Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I just think people who don't know about Denver misrepresent what the climate is like. Why is everyone refusing to talk about the spring, summer, and fall time though?

Well if Denver is at all like Philly, Spring and Fall are to me the best weather months of the year. Summer can be HHH at times (maybe too much of the time). To me the Winters are maybe less offensivce in Philly than are the summers in actuality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 PM

630 posts, read 994,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Philadelphia's all-time record low is -11

Denver's...... -29

If you are going to change the topic to the extremes of cold in both cities climates, you may want to re-think your argument. Also, FYI, in order for temperatures to get that low, there has to be a lot less moisture in the air which is the reason why philadelphia and most of the east coast outside of extreme northern Maine doesn't get negative temps that often; at least not nearly as often as places in the mountain West. So your whole argument of "oh, that humid cold at negative so and so degrees is way worse than the dry cold at negative so and so degrees" is way off base. There is no such thing as a "humid" negative degrees Fahrenheit cold. Temperatures that low are cold no matter what climate you are in and can only exist when there is a lack of humidity in the first place.
The major difference is that Denver heats up so quickly to the 70's the next few days after it gets really cold. Philly tends to stay consistanly cold. Denver really goes up and down in temps in a matter of few days. Philadelphia, the cold gets you to the bone while in Denver, it doesn't.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:18 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
The major difference is that Denver heats up so quickly to the 70's the next few days after it gets really cold. Philly tends to stay consistanly cold. Denver really goes up and down in temps in a matter of few days. Philadelphia, the cold gets you to the bone while in Denver, it doesn't.

Right....and after that "heat up really quickly" (not to the 70s every time, that's an extreme exaggeration, more like the 40s or 50s) the roller coaster keeps on going with ups and downs, bitter cold followed by milder weather followed by bitter cold etc....lingering winter. The OP asked which city has less lingering winter. That is Philadelphia. It doesn't matter if there may be periods of warmer/milder weather between the large snowfalls and cold temps that occur in spring in Denver because they specifically said they did not want the wintery weather during that time of the year... period.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Right....and after that "heat up really quickly" (not to the 70s every time, that's an extreme exaggeration, more like the 40s or 50s) the roller coaster keeps on going with ups and downs, bitter cold followed by milder weather followed by bitter cold etc....lingering winter. The OP asked which city has less lingering winter. That is Philadelphia. It doesn't matter if there may be periods of warmer/milder weather between the large snowfalls and cold temps that occur in spring in Denver because they specifically said they did not want the wintery weather during that time of the year... period.
No, literally in the 70's if you look what happens in the past. Definitely in the 60's. It swings rather dramatically because of the Chinooke Califonia winds. It's trying to make up its mind whether it wants to be cold like Philly or warm like California.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:11 AM

592 posts, read 460,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
How does -20 degrees in Denver not bite as much as 40 degrees in Philadelphia? HAHAHAHA you make no sense. Same old trolling nonsense from you. It is never dangerous to stand outside in Philadelphia. Philadelphia rarely gets below 32 degrees and never goes into the negatives, not even at night. Denver has highs in the negatives, and only has 3 months of warm weather that are HOTTER THAN PHILADELPHIA.

How is that good weather? People crack me up. Philadelphia weather is much much much better than Denver.
I kind of understand what he's saying though. I mean, I was in Center City Philly right after Christmas when it was supposedly about 32 degrees, and after only about 10 or 15 minutes walking around outside, I felt like I was going to freeze to death! There is a certain sting in the air the closer you are to bodies of water, etc. I live well north of Philadelphia in upper Bucks and Philly feels easily just as cold as it does here, despite often being about 5-7 degrees warmer.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckG2008 View Post
I kind of understand what he's saying though. I mean, I was in Center City Philly right after Christmas when it was supposedly about 32 degrees, and after only about 10 or 15 minutes walking around outside, I felt like I was going to freeze to death! There is a certain sting in the air the closer you are to bodies of water, etc. I live well north of Philadelphia in upper Bucks and Philly feels easily just as cold as it does here, despite often being about 5-7 degrees warmer.
You see, Denver, it doesn't get you to the bone. Wait on until mid week next week, the high temps should only be around the low 20's or even lower due to the next Arctic blast. It happens when you get a trough on the East Coast and high pressure ridge on the West Coast. I've been saying this all along, and now you guys are going to witness this first hand.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Philly's high will be 23, I predict for middle of next week. It's frigid!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM

592 posts, read 460,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
You see, Denver, it doesn't get you to the bone. Wait on until mid week next week, the high temps should only be around the low 20's or even lower due to the next Arctic blast. It happens when you get a trough on the East Coast and high pressure ridge on the West Coast. I've been saying this all along, and now you guys are going to witness this first hand.
Oh yeah, it's most def gonna be brutal! I was in Philly again today, high 33, and people were bundled up with scarves over their faces, gloves, etc., and rightfully so because the stinging wind was that bad.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
50 and sunny today Like Denver there is some movements in the temperature. Sounds like fridgud eather later next week though

Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,072,086 times
50's and 60's in Denver for the next 5 days!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City