Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city based on my criteria?
Asheville,NC 0 0%
Charlotte, NC 2 9.52%
Raleigh, NC 0 0%
Durham, NC 0 0%
Charleston, SC 4 19.05%
Greenville, SC 0 0%
Myrtle Beach, SC 0 0%
Columbia, SC 0 0%
Medford, OR 0 0%
Ashland, OR 0 0%
Klamath, OR 0 0%
Salem, OR 0 0%
Portland, OR 0 0%
Bend, OR 1 4.76%
Eugene, OR 0 0%
Atlanta, GA 0 0%
Canton, GA 0 0%
Augusta, GA 0 0%
Macon, GA 1 4.76%
Columbus, GA 1 4.76%
Peachtree City, GA 0 0%
Savannah, GA 0 0%
El Paso, TX 0 0%
Austin, TX 4 19.05%
San Antonio, TX 1 4.76%
Dallas, TX 1 4.76%
Ft. Worth, TX 0 0%
Albuquerque, NM 3 14.29%
Santa FE, NM 0 0%
Los Alamos, NM 0 0%
Rio Rancho, NM 0 0%
Other (Please comment which) 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:14 PM

129 posts, read 231,073 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm originally from San Diego and I recently moved to the Netherlands with my husband. My husband has a good IT job here in the Netherlands, but we are looking for a fresh state in another place that is affordable. Were looking to move back to the U.S. and I have been looking at several states since California is not really affordable. I have been looking at New Mexico, North/South Carolina, Oregon, and maybe Texas. I am keeping a open mind about Texas since I heard not every city has a lot of humidity and Oregon since I heard not every city is as rainy or gloomy. We would love a city with mild winter and summers. I would prefer no snow, but a little is alright. Being from San Diego, I am use to dry heat and don't tolerate humidity well. Although I do think Arizona and Nevada are way to hot and have unbearable summers even though they are a dry heat climate, so I rather stay away from those places. I really dislike humidity like in Texas and Florida, so I would prefer a place with little to bearable humidity. The reason I don't like a lot of humidity is because in the summer it makes the heat unbearable and in the winter, the humidity goes into your bones and it becomes very painful.

I have been struggling with the high humidity in the Netherlands and have been having a especially difficult winter because of it. I would also like there not to be too much rain and a lot of sun if possible. I really get depressed when the sky's are gray and gloomy, so I would love to live somewhere sunny and light. I also want to avoid a place with natural disasters and be in a safe city. I don't like huge cities like L.A., but I do really like medium sized cities. Being only 22 years old, I really would get bored in a small town. I would love to be somewhere where there is a lot of entertainment and always something fun to do, but I'm not much of a nightlife person so that doesn't matter. I would also love to move somewhere that is not over crowded, not to congested with traffic. Not required, but I also really like the beach, being close to a airport, and being outside. Good employment rates and being in a walkable city are also a huge plus.

I would like to live somewhere not to hot, not too cold, and not high humidly. My ideal temperature would be no colder than 50-60 degrees and not warmer than 85-90 degrees. Of course I know it's impossible to get a city that meets all my criteria, but I would love to find a place that comes close and has a lot of them. So please let me know your opinions of the cities I picked and tell me if you have a better suggestion that would fit my criteria more.

Also sorry for the incredibly long poll and post. There is just so many options to consider and I really don't know everything about every city, so I would love all the help I can get.

Last edited by tigerbolt; 12-29-2014 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I hate to tell you this, but none of those cities match your criteria. It really is best if you probably just go back to SoCal and live in a smaller place or cheaper area. Somewhere you might consider is the Inland Empire (Riverside, San Bernardino, Redlands). It's cheaper than most of SoCal (though getting more expensive), relatively close to LA and the beaches, near the mountains. The weather isn't as mild as the coast (cooler winters, hotter summers), but it's more tolerable than Phoenix.

The issues with the IE are mainly that there isn't much to do, unless you enjoy hiking in the mountains. There's a high crime rate, bad economy, and a lot of smog (most of this is in San Bernardino).

I still think you might be better off sucking up the humidity and moving to New Orleans. It really isn't as unpleasant (weather-wise) as people make it out to be, and its relatively affordable.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:03 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
How did you come up with that list of potential cities? Seens like most of them wouldnt work. I think you need to make a list of must haves and things you can compromise on.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I hate to tell you this, but none of those cities match your criteria. It really is best if you probably just go back to SoCal and live in a smaller place or cheaper area. Somewhere you might consider is the Inland Empire (Riverside, San Bernardino, Redlands). It's cheaper than most of SoCal (though getting more expensive), relatively close to LA and the beaches, near the mountains. The weather isn't as mild as the coast (cooler winters, hotter summers), but it's more tolerable than Phoenix.

