Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 04:15 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I have a problem with absolute #s when it comes to visitors. Does it take into account # of people who have no interest in being a "tourist" with their 1/2 day trips, 1 day trips?
The point is the number of people that visit a city does not correlate to the number of attractions, which is the whole point of this thread. Which place has the most stuff to visit and diversity in what to visit is why this thread was created and it was pretty interesting....... that is until people started talking about how many tourists go to a city.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
RR3

41 posts, read 50,502 times
Quote:
I have a problem with absolute #s when it comes to visitors. Does it take into account # of people who have no interest in being a "tourist" with their 1/2 day trips, 1 day trips? My colleagues often fly into Chicago, NYC, LA, and Vegas for trainings, Board meetings, or conventions several times a week, but I would not consider them tourists. I would think this would overly inflate the numbers of these cities.

For the case of Orlando, if someone is going to be there, they REALLY want to be there.
Maybe this will shut down that argument and put this into perspective.

Overseas tourists 2008 according to the U.S. Department of Commerce -final destinations

New York City: 7,600,000
Los Angeles: 2,700,000
Miami: 2,300,000
San Francisco: 2,300,000
Orlando: 2,100,000
Las Vegas: 1,700,000
Honolulu: 1,600,000
Washington: 1,200,000

These people obviously don't take 1/2 day or day trips to NYC.

New York, L.A., Miami are most-visited U.S. cities by overseas travelers | Oregon Travel News - - Oregon, US & International Travel News - Oregonlive.com

Old 02-03-2010, 04:50 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR3 View Post
Maybe this will shut down that argument and put this into perspective.

Overseas tourists 2008 according to the U.S. Department of Commerce -final destinations

New York City: 7,600,000
Los Angeles: 2,700,000
Miami: 2,300,000
San Francisco: 2,300,000
Orlando: 2,100,000
Las Vegas: 1,700,000
Honolulu: 1,600,000
Washington: 1,200,000

These people obviously don't take 1/2 day or day trips to NYC.

New York, L.A., Miami are most-visited U.S. cities by overseas travelers | Oregon Travel News - - Oregon, US & International Travel News - Oregonlive.com
No one doubts that NYC has the absolute numbers if you want to narrowly define it like this.

How about we do a pound for pound fight. (equally as valid)

Per capita, the only impressive numbers I see from that list are international visitors to San Francisco (3x its population), Orlando (9x its population), Vegas (3x its population), Honolulu (4x its population), and maybe Washington (2x its population).

NYC and LA international visitors comprise less than 1x their actual populations. No one wants to visit you internationally on a 1:1 basis and that's a fact.

How's that for analysis?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
RR3

Quote:
No one doubts that NYC has the absolute numbers if you want to narrowly define it like this.

How about we do a pound for pound fight. (equally as valid)

Per capita, the only impressive numbers I see from that list are international visitors to San Francisco (3x its population), Orlando (9x its population), Vegas (3x its population), Honolulu (4x its population), and maybe Washington (2x its population).

NYC and LA international visitors comprise less than 1x their actual populations. No one wants to visit you internationally on a 1:1 basis and that's a fact.

How's that for analysis?
What? That makes absolutely no sense.

I don't understand how the per capita visitors : residence ratio makes any sense. There are certain instances where per capita could make sense, but this certainly isn't one of them.

And go down this road of ridiculousness and if we break it down further, 95% of the tourists (I'm guessing) visited Manhattan which completely annihilates any locale on this list. Fact.

But the end of the day nearly 8 million people visited NYC and only 2 million visited San Francisco..or DC. 6 Million more people decided that visiting NYC is more fabulous than visiting SF or DC. Get over it.

Last edited by RR3; 02-03-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 05:11 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
domestic visitors are just as Important if not more important than international visitors. So showing numbers of how many international visitors doesn't proove much

Old 02-03-2010, 05:19 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Orlando ONLY has Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Really? The numbers say otherwise. Seems how Orlando, has been number 1 and number 2 behind LA interchangably for years. Just saying.
That it is IT. You cannot compare Orando to NYC or LA.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:22 PM
RR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
domestic visitors are just as Important if not more important than international visitors. So showing numbers of how many international visitors doesn't proove much
Not really. In terms of revenue to the cities, yes but in terms of gauging desirability..no.

Even though New York City is the most visited domestically as well, it's far too difficult to prove which visitors are actually visiting the city vs traveling to the city for business vs passing through.

International figures paint a broader picture. I think it's safe to assume that the vast majority of those coming in from overseas are actually on holiday, not passing through.

...and New York has nearly 2X the amount as the next city on the list. In fact, more people from overseas visit NYC than the entire state of California.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:23 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR3 View Post
What? That makes absolutely no sense.

I don't understand how the per capita visitors : residence ratio makes any sense. There are certain instances where per capita could make sense, but this certainly isn't one of them.

And go down this road of ridiculousness and if we break it down further, 95% of the tourists (I'm guessing) visited Manhattan which completely annihilates any locale on this list. Fact.

But the end of the day nearly 8 million people visited NYC and only 2 million visited San Francisco..or DC. 6 Million more people decided that visiting NYC is more fabulous than visiting SF or DC. Get over it.
Not pound for pound.

You could add up SF, Miami, Orlando, Vegas, Honolulu, and Washington and get a population of just slightly over 3 Million, but that puny 3 Million easily kills NYC with 11.2 Million international visitors. How is that possible? Do the math!

Pathetic. Based on NYC's population, if it were so above and beyond, just to be on par (pound for pound), it would need almost 30 Million international visitors.

And it's hilarious that you are trying to paint your opinion where you stated that "you are guessing" as fact.

Please provide us with one more fact. How old are you? Because this is middle school sh*t.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:31 PM
RR3

Quote:
Not pound for pound.

You could add up SF, Miami, Orlando, Vegas, Honolulu, and Washington and get a population of just slightly over 3 Million, but that puny 3 Million easily kills NYC with 11.2 Million international visitors. How is that possible? Do the math!

Pathetic. Based on NYC's population, if it were so above and beyond, just to be on par (pound for pound), it would need almost 30 Million international visitors.

And it's hilarious that you are trying to paint your opinion where you stated that "you are guessing" as fact.

Please provide us with one more fact. How old are you? Because this is middle school sh*t.
LMAO. WOW, talk about grasping for straws!

Only someone with a huge inferiority complex could turn the fact that NYC is by far the most visited by overseas travelers into something negative.

Per Capita? What? LOL. I'm still laughing at your lame attempt but A+ for effort though!

FYI, the hotel room rate in NY is much higher that of SF, LA, DC, Orlando, etc. Even the budget priced hotel rooms isn't enough to lure tourists into those cities. LOL.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
I think it would be useful to separate cities according to size when it comes to this for a more accurate comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City