Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 PM

332 posts, read 524,783 times

Advertisements

Regarding the whole landlocked thing, here's a handful of pics I took of the lakefront one day last summer. It's weird psychologically knowing it's "just" a lake, even though the eye says it's an ocean.
Attached Thumbnails
Chicago vs. Boston ?-sany0190.jpg   Chicago vs. Boston ?-sany0208.jpg   Chicago vs. Boston ?-sany0212.jpg   Chicago vs. Boston ?-sany0223.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 12:24 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Posts here have been excellent so i can do little more than echo them.

In some ways, Chicago is far less "landlocked" than coastal cities. There is nothing in the world that is truly comparable to Chicago and its relationship with water.

Chicago is the rarest of the rarest: a city on open water that is neither ocean or sea. As such, its heart and soul can be right along the lakefront which is an intregal part of the city. Ocean front cities need their cores protected. Manhattan is shelted by New York Harbor with its main waterfronts being two rivers. San Francisco's downtown is bayside, opposite of the ocean to the west. Boston faces out to bay waters with islands and peninsulas, not the open Atlantic.

Again, Chicago is unique in its special relationship with open water. It is the only major city in the US with this special waterfront zone although Milwaukee on a minor scale also offers some of the same. The other Great Lakes cities...Cleveland and Buffalo....have not made their lakefronts such special places.

Fully agree on Chicago summers. I can't imagine anyone staying away from here because of summer heat when compared with much of the country. Lake Michigan is an A/C of sorts on many days, lowering the lakefront temp's. But as other posters have noted, prolonged heat waves are rare. And much of the time, summer weather is great and comfortable. Last summer, there were hardly any days in the 90s.

Interesting discussion here. IMHO there the four most vibrant cities in a truly traditional urban sense in the US are New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Boston; certainly they all have wonderful downtown cores. I'd also have to add in a non-traditional sense, LA belongs in the list; it is different but not "less than" the others. And DC, as well, different in the pervassive role of it being the capital.

To me, those 4 + 2 cities are incredibly special. I'd put Philadelphia and Seattle on the "honorable mention" list.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 AM

461 posts, read 796,561 times
I think it's obvious people from Chicago prefer Chicago and people from Boston, well, you get the idea. I'm from Chicago, and right now I live about an hour from Boston. To me, there is no comparison. Chicago is wonderful.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
I think it's obvious people from Chicago prefer Chicago and people from Boston, well, you get the idea. I'm from Chicago, and right now I live about an hour from Boston. To me, there is no comparison. Chicago is wonderful.
True. But so many Chicagoans in the know realize what an incredibly great city Boston is. That special place may be America's most "civilized" city. What cities like San Francisco, New Orleans, and Boston contribute to uniqueness among fellow American cities is extraordinary.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM

38 posts, read 128,122 times
My hometown is Seattle, I lived in Boston before I moved to Chicago. I definitely prefer Chicago. I find the city much easier to navigate, the costs significantly lower, and people tend to be friendlier from my experience. The only time I feel landlocked in Chicago is when I want some fresh seafood, but thankfully I travel to Seattle enough to take care of that. Chicago is a great city for young people as many come here after they graduate from college. I think you'll find more of the young professional crowd here, and less of the college student crowd that Boston has.

I agree with most of everything that has been said on the subject. They are both great American cities with their own unique attributes. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be happy but count my vote for Chicago.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:00 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
ah yes, the seafood... miss good, fresh seafood

one thing I forgot to mention is that, if you're looking to live near the water, Chicago wins hands down. it is amazing the wide range of lakefront properties you can find, from uber expensive Gold Coast to rather cheap Roger's Park. nothing in Boston really compares, other than parts of Dorchester or towns outside of Boston like Lynn (which has some newer, nice condos, but kind of hard to get that rhyme out of your head and truly consider it)

Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Unless you have some specific reason for being in Boston, and you want the BIG city feel, I'd go with Chicago... Now if you have connections to Boston schools or hospitals or have family there...

They both kind of suck for winter. If you are coming from SF and not just the bay area you'll notice that you are in a bigger city. If you are just coming from a suburb somewhere and not used to "city living" then either will seem big to you.

Why not compromise and go with New York? :P

Old 01-08-2010, 07:50 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
For the OP who is from NH, you should go to Chicago. It would be something new and it is a cool city.
For the "ocean vs lake" crowd here. Most cites formed around harbors out of necessity. Ships travelled 4 to 6 weeks across the ocean and the first thing they looked for was a calm harbor in which to anchor.
But my preference is the ocean, there is no comparison imo. When you look across the water from Chicago you can imagine what's on the other side and that is...Michigan.
In Boston when you do the same you can imagine...The Deer Isle Sewage Treatment Plant, but then beyond that is...The gay colony of Provincetown, but then Beyond THAT is...Spain.
Well I still prefer the ocean.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:42 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
ah yes, the seafood... miss good, fresh seafood

one thing I forgot to mention is that, if you're looking to live near the water, Chicago wins hands down.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold the phone Mabel.

If you're talking about in-city, I can probably give the edge to Chicago...though there are some beautiful waterfront properties in the North End like the beautiful Battery Wharf...

There are also some great new projects in Charlestown and East Boston. Still, I think in-city Chicago probably does better.

However, if you're include areas outside the city, Boston absolutely owns the argument. The rocky, cliff-filled Massachusetts coast is among the most beautiful shorelines in the country. Chicago has many advantages over Boston, but this isn't one.

To the OP, you'll love Chicago if you visit/live there. You're luckily faced with what few people ever get: a win-win situation. Chicago is one of the few cities in the United States where if tomorrow my boss came up to me and said "you're being transferred to Chicago", I'd reply positively.

It definitely feels like a bigger city than Boston due to the ridiculous amount of skyscrapers, its architecture is top-notch, and it has many great neighborhoods.

However, I do feel Boston has more unique neighborhoods than Chicago. You're not going to find anything like the North End, Beacon Hill, Charlestown, or Southie in Chi-Town. Chicago is an amazing city though. If you visit and like it, I'd definitely take the plunge.

P.S. There have been great posts so far this thread...I'm glad we've been able to avoid the usual "Chicago sucks!" and "I'll burn Boston to cinders!" posts.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:46 AM

378 posts, read 1,288,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

However, I do feel Boston has more unique neighborhoods than Chicago. You're not going to find anything like the North End, Beacon Hill, Charlestown, or Southie in Chi-Town. Chicago is an amazing city though. If you visit and like it, I'd definitely take the plunge.

P.S. There have been great posts so far this thread...I'm glad we've been able to avoid the usual "Chicago sucks!" and "I'll burn Boston to cinders!" posts.
Just wondering what types of neighborhoods those are you mentioned, and why you won't find similar ones in Chicago. Thanks.

Oh, and that picture was amazing. Definitely nothing like that in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City