Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has better food?
California 225 71.43%
Georgia 90 28.57%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'll still take the following:
Fried Chicken
Collard Greens
Biscuits
Country or Chicken if you're from TX fried steak with the white gravy
hamhocks
Sweet Potato Pie
Black Eyed Peas
Smothered Pork Chops
BBQ
Banana Pudding
Buttered Beans

shall i continue. Georgia surely comes out on top when it comes to this and make no mistake, if you know what you're doing, this can indeed be very healthy.
How can white gravy be "healthy"? (other than limiting what you eat to a tablespoon or two...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 11:35 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Atlanta may have its share of Lebanese, Mexican, Japanese, etc. restaurants but in CA those are much more common even in the 'burbs.
..and so do the suburbs in Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, you see where I'm going?

Take Jackson, Mississippi for example. There is Japanese (not the cheesy Hibachi joints), Lebanese, Greek, etc. all over the suburbs. So apply this to Atlanta and the numbers should increase by a large amount.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:37 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
I'll take a Georgia Peach over California navel orange any day of the week.lol

Old 01-22-2010, 11:37 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Missing that and BBQ.

Soul Food here = Creole/Cajun

Meat pies, red beans, rice and greens, jambalaya, a lot of seafood, etc. and a side of rice with everything <- best food in the world if you ask me.. but the the southern style food is just as good. It'll be nice for a change every once in a while

I'd kill for some Crawfish Etouffee here right now.

I used to live in South Mississippi (Hattiesburg). While it wasn't on the coast, there were enough ties to the coast to get some good cajun/creole food, and I would go to New Orleans quite a bit, so I've had my share of some of that good food.

Is the Praline Connection still open in New Orleans?

One of my old college buddies that also lives up here in Atlanta texted me one day frantically looking for some fresh crawfish. The only place that I could find it was at a farmers market and it the price was WAY higher than what he was accustomed to paying for back where he was from (MS Gulf Coast)

Old 01-22-2010, 11:39 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

I used to live in South Mississippi (Hattiesburg). While it wasn't on the coast, there were enough ties to the coast to get some good cajun/creole food, and I would go to New Orleans quite a bit, so I've had my share of some of that good food.

Is the Praline Connection still open in New Orleans?

One of my old college buddies that also lives up here in Atlanta texted me one day frantically looking for some fresh crawfish. The only place that I could find it was at a farmers market and it the price was WAY higher than what he was accustomed to paying for back where he was from (MS Gulf Coast)
I know right. $2 per lb is too expensive here, but they pay $4 and $5 in other places.

Praline Connection and any Praline shop in the CBD or Quarter is a rip-off. They charge tourists like 2$ for a pecan candy, where you can get them in the groc. store or from your local "pie man" for like $1 or less.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The deal is that people are not eating the unhealthy stuff at every meal, just as I'm sure people in Jersey don't eat every meal at Diners.

And talk about unhealthy, fries smothered with brown gravy ain't too healthy either.
Um, I never said or presumed that people eat the unhealthy stuff at every meal. Did you mean to reply to a different poster?

And fries w/ gravy and cheese is a NJ thing; this thread is about CA vs. GA. I'm not sure what the relevance is of NJ food to this thread.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Some people seem to get overly emotional on this thread. The issue is food and what each state is characterized for. We know that Georgia probably has all the same chain restaurants that California has & that Atlanta probably has some very fine restaurants. But the difference is what do people eat and how the two states may differ. Southern food in general is not healthy food due to too much starch\ calories\ fat content\ cooking. It is not as healthy as what a typical person would eat in California. Most of what is grown in California is shipped out to the rest of the nation\ world but the availability of very diverse & very nutritious crops for the average Californian can not be matched in Georgia or anywhere in the U.S. Its a simple fact of life that food is produced in huge amounts in California & its citizens have more of the fresh & healthy products grown here.

No put-down on Georgia but Southern food is basically not healthy food, period!
I didn't know this was a contest of which state had the healthier food. Rather, I thought it was about which one had the better food, which comes down to taste.

BergenCountyJohnny actually gave an interesting analysis of the perceived popular food/cuisine in California (Oriental fare, Mexican, etc.) as opposed to Georgia (more regional American, Southern). Of course, you can find a restaurant which serves Southern food in most parts of California, and there are plenty of Mexican restaurants in Georgia, but perhaps they wouldn't be as good as in the states they are generally associated with. Thus, it comes down to the food itself and which type one prefers. My three favorite types of cuisine are German, Southern-American, and Italian. The first two the South obviously excel in (larger German population, and obviously the South is the birthplace of its own cuisine), and as for good Italian food, I've been to places in New Orleans, Atlanta, and Nashville that would rival any in California.

California best excels in East Asian cuisine, Mexican, and perhaps Indian. I like most of those cuisines, but they aren't my first pick.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:42 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
If you're coming from somewhere that is known for bagels and pizza, then why would you go somewhere that's known for something else and complain about it. hmmm? Then again if she had the best Pizza in the world in Atlanta she wouldn't admit it because it didn't come from NY or CA.

Actually, i've said on here a couple times in the past that the best sushi I've ever had came from this one restaurant in Tampa. And for the record, no, I don't remember the name of it. I also have said that I had amazing italian at this suburban Las Vegas restaurant that a family friend took us to. I give props to cities if I have really good food there.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:43 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:

Send him here, grindin: Crawfish Shack Seafood - Atlanta, GA

It's run by a very cool Vietnamese guy from New Orleans, named Hui.

It's a little gem that most don't know of yet, but the word is getting out.

He has his crawfish trucked in fresh daily, and they are GOOD. He'll sell you fresh that you can take home to cook if you like.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:45 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:

)
that and boudin. Everytime we ride through Lafayette on our way to Florida, we stop there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City