Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:16 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times

Advertisements

A few observations:

1. Since we're dealing with raw numbers, states with larger populations tend to dominate either way. It's the same with counties. An area that has one very large county (Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles) seems to dominate over an area that is broken up into more smaller counties (New York, Atlanta.)

2. As expected, there is a significant bias towards migrating to nearby states or counties.

3. Also as expected, places with good economies tend to get more inflow, where places with poor economies get more outflow.

I know that these are all self-explanatory, but it's interested to see them reflected in the data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I suspected most of the people migrating to the area were from New York and Florida, but I was pretty surprised to see LA County so high. I knew there were a lot of Cali transplants here, but didn't suspect they'd be #2 for inflow into Fulton County or #4 for DeKalb.

Wow, a lot of people moving from Atlanta to Charlotte, huh?
It is a little surprising that so many Californians are moving to Atlanta considering the distance, but there are actually a lot people moving in from a wide variety of places. The one that really surprised me was the top Inflow to Dekalb County was Foreign-Overseas.

There are a lot of people moving between Atlanta and Charlotte...594 In versus 578 Out. Mecklenburg County NC just wasn't one of the top Inflow counties (9th), but there were still more In than Out.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:24 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
No, there are people moving from Hudson to Queens, but it didn't make the top 5. I can't recall exactly where, but Queens and Kings were both in the top 10 inflows and outflows.

What I thought was really interesting was how the out-of-region flows go both ways. The top 5 out-of-region inflow counties were the same 5 counties as the top 5 outflows. But the numbers of people moving in both directions were really miniscule.
Of course. Just not top 5. My stupidity ! It made no sense that no one was going there or to Brooklyn. Still, you're right it's weird that the same four counties in the top five are really just exchanging the same number of people.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:37 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It is a little surprising that so many Californians are moving to Atlanta considering the distance, but there are actually a lot people moving in from a wide variety of places. The one that really surprised me was the top Inflow to Dekalb County was Foreign-Overseas.

There are a lot of people moving between Atlanta and Charlotte...594 In versus 578 Out. Mecklenburg County NC just wasn't one of the top Inflow counties (9th), but there were still more In than Out.

That one didn't surprise me quite as much as I thought it would. However, #1 is pretty amazing though.

Gwinnett County, GA

Inflow (In-State)

1) DeKalb County
2) Fulton County
3) Cobb County
4) Hall County
5) Barrow County

To be honest, I'm surprised at Cobb County being #3. I don't know why, I just am.

Inflow (Out-of-State)

1) Broward County, FL (Ft. Lauderdale)
2) Miami-Dade County, FL
3) Queens County, NY (NYC)
4) Los Angeles County, CA
5) Kings County, NY (Brooklyn, NYC)

Wow, LA is in the top 5 again in a Metro Atlanta County.

Outflow (In-State)

1) DeKalb County
2) Fulton County
3) Barrow County
4) Hall County
5) Cobb County

Outflow (Out-of-State)

1) Los Angeles County, CA
2) Miami Dade County, FL
3) Harris County, TX (Houston)
4) Broward County, FL (Ft. Lauderdale)
5) Cook County, IL (Chicago)

Cobb County, GA

Inflow (In-State)

1) Fulton County
2) DeKalb County
3) Cherokee County
4) Paulding County
5) Gwinnett County

Inflow (Out-of-State)

1) Foreign (Overseas)
2) Broward County, FL
3) Miami-Dade County, FL
5) Cook County, IL

Outflow (In-State)

1) Fulton County
2) Cherokee County
3) Paulding County
4) DeKalb County
5) Douglas County

Outflow (Out of State)

1) Harris County, TX (Houston)
2) Cook County, IL
3) Los Angeles County, CA
4) Mecklenburg County, NC (Charlotte)
5) Orange County, FL (Orlando)

Clayton County, GA

Inflow (In-State)

1) Fulton
2) DeKalb
3) Henry
4) Cobb
5) Gwinnett

Inflow (Out-of-State)

1) Miami-Dade County, FL
2) Broward County, Fl
3) Kings County, NY (Brooklyn)
4) Cook County, IL
5) Queens County, NY

Outflow (In-State)

1) Fulton
2) Henry
3) DeKalb
4) Cobb
5) Fayette

I really expected Henry to be #1 and Fayette to be #2. Interesting

Outflow (Out-of-State)

1) Cook County, IL
2) Orleans Parish, LA (New Orleans)
3) Kings County, NY
4) Miami-Dade County, FL
5) Harris County, TX

Now Cobb having Foreign migration as #1 surprises me quite a bit. I always thought that DeKalb and Gwinnett were the main destinations for the foreign born population here in Metro Atlanta.

I'm also surprised to see Harris County pop up three times on here from our "super-suburb" counties. I know that Texas has had the lead in population growth, and with Atlanta's economy not doing so well, Texas is being seen as the "Land of opportunity" right now.

Were there a lot of Katrina evacuees in Clayton County in particular?

I see why Publix is so popular up here in Atlanta. Besides being an awesome grocery store, it's all the Florida transplants. A lot of people do not realize the Georgia-Florida relationship and migration patterns. I know I didn't until I moved here.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
That one didn't surprise me quite as much as I thought it would. However, #1 is pretty amazing though.

Gwinnett County, GA

Inflow (In-State)

1) DeKalb County
2) Fulton County
3) Cobb County
4) Hall County
5) Barrow County

To be honest, I'm surprised at Cobb County being #3. I don't know why, I just am.