The issues with the IE are mainly that there isn't much to do, unless you enjoy hiking in the mountains. There's a high crime rate, bad economy, and a lot of smog (most of this is in San Bernardino).

I still think you might be better off sucking up the humidity and moving to New Orleans. It really isn't as unpleasant (weather-wise) as people make it out to be, and its relatively affordable.
I know the cities I listed don't fit my criteria 100%, but I do think some are a little close. The problem with getting a cheaper place in California like Riverside, San Bernardino, Redlands is that they are still very expensive for what you get and they are not very good neighborhoods. Also another problem is that it's difficult to live in California unless you have a job lined up before. It is very difficult to get a job anyways, but to especially get one that has enough income to support all your bills. I would prefer to go to a city that is more affordable and you get more. But I really do love California I will say. But I do think Arizona really is to hot for me in the summer.

I have changed my criteria quiet a bit. I really don't like humidity, but I am open to living in a city with not too much humidity like Texas or Florida. I do live in the Netherlands which is a country that has a extremely high amount of humidity and I absolutely hate it. Especially in the winter when it goes into your bones and causes a lot of pain. It really isn't pleasant either in the summer as you know. I think NM does fit into a lot of my criteria although I don't know everything about it, but I also like North/South Carolina fromI've what I've heard. I heard that Georgia has a lot of humidity, but not every city has a lot of it. I also really like Oregon. I've heard some cities in Oregon have more sun and are not as rainy.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:07 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
The cities in Oregon (and Washington, for that matter) that have more sun are in the eastern parts of the state, and so they are drier, less populated, and have more redneck-type people. Not sure if that's your scene.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
How did you come up with that list of potential cities? Seens like most of them wouldnt work. I think you need to make a list of must haves and things you can compromise on.
I honestly came up with those potential cities by checking out different states/cities and seeing what we liked. I know these cities don't match my criteria 100%, but I do think a lot of them have a lot of the things I'm looking for like mild winters/summers. But of course I don't know everything about them which is why I would love for people to give me advice and tell me a better city that matched my criteria better.

Why do you think most of the cities don't match my criteria? I'm just curious. NM does fit into a lot of my criteria, but I also really like North/South Carolina from what I've heard. I heard that Georgia has a lot of humidity, but not every city has a lot of it.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:14 PM

412 posts, read 545,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbolt View Post
I honestly came up with those potential cities by checking out different states/cities and seeing what we liked. I know these cities don't match my criteria 100%, but I do think a lot of them have a lot of the things I'm looking for like mild winters/summers. But of course I don't know everything about them which is why I would love for people to give me advice and tell me a better city that matched my criteria better.

Why do you think most of the cities don't match my criteria? I'm just curious. NM does fit into a lot of my criteria, but I also really like North/South Carolina from what I've heard. I heard that Georgia has a lot of humidity, but not every city has a lot of it.
Most of the South is going to be humid. Only West Texas(El Paso) and NM cities would be dry.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
The cities in Oregon (and Washington, for that matter) that have more sun are in the eastern parts of the state, and so they are drier, less populated, and have more redneck-type people. Not sure if that's your scene.
I was hoping that the cities in Oregon that are drier and have less humidity would be more populated. I heard that a lot of people are immigrating to Oregon from different states, so I was hoping there would be more diversity and didn't think there would be as much redneck type people. Not that I have a problem with redneck people, it's just not who I am. I wonder why more people are drawn to the drier and sunnier part of Oregon. It sounds nice since Oregon is such a beautiful state. What about North/South Carolina? Do you know if they are humid like Texas/Florida or are they not as much.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:16 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Honestly look into Boise and Salt Lake City. Both very affordable and growing cities! Take a look at Denver aswell, tempertures do get cold but can be warm!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
Most of the South is going to be humid. Only West Texas(El Paso) and NM cities would be dry.
I'm alright with some humidity, but just not a unbearable amount. I was looking at El Paso and NM a lot since they seemed really nice. I am worried though since I heard most people speak Spanish in those cities due to a lot of immigrants and it is required to know Spanish in order to get a job there. So that's something that was making me unsure of things. Do you know if that's true? Also are there any other areas in Texas that are drier and not humid or is it just El Paso? San Antonio and Ft. Worth also look really nice, but I'm not sure about their humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City