Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Principal West Coast City Is:
Los Angeles 168 79.25%
San Francisco 31 14.62%
Seattle 13 6.13%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:40 AM

981 posts, read 806,320 times

Advertisements

What do you consider the principal city on the West Coast of the US, taking into account influence, size, diversity, economy, history, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:41 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,228 times
Los Angeles, though I can see why some people would say San Francisco.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:43 AM

981 posts, read 806,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Los Angeles, though I can see why some people would say San Francisco.
Remember to vote!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Los Angeles, although I see San Francisco are more of a business center than Los Angeles.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
I vote for LA.

Los Angeles is the largest city and most influential.

San Francisco is incredibly iconic and well known around the world. We could demonstrate ways in which SF is actually more influential, but overall, LA wins.

Seattle is the dominant city of the Pacific Northwest and its corporations are household names all over the world.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Historically, SF was the king of the West Coast, but LA currently holds that position.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:09 AM

672 posts, read 1,789,715 times
The Bay Area and Los Angeles are almost tied for me. They are the tops in certain industries for different things, both equally important in global reach and scope. Talking about hi tech and media. Equally diverse, staggeringly beautiful, and ridiculously rich, I have a hard time choosing. It doesn't really matter too, because they're both in the same state, cross pollinate in every which way, and both of their amazing outputs goes to the same bottom line. They are both quintessential California!

I'll choose SF, because it's my home base and is a bit more my flavor. But I'll defend Los Angeles to the death if I have to.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,923,245 times
San Francisco historically, but I think Los Angeles is more dominant now if for no other reason than it's size. I mean the Los Angeles CSA has more people than the Bay area CSA + Seattle CSA + San Diego MSA + Portland MSA combined. It's difficult to argue with numbers like that.

But I do think L.A. and SF are both tier 1 for the west coast, Seattle is tier 2.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:25 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
LA. Ports, transportation, culture, entertainment, business

Old 01-09-2010, 11:33 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
The Bay Area and Los Angeles are almost tied for me. They are the tops in certain industries for different things, both equally important in global reach and scope. Talking about hi tech and media. Equally diverse, staggeringly beautiful, and ridiculously rich, I have a hard time choosing. It doesn't really matter too, because they're both in the same state, cross pollinate in every which way, and both of their amazing outputs goes to the same bottom line. They are both quintessential California!

I'll choose SF, because it's my home base and is a bit more my flavor. But I'll defend Los Angeles to the death if I have to.
Personally I agree, but if I were to think what most people think LA would probably be first.

At the same time, you mention Media and Tech and its interesting how Tech becomes more and more influential in Media.

A few years ago, the Bay Area was not on the Telecommunications map and today the iPhone and its apps, as well as that new google phone, have propelled the region to the forefront of that industry.

Its like everything that has to do with anything remotely involved with technology, the Bay will find a way to become a huge player if not the dominant player in that specific innovation.

The Bay Area has become a new nexus of commerce, entertainment, telecommunications, media and a myriad of other industries that we werent historically strong in. All due to innovations that have made our products and services integral parts of people's lives.

This is a role that would be more befitting of the largest Metro of a region or even country, but no, its here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City