Inflow (Out-of-State)

1) Broward County, FL (Ft. Lauderdale)
2) Miami-Dade County, FL
3) Queens County, NY (NYC)
5) Kings County, NY (Brooklyn, NYC)

Wow, LA is in the top 5 again in a Metro Atlanta County.

Outflow (In-State)

1) DeKalb County
2) Fulton County
3) Barrow County
4) Hall County
5) Cobb County

Outflow (Out-of-State)

1) Los Angeles County, CA
2) Miami Dade County, FL
3) Harris County, TX (Houston)
4) Broward County, FL (Ft. Lauderdale)
5) Cook County, IL (Chicago)

Cobb County, GA

Inflow (In-State)

1) Fulton County
2) DeKalb County
3) Cherokee County
4) Paulding County
5) Gwinnett County

Inflow (Out-of-State)

1) Foreign (Overseas)
2) Broward County, FL
3) Miami-Dade County, FL
5) Cook County, IL

Outflow (In-State)

1) Fulton County
2) Cherokee County
3) Paulding County
4) DeKalb County
5) Douglas County

Outflow (Out of State)

1) Harris County, TX (Houston)
2) Cook County, IL
3) Los Angeles County, CA
4) Mecklenburg County, NC (Charlotte)
5) Orange County, FL (Orlando)

Clayton County, GA

Inflow (In-State)

1) Fulton
2) DeKalb
3) Henry
4) Cobb
5) Gwinnett

Inflow (Out-of-State)

1) Miami-Dade County, FL
2) Broward County, Fl
3) Kings County, NY (Brooklyn)
4) Cook County, IL
5) Queens County, NY

Outflow (In-State)

1) Fulton
2) Henry
3) DeKalb
4) Cobb
5) Fayette

I really expected Henry to be #1 and Fayette to be #2. Interesting

Outflow (Out-of-State)

1) Cook County, IL
2) Orleans Parish, LA (New Orleans)
3) Kings County, NY
4) Miami-Dade County, FL
5) Harris County, TX

Now Cobb having Foreign migration as #1 surprises me quite a bit. I always thought that DeKalb and Gwinnett were the main destinations for the foreign born population here in Metro Atlanta.

I'm also surprised to see Harris County pop up three times on here from our "super-suburb" counties. I know that Texas has had the lead in population growth, and with Atlanta's economy not doing so well, Texas is being seen as the "Land of opportunity" right now.

Were there a lot of Katrina evacuees in Clayton County in particular?

I see why Publix is so popular up here in Atlanta. Besides being an awesome grocery store, it's all the Florida transplants. A lot of people do not realize the Georgia-Florida relationship and migration patterns. I know I didn't until I moved here.
I was surprised to see Harris county as well; I haven't met too many people from GA here. Did someone put up Harris County yet??? I could see a couple of ATL areas making the top 5.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:30 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I was surprised to see Harris county as well; I haven't met too many people from GA here. Did someone put up Harris County yet??? I could see a couple of ATL areas making the top 5.
It would be appropriate considering it's been in the top five of every list so far except New Jersey so far. I would like to see Detroit's as well.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:13 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Just keep in mind that Los Angeles County has around 10 million people, or the population of Michigan.

List of the most populous counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It WILL show up on a lot of top 10 out of state lists simply due to mathematical odds. If 60% of the New York metropolitan area was in ONE county (or 13 million people), it would show up on almost every list. However, most metro areas in the United States are divided into many counties, with no real central county.

If you think Texas is being inundated with Californians, how do you guys think Nevada feels

Nevada

Top 10 inflows

California: 58,878
Arizona: 10,070
Texas: 7,861
Florida: 6,982
Utah: 6,115 (wow, they have a lot of exemptions compared to returns! Those Mormons and their kids =P)
Washington: 5,587
Michigan: 5,577
Illinois: 4,979
Colorado: 4,914
New York: 4,751 (there's a trend of New Yorkers always having way more returns than exemptions. Do New Yorkers have kids or old people anymore?)

There were more Californians migrating into the Silver State in 2008 than the next 9 states combined (58,878 vs 56,836)! Maybe it's time to annex the place and start the 'Plan Golden Bear'

Last edited by Lifeshadower; 01-13-2010 at 07:31 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 09:57 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
NY and California are so connected to each other and these numbers confirm that. I suspect much of that is entertainment and finance people as well as techies, as well as wide-eyed college grads going from one place to the other. Despite people moving out of California, the state is still the primary destination of the creative class.

That's a contradiction if I ever read one. If people are leaving California in greater numbers than they're arriving, then I don't know how that could be true. As much as it pains me to admit, places like Charlotte, Atlanta, and Houston are doing a better job attracting young fresh talent than any place else at the moment.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:50 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
[/color][/color]

That's a contradiction if I ever read one. If people are leaving California in greater numbers than they're arriving, then I don't know how that could be true. As much as it pains me to admit, places like Charlotte, Atlanta, and Houston are doing a better job attracting young fresh talent than any place else at the moment.
That depends on what kind of creative young talent your talking about.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
[/color][/color]

It may seem like a contradiction, but perhaps not. While "creative class" isn't always consistently defined, I have read reports that show (at least in the case of NJ, and possibly other states with similar migration patterns), that while the middle and lower-income domestic migration is negative, it is positive for higher-income, highly-educated households. More wealthier and higher educated people move in than move out. The report cited below calls this a "Brain Gain."

http://www.princeton.edu/prior/PRIOReconomy-Final-(2).pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City