Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:05 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,079,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
LOL! Now the majestic Rocky Mountains somehow don't compare to the Everglades and to Lake Las Vegas! LOL
Huh? I lost you. You were the one who brought up Miami and Las Vegas, comparing them to Denver. I was simply pointing out the fact that the "swamp" you said was west of Miami, is actually the Everglades and not just some swamp. Miami has crap on one side, Denver has crap on 3 sides. You also said Las Vegas is completely surrounded by desert, to which I replied at least they have Lake Las Vegas. I never made any mention of either being better than the Rocky Mountains, just that they were horrible cities to compare to Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:49 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,972,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Huh? I lost you. You were the one who brought up Miami and Las Vegas, comparing them to Denver.
Actually I wasn't comparing them to Denver as much as making a point that what is on one side of a city's outskirts not being glamorous or being boring while what is on the other side of a city's outskirts being VERY majestic and awe-inspiring makes it extremely nitpicky and laughable to downplay a city because of the one side of the outskirts that boring or not glamorous. Put another way, Denver having the mountains to the west, the flatirons to the northwest, and Pikes Peak and the Garden of the Gods going south makes Denver's boring plains on the east side, well, utterly irrelevant and a really nonsensical way to try to downplay how great a place Denver is. To make the claim that the area around Denver is not amazing just because Denver has plains to the east, when Denver ALSO has some of the majestic views in the nation to the west, northwest, and an hour's drive south, is utterly absurd.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Actually I wasn't comparing them to Denver as much as making a point that what is on one side of a city's outskirts not being glamorous or being boring while what is on the other side of a city's outskirts being VERY majestic and awe-inspiring makes it extremely nitpicky and laughable to downplay a city because of the one side of the outskirts that boring or not glamorous. Put another way, Denver having the mountains to the west, the flatirons to the northwest, and Pikes Peak and the Garden of the Gods going south makes Denver's boring plains on the east side, well, utterly irrelevant and a really nonsensical way to try to downplay how great a place Denver is. To make the claim that the area around Denver is not amazing just because Denver has plains to the east, when Denver ALSO has some of the majestic views in the nation to the west, northwest, and an hour's drive south, is utterly absurd.
You are so full of crap. You've only visited Denver a few times, while I actually lived there for 5 years. Drive north on 25, you'll pass through the cities of Thornton, Westminster, Broomfield, Longmont, Fort Collins, and all the way to Cheyenne, and guess what? No mountainous terrain! Just prairie and suburban subdivisions. Drive northeast on 76, you'll pass through Commerce City and Brighton. No mountains. Just subdivisions and heavy industry. Drive east on 70, nothing but city until you get out of Aurora, and then you're basically in Kansas after that. There's nothing but a flat agricultural wasteland. Drive south on 25, no mountains for a good 70 miles until you reach Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs. Just suburbs and outlet malls.

So in reality, there are decent mountain views to be had all over the metro area. In fact, cities like Brighton, despite being much further to the east, actually have better views of the Rockies than most of Denver. However, some cities like Aurora have virtually no mountain views at all.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
You are so full of crap. You've only visited Denver a few times, while I actually lived there for 5 years. Drive north on 25, you'll pass through the cities of Thornton, Westminster, Broomfield, Longmont, Fort Collins, and all the way to Cheyenne, and guess what? No mountainous terrain!
I can tell you missed Horsetooth Reservoir and Lory State Park and Horsetooth Mountain Park on the west side of Fort Collins. Not exactly plains-only in that direction. Is the existence of those scenic areas full of crap? Did I just make them up? Or did you totally overlook them in your tunnelvisioned focus on plains-only? Apparently in my Denver visits I've gleaned more than you have in your previous 5 years there. What other explanation is there for you acting as if there is nothing in Fort Collins except plains?

Bottom line, the assertion that the area around Denver is not amazing is FALSE. Acting as if all there is are plains around Denver is FALSE. And it didn't take me 5 years to figure that out, either.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I can tell you missed Horsetooth Reservoir and Lory State Park and Horsetooth Mountain Park on the west side of Fort Collins. Not exactly plains-only in that direction. Is the existence of those scenic areas full of crap? Did I just make them up? Or did you totally overlook them in your tunnelvisioned focus on plains-only? Apparently in my Denver visits I've gleaned more than you have in your previous 5 years there. What other explanation is there for you acting as if there is nothing in Fort Collins except plains?

Bottom line, the assertion that the area around Denver is not amazing is FALSE. Acting as if all there is are plains around Denver is FALSE. And it didn't take me 5 years to figure that out, either.
Fort Collins only has mountains TO THE WEST of the city! Just like Denver only has mountains TO THE WEST of the city! Otherwise, both cities are completely surrounded by plains to the north, east, and south. How can you possibly deny this? Nobody who actually lives in Denver is denying this, just you. You're just some guy who lives in South Carolina, but seems to think he's an expert on a city he's only visited a couple times.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:01 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,963 times
Denver is definitely a major city and not small in my book. If we are comparing city propers, then Denver stands well because it is cleaner and not as crime ridden as Philly. But there's a lot of great things about Philly too...it is much larger and more bustling. If we were comparing metro vs metro...Philly, no question.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:53 AM

795 posts, read 2,411,544 times
Quote:
Fort Collins only has mountains TO THE WEST of the city! Just like Denver only has mountains TO THE WEST of the city! Otherwise, both cities are completely surrounded by plains to the north, east, and south. How can you possibly deny this? Nobody who actually lives in Denver is denying this, just you. You're just some guy who lives in South Carolina, but seems to think he's an expert on a city he's only visited a couple times.

When you come across like this jjclark its hard to take you seriously. You make it sound like Denver is surrounded by desert or something.

You claimed you lived in Denver for four years and now its five. Given your countless misconceptions and known ability to exaggerate I am willing to conclude you weren't living in Denver for long. Manta ray's description is quite accurate whether he lives in Denver or not.

On another note I really liked the architecture in Philly. However, I was young when I visited and was limited to explore the city more. I would definitely like to go back and see some more.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Fort Collins only has mountains TO THE WEST of the city! Just like Denver only has mountains TO THE WEST of the city!
Yes, which is relevant in a discussion of what is AROUND a city, what you see when you go to the city's OUTSKIRTS. Those mountains are not plains, and those mountains ARE on the city's' outskirts. You said the area around Denver is not amazing. Well guess what- those mountains TO THE WEST of the city is part OF the area around the city, and they ARE amazing.

Interesting. Make a comment about what the area around a city looks like and then object to discussion of what is around the city to the west. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City