Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:54 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,182,270 times

Advertisements

Good and bad of each? I know these 2 cities are very different. I have heard the mountains are really gorgeous and I would like to know more about Colorado, especially compared to where I am now.

From what I have heard so far:

The good things about Denver is that is is a great outdoors down, with lots of hiking, camping, biking. Also it is more friendly and laid back, less crowded, and physically the area around the city is amazing.

The good things about Philly is that it is more historic and cultural, has great food, is a great sports town, has warmer weather, and is less conservative.

I believe Denver is less expensive than Philly but Boulder is worse.

I have never been to Colorado so I am not sure but that is my impression. What do you think?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:01 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
Philadelphia, I prefer major cities and what they offer and the location is perfect.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
The Philadelphia area is place you are born into and stay.

Colorado is a place where you move to and feel free. Other than the fact that its a bit isolated it possesses an outstandingly high quailty of life. The scenery and pleasant atmosphere is tough combination to beat.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Philadelphia, I prefer major cities and what they offer and the location is perfect.
Last time I checked, Denver IS considered a major city.

Denver is the better choice. Cleaner, more outdoorsy and a higher overall quality of life. Great airport too, with a wide variety of reasonably priced flight options.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:19 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Last time I checked, Denver IS considered a major city.
Denver is a great city and is technically considered a major city by some. However I consider a major city a metro area of over 5 million people.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,736 times
I'm big into trails and walking/biking, and Denver is WAY better than Philly on that. Also, one might not think it, but Denver weather is WAY better than Philly as well. As far as a crisp, clean type of city, Denver is much better. As far as city parks and reservoir parks and amphitheater parks and open space parks and neighborhood parks, I think Denver is better overall. Denver has far more suburban TND neighborhoods and has built a lot of suburban town centers, ie. has built a lot of walkability into its suburbs, with housing and shopping and trails and parks in close proximity. I think the neighborhoods surrounding Denver's downtown (ie. not in the suburbs) have a better "look" too.

The one thing I would give Philly the nod on is historical feel. But I personally wouldn't move to a place for its historical feel. I might VISIT a place for its historical feel, though.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:11 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,681 times
I will choose Denver. Philly is too old looking for my taste.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:43 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,830,632 times
I would also say Denver

Old 08-06-2009, 09:50 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Good and bad of each? I know these 2 cities are very different. I have heard the mountains are really gorgeous and I would like to know more about Colorado, especially compared to where I am now.

From what I have heard so far:

The good things about Denver is that is is a great outdoors down, with lots of hiking, camping, biking. Also it is more friendly and laid back, less crowded, and physically the area around the city is amazing.

The good things about Philly is that it is more historic and cultural, has great food, is a great sports town, has warmer weather, and is less conservative.

I believe Denver is less expensive than Philly but Boulder is worse.

I have never been to Colorado so I am not sure but that is my impression. What do you think?

Thank you!!
The area around the city of Denver is not amazing. Denver is surrounded on 3 sides (north, east, south) by a gigantic wasteland of open prairies and housing subdivisions. Only looking to the west towards the mountains does the scenery look appealing.

A lot of people who ordinarily don't do anything outdoorsy where they currently live, seem to think that will all change when they move to Denver. I'd say if you don't regularly make trips to the Appalachian Mountains now, then what makes you think you would go to the Rocky Mountains any more frequently? Unless your life revolves around exercising and extreme sports, I predict you won't be happy living there.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,736 times
For those who find themselves driving south of Denver into the open land, if you drive a little further until you reach Colorado Springs, I guarantee you the view will be more awesome than any view you can find in Philly. With majestic views to the south and majestic views to the west, and Boulder to the northwest, the plains on the outskirts of the eastern side of town become really not that big a deal. I saw those plains and I also saw Colorado Springs, the mountains to the west of Denver, and Boulder. The plains weren't that big a deal, weren't that big a drag. Actually they are more like a footnote.

Making that into a big deal is like saying Miami is a drag because it's got nothing but swamp on its west side. And the next time anybody talks about going to Vegas, better tell them Vegas is blah because there's nothing but desert around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City