Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a worse winter?
Minneapolis 283 82.51%
Seattle 60 17.49%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:12 PM

162 posts, read 155,523 times

Advertisements

I have lived in both Seattle and Minneapolis more than anywhere else. I'm curious which has a worse winter in the eyes of others. Both are great, comparable cities that have the probably have the most notoriously worst winters for major US metropolitan areas.
Minneapolis winters: snow 6 months of the year lots of times, deathly cold, frequent subzero temperatures, but a decent amount of sunshine.
Seattle winters: Chilly, almost always overcast, usually drizzling, 6+ months of the year.
Which notorious winter do you think is worse?

I'd love to hear from people who have lived in these cities as well as the opinions of others from elsewhere!
Feel free to speak your mind as well about why you choose one or the other.

Last edited by FloatOn; 12-08-2014 at 12:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 01:04 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
The weather here in Seattle has been swell over the past few weeks. People really over-exaggerate how bad the weather is in Seattle because it's very temperate. When it does "rain", it's a very light drizzle; hardly "rain" in the main sense of the word. And honestly, this Fall/Winter has been pretty dry for us here.

Compare comfortable and cool weather in Seattle (this week will be in the mid 50's) to Minneapolis (this week will be in the mid 30's), and you'll see a good 20 degree difference that obviously highlights how temperate Seattle is in comparison.

Both are great cities, but Seattle's weather is so over-exaggerated that it's borderline ignorant to say that we have "bad" weather.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:11 AM

1,486 posts, read 292,658 times
I prefer Seattle's cause it's mostly just drizzle, not heavy freezing snow.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:05 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The weather here in Seattle has been swell over the past few weeks. People really over-exaggerate how bad the weather is in Seattle because it's very temperate. When it does "rain", it's a very light drizzle; hardly "rain" in the main sense of the word. And honestly, this Fall/Winter has been pretty dry for us here.

Compare comfortable and cool weather in Seattle (this week will be in the mid 50's) to Minneapolis (this week will be in the mid 30's), and you'll see a good 20 degree difference that obviously highlights how temperate Seattle is in comparison.

Both are great cities, but Seattle's weather is so over-exaggerated that it's borderline ignorant to say that we have "bad" weather.
Depends what you consider "bad" I guess. Some people hate snow with a passion, others love it. Right now I def miss the colder temps with snow but sunny, constant gray and rain can really start to take its toll on you.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:50 AM

591 posts, read 821,397 times
Do you consider 55 degrees and mostly cloudy a "harsh winter"?
That is the current weather in Seattle.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:26 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,445,874 times
Do we really need another conversation on this website about how "awful" Minneapolis and Seattle winters are?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:09 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Do we really need another conversation on this website about how "awful" Minneapolis and Seattle winters are?
Yes, dag nabbit! Some people like to feel better about where they live so they research negatives about other places on extreme ends of a particular spectrum and reinforce their confidence and city self esteem. E.g:

Which is worse: NYC density or cow pastures in Iowa?
Which is worse: Houston or Phoenix heat?
Which is worse: pancake flatness of Chicago or hilly SF?
Which is worse: traffic in Austin or crime in Gary, IN?

A lot of times the questions are loaded to steer discussion towards negative aspects of a given city/place. I don't think that's necessarily true in this case, but I see it a lot.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:13 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,650 times
How is this a serious question?

Seattle - moderate tempature, no extremes
Minneapolis - extreme cold, below zero temps, lots of snow

Next question, what is more dangerous? The atomic bomb, or a plastic spoon.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:19 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
How is this a serious question?

Seattle - moderate tempature, no extremes
Minneapolis - extreme cold, below zero temps, lots of snow

Next question, what is more dangerous? The atomic bomb, or a plastic spoon.
The debate would be whether cold/mild, wet rain in endless cloud cover is more appealing than cold and snowy sunshine. I think it's certainly debatable, and you may too if you are used to lots and lots of sunshine (in UT you probably are). Coldness isn't 100% correlated with misery, despite the notion that it is. For instance, once you have sunshine and elements to enjoy the outdoors like snow and ice, the cold is markedly preferred over dreary wet mildness.....to me, at least. We get both here in NE Ohio (cold/mild, snowy/drizzly and dreary).

My favorite altruism here on C-D is that Seattle has ideal weather.....yet you'll NEVER hear that about Minneapolis! I think Minneapolis accepts their image better than Seattle does.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:29 PM

591 posts, read 821,397 times
Minneapolis has finally done it!
It has beaten Seattle in a poll!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City