would actually have to physically be there to see how it is.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:05 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
Only place in America that might be more ghetto then Chester is parts of North Philly.
Try parts of Southwest Philly (as in the "badlands" video above). North Philly is more well known because a lot of people from outside go through it for various reasons. Nobody goes to or through most of Southwest other than the residents.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

The link you just posted is of the west side of town by where MJ used to live (on Jackson Street) which is the more intact half of Gary. The east side of Gary is a lot worse both in terms of looks and crime.

This is the east side:

gary IN - Google Maps

gary IN - Google Maps

Trust me, there is very little in America that looks worse than East Gary. Like Mas23 said, it looks even worse in person.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:43 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Try parts of Southwest Philly (as in the "badlands" video above). North Philly is more well known because a lot of people from outside go through it for various reasons. Nobody goes to or through most of Southwest other than the residents.
Most of Southwest actually isn't that bad. Kingsessing is the only truly bad part of Southwest Philadelphia. North Philadelphia is by far the worst part of Philadelphia but not all of it is bad. Neighborhoods like Northern Liberties, Fairmount, Spring Garden, Poplar are awesome neighborhoods with rowhomes that can reach up to $800,000 while neighborhoods like Kensington, Olde Kensington, Spring Arts (West Poplar), Francisville, Brewerytown, Templetown (area around Temple U) all get better each year. The worst parts tend to be in the central area of North Philadelphia mainly North of Temple University like North Central, Hunting Park, and West of Temple University like Strawberry Mansion.

P.S. the Badlands aren't in Southwest Philadelphia... they are in North Philadelphia and include neighborhoods such as West Kensington, Fairhill, etc. It's the most blighted part of the city by far and it's part of the reason it is called the Badlands. Also, because there is a ton of open air drug trafficking in the area.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The link you just posted is of the west side of town by where MJ used to live (on Jackson Street) which is the more intact half of Gary. The east side of Gary is a lot worse both in terms of looks and crime.

This is the east side:

gary IN - Google Maps

gary IN - Google Maps

Trust me, there is very little in America that looks worse than East Gary. Like Mas23 said, it looks even worse in person.
That first one actually doesn't look too bad. The second one looks pretty bad. I still think Camden looks worse, though (and Chester, PA too). I guess they're just because it's denser, so there are more abandoned homes and things like that to make it look more blighted. (Plus, Gary seems to have more trees, which has more of a calming effect)

But like you said, looking at it in person is different.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:15 PM

711 posts, read 1,497,997 times
Quote:

This is the east side:

gary IN - Google Maps

gary IN - Google Maps

It does look bad, but not Camden or Chester bad...

Old 06-01-2012, 05:26 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
It does look bad, but not Camden or Chester bad...

I think what you're really saying is that it's not as urban as Camden or Chester, which it isn't. With the exception of a couple blocks, you're not going to find a line of bombed out rowhouses in East Gary or anywhere in Gary. What you will find though are entire blocks that have been burned out for 10+ years that nobody got around to repairing. You'll find some of the absolute worst projects in the country (take Ivanhoe for example) that make some of their notorious Chicago counterparts look nice. You'll find houses that nature has literally reclaimed... I have a distinct memory of passing by an oddly wide looking tree in Tarrytown when I realized that it was growing through the middle of an abandoned house that was entirely covered by plants.

Some of Camden may look like a bomb hit it but Gary is literally apocalyptic... you see next to no children there anymore and much of it is abandoned.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:35 AM

711 posts, read 1,497,997 times
Quote:
I think what you're really saying is that it's not as urban as Camden or Chester, which it isn't. With the exception of a couple blocks, you're not going to find a line of bombed out rowhouses in East Gary or anywhere in Gary. What you will find though are entire blocks that have been burned out for 10+ years that nobody got around to repairing. You'll find some of the absolute worst projects in the country (take Ivanhoe for example) that make some of their notorious Chicago counterparts look nice. You'll find houses that nature has literally reclaimed... I have a distinct memory of passing by an oddly wide looking tree in Tarrytown when I realized that it was growing through the middle of an abandoned house that was entirely covered by plants.

Some of Camden may look like a bomb hit it but Gary is literally apocalyptic... you see next to no children there anymore and much of it is abandoned.
But it's about the worst conditions that have the highest amount of people in them.

The ghetto's of the North East are the worst because roads are narrow and all the houses are connected together.

Im under the impression that is Americas biggest problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City