Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:56 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
There not a such thing as a Black mecca or Latin Mecca. The only people that hype that nonsense tend to be African Americans. I don't here Hispanics raving at fact that all large cities in the sunbelt they tend to be the largest minority or the majority for that matter. We (black) make up 13.5% percent of the population. Seriously people should chill out with this Mecca crap.
What you cannot deny is that Atlanta is a center of African American culture and history and Miami is a center of Latino culture. Whether or not you want to apply the "mecca" title to these cities is up to you, but that's what it means so let's not quibble about semantics here. And I thought I said I hoped we could avoid going down this route for the umpteenth time on here. Let's not derail a legitimate discussion with something so trivial. You know what I'm getting at as far as my overall point is concerned (wider cultural influences Atlanta and Miami have on their respective surrounding areas, particularly Blacks in the Deep South and Latinos in the Carribbean), so just chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st. louie louie View Post
Uhh No. Not even close.
I would be interested in why Indianapolis could rival Cleveland. I don't see it but mayb there's something he/she knows that we don't.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
i was about to state the same in regards to New Orleans.I would give New Orleans having almost as much influence as Atlanta.My friends from overseas know about Mardi Gras and Katrina.
New Orleans has a huge cultural influence that is unique to the South. However, it has some issues and problems economially that, IMO, disqualify it from competing as one of the top 5 cities in the South. If we eliminate DC due to a "hung jury," New Orleans still does not outshine Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa, Nashville, Raleigh, etc. This is not to disagree with New Orleans as a city and metro, because it is truly a shining gem in the South, but I would not call it an undeniable powerhouse.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
New Orleans has a huge cultural influence that is unique to the South. However, it has some issues and problems economially that, IMO, disqualify it from competing as one of the top 5 cities in the South. If we eliminate DC due to a "hung jury," New Orleans still does not outshine Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa, Nashville, Raleigh, etc. This is not to disagree with New Orleans as a city and metro, because it is truly a shining gem in the South, but I would not call it an undeniable powerhouse.
Well Im taking about cultural influence.Economically its minimal.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I see and I figured that was your angle. I think it is sad. It truly is a great city, from what I hear, I think it deserves to be in the top 5 in the Southern region. Perhaps on par with Miami and Atlanta. In the South we would then have heavy influences in Latin American/Caribbean, African-American, and French-Creole/Cajun, as top cities. I guess the South is pretty diverse after all. LOL!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I know that recently, Florida surpassed New York in terms of numbers of transplants into Georgia if the emigration patterns are being looked at. But there are tons of people here from other Mid-Atlantic states as well. I was at a social event here in Atlanta, and they started playing Go-Go music, which is not THAT well known outside of the DC area...But there are a LOT of DC area transplants down here. I've also met quite a few Michigan transplants here as well.

What about the Twin Cities influence on the Upper Midwest? No doubt that Chicago dominates much of the Midwest, but I'm referring to MN, Eastern ND & SD, Northern Iowa, Northern Wisconsin, etc.
I would be interested in knowing this as well. Since I am not from the Mid-West I tend to think it is dominted by Chicago with various smaller-larger metros having niche areas. Kind of like how New York has of the Northeast. You have Boston-New England, Phily-Deleware Valley, Pittsburgh-Appalacia Northeast?, etc.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:23 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
What you cannot deny is that Atlanta is a center of African American culture and history and Miami is a center of Latino culture. Whether or not you want to apply the "mecca" title to these cities is up to you, but that's what it means so let's not quibble about semantics here. And I thought I said I hoped we could avoid going down this route for the umpteenth time on here. Let's not derail a legitimate discussion with something so trivial. You know what I'm getting at as far as my overall point is concerned (wider cultural influences Atlanta and Miami have on their respective surrounding areas, particularly Blacks in the Deep South and Latinos in the Carribbean), so just chill.
Don't even waste your time trying to reason with a Texan. They always get like this when they feel others don't view them as the center of the universe the way they do.

Look how they ruined the Dallas vs Atlanta thread because they got mad about peoplereferring to Atlanta as a "Black Mecca". I couldn't believe how the Atlanta posters took the bait.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:25 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Quote:
Yes and No. New Orleans supplies most of the goods to the midwest and mississippi river valley and it's home to the 1st and 8th largest seaports. Plus, where do you all think most of the oil that Houston gets the credit for comes from? The companies moved to Houston, but most of the oil infrastructure stayed here. Many of the oil companies have there white collar in Houston, but the production aspect and blue collar are still here.

We're no longer a Dal/Hou/Atl, but we are more important than we get credit for. I will add that the future is looking increasingly good for us as well.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:35 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Look how they ruined the Dallas vs Atlanta thread because they got mad about peoplereferring to Atlanta as a "Black Mecca". I couldn't believe how the Atlanta posters took the bait.
Even some Atlanteans dont like Atlanta being referred to as a "Black Mecca". So don't blame the Texans. Can't believe I took this bait, but, oh well.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I see and I figured that was your angle. I think it is sad. It truly is a great city, from what I hear, I think it deserves to be in the top 5 in the Southern region. Perhaps on par with Miami and Atlanta. In the South we would then have heavy influences in Latin American/Caribbean, African-American, and French-Creole/Cajun, as top cities. I guess the South is pretty diverse after all. LOL!
Well, New Orleans is doing some good things right now. They just elected a new mayor (LA Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu) and their school system is becoming a national model on some levels after being revamped. Venture capitalists and entrepreneurs are taking a chance on the city. The city still has its issues for sure, but there's some hope on the horizon in the Big Easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City