Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 07:42 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
My family's from Gary Indiana. Like most places, there's good and bad. The west side of Gary is intact for the most part with a couple exceptions (i.e. Tarrytown). The east side on the other hand almost literally looks post-apocalyptic and is indeed one of the worst areas I've ever seen in the US, especially around downtown. One of the few bright spots over there is the new US Steelyard stadium, which has attracted some new businesses like Dusties (Soul Food) and a couple others.

The Miller Beach area is also very nice and is a part of the city of Gary despite often being referred to separately. There's a couple good spots to eat over there like Flamingo Pizza and etc.

And honestly, there are worse places in Chicagoland than Gary... Harvey, IL immediately comes to mind. I'd take Miller Beach and parts of the west side over anywhere in Harvey any day. The real problem with Gary is the complete lack of jobs... most of the people living there work in Chicago. Even as the population declines, a lot of the people getting pushed out of Chicago are buying up the dirt cheap houses in Gary and making the hour + commute.
most of your points are correct but the expanse and the severity of the ghetto nullifies everything else! NOTHING CAN BE COMPARED TO GARY! NOTHING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
Wow, I just did a Google Maps of the eastern parts of Gary and it looks like a lower density version of Camden, NJ. I had no idea Gary was that bad!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,385,490 times
Gary was even part of the TV series that showed what would happen 10-20 100 years etc after humans leave/disappear from the earth. It showed if I remembered correctly, a vacated building of some 20 years and how now nature had taken over. Trees, grass etc was taking over. Nature finds a way to equalize. If left alone, Gary and other places will become like parts of the old world. RUINS!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:57 PM

711 posts, read 1,497,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Wow, I just did a Google Maps of the eastern parts of Gary and it looks like a lower density version of Camden, NJ. I had no idea Gary was that bad!
What? Camden? R U Serious? Post the Streetview link...

Old 05-28-2012, 12:09 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
most of your points are correct but the expanse and the severity of the ghetto nullifies everything else! NOTHING CAN BE COMPARED TO GARY! NOTHING!

I'm definitely not a Gary booster... like I said, what is bad in Gary is among the worst in the country. That being said, it does get painted somewhat unfairly with a broad brush. There are a couple positives to living there, albeit not very many.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 AM

545 posts, read 594,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica X19 View Post
hears a video

southeast san diego field trip - YouTube

of san diego's ghetto.

here's a pic

san diego is crappy outside of tourist areas.
Wow that looks like some areas of eastern SC without the palm trees!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 AM

459 posts, read 723,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Climate has little to do with crime, it's socioeconomic factors..but that's for another day.

But I think you are failing to realize what people mean Jman. They are saying from what they've seen VISUALLY it doesn't look as BAD (not in terms of pure crime numbers) than cities without palm trees or in tropical climates. That's it. Nothing more. Done.
I like how we're competing for who has the best (worst??) ghettos now!

Anyway, West Coast ghettos DO LOOK BETTER on average than East Coast ghettos for one good reason: not too long ago, places like Compton and Inglewood were middle-class areas with, if you can believe it, mostly non-minority populations! Thus, we have our single-family homes and our ever-so-ubiquitous palms left over from the Flight.

Then, we have the better weather and proximity to beaches so all of us can enjoy California.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:19 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Baltimore yet. In terms of urban decay, parts of the city are easily up there with Philly and Camden, if not more so. Personally, the worst-looking areas I've ever seen are parts of Baltimore and parts of Detroit

Here's some from Baltimore...

West:
600 n brice st baltimore md - Google Maps

1000 w saratoga st baltimore md - Google Maps

w lafayette & argyle baltimore md - Google Maps

East:
900 n castle st baltimore md - Google Maps

1748 n chapel st baltimore md - Google Maps

1750 crystal ave baltimore md - Google Maps

That does not ghetto to me . Look at the google street view the areas is poor area even the people dress poor and the way people dress before in the past.

I have not seen it being rough looking like drug dealing , drug addicts , gangs , people in oversized jersey shirts ,bandana and tattoos , big baggy long -shirts and pants.

sorry but those Baltimore areas you posted do not look ghetto to me.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,048,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalifornianWriter View Post
I like how we're competing for who has the best (worst??) ghettos now!

Anyway, West Coast ghettos DO LOOK BETTER on average than East Coast ghettos for one good reason: not too long ago, places like Compton and Inglewood were middle-class areas with, if you can believe it, mostly non-minority populations! Thus, we have our single-family homes and our ever-so-ubiquitous palms left over from the Flight.

Then, we have the better weather and proximity to beaches so all of us can enjoy California.
Find any area in the US built in the 30's and 40's so called war time homes they where very very very small homes.

South central LA has alot of these very small war time homes so does city of Phoenix in the older areas .

Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
That does not ghetto to me . Look at the google street view the areas is poor area even the people dress poor and the way people dress before in the past.

I have not seen it being rough looking like drug dealing , drug addicts , gangs , people in oversized jersey shirts ,bandana and tattoos , big baggy long -shirts and pants.

sorry but those Baltimore areas you posted do not look ghetto to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City