Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:09 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,573,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I guarantee you the view will be more awesome than any view you can find in Philly.
That depends on what kind of view you are looking for, I prefer the view of an urban city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,972,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
That depends on what kind of view you are looking for,
That's true. Somebody who prefers historic and brick to mountain vistas and modern is probably going to like Philly better. I'm not particularly one to prefer to look at old buildings over majestic mountains.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:23 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,079,359 times
Quote:
For those who find themselves driving south of Denver into the open land, if you drive a little further until you reach Colorado Springs, I guarantee you the view will be more awesome than any view you can find in Philly. With majestic views to the south and majestic views to the west, and Boulder to the northwest, the plains on the outskirts of the eastern side of town become really not that big a deal. I saw those plains and I also saw Colorado Springs, the mountains to the west of Denver, and Boulder. The plains weren't that big a deal, weren't that big a drag. Actually they are more like a footnote.

Making that into a big deal is like saying Miami is a drag because it's got nothing but swamp on its west side. And the next time anybody talks about going to Vegas, better tell them Vegas is blah because there's nothing but desert around it.
Right, because Denver is just like Miami and Las Vegas. What a horrible comparison. Those "swamps" you're talking about west of Miami are actually the Everglades, which are home to one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet. Las Vegas may be in the Nevada desert, but at least they have Lake Las Vegas nearby. Denver has nothing even remotely comparable to that.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,183,469 times
Quote:
I'm big into trails and walking/biking, and Denver is WAY better than Philly on that. Also, one might not think it, but Denver weather is WAY better than Philly as well. As far as a crisp, clean type of city, Denver is much better. As far as city parks and reservoir parks and amphitheater parks and open space parks and neighborhood parks, I think Denver is better overall. Denver has far more suburban TND neighborhoods and has built a lot of suburban town centers, ie. has built a lot of walkability into its suburbs, with housing and shopping and trails and parks in close proximity. I think the neighborhoods surrounding Denver's downtown (ie. not in the suburbs) have a better "look" too.

The one thing I would give Philly the nod on is historical feel. But I personally wouldn't move to a place for its historical feel. I might VISIT a place for its historical feel, though.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I love an outdoors type of place. I didn't know the weather was good in Denver, i thought it was really cold.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:28 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,183,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
The area around the city of Denver is not amazing. Denver is surrounded on 3 sides (north, east, south) by a gigantic wasteland of open prairies and housing subdivisions. Only looking to the west towards the mountains does the scenery look appealing.

A lot of people who ordinarily don't do anything outdoorsy where they currently live, seem to think that will all change when they move to Denver. I'd say if you don't regularly make trips to the Appalachian Mountains now, then what makes you think you would go to the Rocky Mountains any more frequently? Unless your life revolves around exercising and extreme sports, I predict you won't be happy living there.
That's a good point.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,223,790 times
Quote:
I saw those plains and I also saw Colorado Springs, the mountains to the west of Denver, and Boulder. The plains weren't that big a deal, weren't that big a drag. Actually they are more like a footnote.
You cant simply discount 75% of the barren horizon as a footnote. You're getting major props for the western views of Denver as among the best in the usa. Be grateful for it and move on, dont make excuses that 3/4 of the pie isnt so great in regards to aesthetic beauty.

Regarding views, The best of Denver blows the headlights off of the Philly region. Overall alot of people might argue that the Philadlephia region is more aesthically gifted.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Right, because Denver is just like Miami and Las Vegas. What a horrible comparison. Those "swamps" you're talking about west of Miami are actually the Everglades, which are home to one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet. Las Vegas may be in the Nevada desert, but at least they have Lake Las Vegas nearby. Denver has nothing even remotely comparable to that.
LOL! Now the majestic Rocky Mountains somehow don't compare to the Everglades and to Lake Las Vegas! LOL

Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Thanks everyone for your answers. I love an outdoors type of place. I didn't know the weather was good in Denver, i thought it was really cold.
Years ago I did too. But when you actually look at the temperatures and humidity, you see that winter daytime feels really good and overnight is when it feels more cold. What anybody in just about any part of the country can do is to observe a day in their town when the humidity is lower, let's say 30% or something like that. (If you can find a 20% humidity day, good, but in many places they are extremely difficult to come by) Try to find a hot day like that and a cold day like that, and go outside and see how it feels in the sun and in the shade. Once I saw how 40 degrees, 30% humidity, and full sun felt (good as opposed to like an icebox), I came to understand that Denver's 47 degree average winter high, low humidity, and abundance of sun would make winter days there feel really good as opposed to really cold. I also observed a wet, cloudy, 40 degree day and was shivering and couldn't wait to get inside. That let me know in no uncertain terms what the difference between a 40 degree day in the northeast and a 40 degree day near the Rocky Mountains would be, and it's HUGE.

Then of course I came in hear and heard the residents talk about their winter weather, and it confirmed the conclusions of my "experiment."

Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,816,809 times
The foothills communities along Denver are far often overlooked by visitor's to the area.While I agree much of Denver proper can be rather blah with respect to topography,many of the foothills communities like Ken Caryl Valley, Genesee, Roxborough Park, (one of the most photographed areas in Colorado) Deer Creek Canyon,Evergreen offer diverse awe striking scenery not found in too many other metro areas . A 25-40 minute drive into some of these enclaves from Downtown Denver provide some amazing choice neighborhoods. Where else can you be so close to a metro perched up at over 9,000(Conifer) feet and have the option of looking down on the city lights from one room, and a spectacular view of the Continental divide from another. Work downtown/shop in Cherry Creek..and then head home to pristine wilderness areas with green aspen groves,wildflowers to hike,bike..ect And Boulder while not directly in the mountains is located within a fairly substantial watershed, lot's of small lakes,streams,irrigation,weather patterns keep it slightly greener than Denver itself. Boulder is one of the most active,fit,outdoor cities in the nation ,most people's bicycles here are worth more than a lot of cars(outdoor rec.. is much of the emphasis in Colorado. As far as weather: it can turn on a dime here,but it's milder than most outsiders are aware..prepare for the occasional deep freeze in mid winter,followed by wearing shorts in 65 degrees.

Last edited by Scott5280; 08-06-2009 at 02:13 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 02:56 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,858,151 times
All i know is that the shipping costs for an item to denver are about twice as much than any other US city! For that reason I choose Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City