Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 225 71.43%
Georgia 90 28.57%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:27 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,785,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Some people seem to get overly emotional on this thread. The issue is food and what each state is characterized for. We know that Georgia probably has all the same chain restaurants that California has & that Atlanta probably has some very fine restaurants. But the difference is what do people eat and how the two states may differ. Southern food in general is not healthy food due to too much starch\ calories\ fat content\ cooking. It is not as healthy as what a typical person would eat in California. Most of what is grown in California is shipped out to the rest of the nation\ world but the availability of very diverse & very nutritious crops for the average Californian can not be matched in Georgia or anywhere in the U.S. Its a simple fact of life that food is produced in huge amounts in California & its citizens have more of the fresh & healthy products grown here.

No put-down on Georgia but Southern food is basically not healthy food, period!
Yes, it's not a question of Atlanta's restaurants here - everyone (mostly) knows that a big city of Atlanta's caliber will have world class dining.

I interpreted this as a comparison of typical Californian food vs. Georgian food. To me, Californian food is a lot of asian, middle eastern, mexican, and local/organic (to CA) food. Georgian food, to me, is a lot of country food and some barbecue also. Atlanta may have its share of Lebanese, Mexican, Japanese, etc. restaurants but in CA those are much more common even in the 'burbs. Not to mention CA's fast-food and burger culture which is the best in the nation, arguably.

CA has a lot of variety and a lot of healthy eating options throughout the entire state, whereas in Georgia, the country cooking is always quite bad for you, overall. It sure tastes GREAT but chicken fried steak with white gravy or biscuits with sausage gravy sure is an artery clogger.

CA wins this one almost on In-N-Out burger alone! Throw in Rubio's and fish tacos and it's no contest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Start one here and I'd make you rich myself.
What? Surely you guys are awash in the real deal down there?

Old 01-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Do you have El Pollo Pepes, too?
Sadly, no.

We do however have a huge assortment of authentic taquerias here, little mom and pop type places that are to die for!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:31 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Most of what is grown in California is shipped out to the rest of the nation\ world but the availability of very diverse & very nutritious crops for the average Californian can not be matched in Georgia or anywhere in the U.S. Its a simple fact of life that food is produced in huge amounts in California & its citizens have more of the fresh & healthy products grown here.
This is true, so how do other parts not have access to a lot of what Californians do? If we ship what is grown here, then don't people have access to much of the same foods we do since we are shipping it to them? A bit of a contradiction. I'm sure we have some things here that aren't as widely available elsewhere, but a lot of it is since we ship so much of it out.

Quote:
So is Mexican food! A look how many Californians eat that.

Also we are forgetting that this is not limited to the coastal urban areas, but the whole state. Do you honestly think the majority of people in places like the Central Valley are eating more like people in SF or more like people in GA? CA has PLENTY of areas that rival the heating habits and lifestyle of Georgia. We tend to focus too much on popular urban areas. This state isn't just SF, LA, and SD with people eating the freshest food and at the finest restaurants. Fresno, Sacramento, Bakersfield, etc.. yeah we tend to forget those parts.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:32 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:

I'll still take the following:
Fried Chicken
Collard Greens
Biscuits
Country or Chicken if you're from TX fried steak with the white gravy
hamhocks
Sweet Potato Pie
Black Eyed Peas
Smothered Pork Chops
BBQ
Banana Pudding
Buttered Beans

shall i continue. Georgia surely comes out on top when it comes to this and make no mistake, if you know what you're doing, this can indeed be very healthy.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
What? Surely you guys are awash in the real deal down there?
Missing that and BBQ.

Soul Food here = Creole/Cajun

Meat pies, red beans, rice and greens, jambalaya, a lot of seafood, etc. and a side of rice with everything <- best food in the world if you ask me.. but the the southern style food is just as good. It'll be nice for a change every once in a while

Old 01-22-2010, 11:33 AM

793 posts, read 1,452,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
In these "which state has better food threads" there should be a footnote. Anyone voting should have actually eaten food in both states at least several times to vote since food actually has to be tasted for the opinion to be valid.

Hearing it from someone else does not count
I can get on board with that, but it will never happen on City data

Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,072,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is true, so how do other parts not have access to a lot of what Californians do? If we ship what is grown here, then don't people have access to much of the same foods we do since we are shipping it to them? A bit of a contradiction. I'm sure we have some things here that aren't as widely available elsewhere, but a lot of it is since we ship so much of it out.

Also we are forgetting that this is not limited to the coastal urban areas, but the whole state. Do you honestly think the majority of people in places like the Central Valley are eating more like people in SF or more like people in GA? CA has PLENTY of areas that rival the heating habits and lifestyle of Georgia. We tend to focus too much on popular urban areas. This state is just SF, LA, and SD with people eating the freshest food and at the finest restaurants. Fresno, Sacramento, Bakersfield, etc.. yeah we tend to forget those parts.
Is it lonely being the only rational person in the entire State of California?

Old 01-22-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Yes, it's not a question of Atlanta's restaurants here - everyone (mostly) knows that a big city of Atlanta's caliber will have world class dining.

I interpreted this as a comparison of typical Californian food vs. Georgian food. To me, Californian food is a lot of asian, middle eastern, mexican, and local/organic (to CA) food. Georgian food, to me, is a lot of country food and some barbecue also. Atlanta may have its share of Lebanese, Mexican, Japanese, etc. restaurants but in CA those are much more common even in the 'burbs. Not to mention CA's fast-food and burger culture which is the best in the nation, arguably.

CA has a lot of variety and a lot of healthy eating options throughout the entire state, whereas in Georgia, the country cooking is always quite bad for you, overall. It sure tastes GREAT but chicken fried steak with white gravy or biscuits with sausage gravy sure is an artery clogger.

CA wins this one almost on In-N-Out burger alone! Throw in Rubio's and fish tacos and it's no contest.
The deal is that people are not eating the unhealthy stuff at every meal, just as I'm sure people in Jersey don't eat every meal at Diners.

And talk about unhealthy, fries smothered with brown gravy ain't too healthy either.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,573,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

Also we are forgetting that this is not limited to the coastal urban areas, but the whole state. Do you honestly think the majority of people in places like the Central Valley are eating more like people in SF or more like people in GA? CA has PLENTY of areas that rival the heating habits and lifestyle of Georgia. We tend to focus too much on popular urban areas. This state is just SF, LA, and SD with people eating the freshest food and at the finest restaurants. Fresno, Sacramento, Bakersfield, etc.. yeah we tend to forget those parts.
I am finding a lot of contradictions as to what he is saying also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City