Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times

Advertisements

It seems like the South is the only region having issues with having a dominant city. Perhaps each major city in the South has its own niche in which it excels. Miami, DC, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas is a good combination. Perhaps only rivaled by the North in terms of great cities.

One issue I am having is with St. Louis as a major city of the midwest. I'm not saying St. Louis isn't a great midwestern city. IMO, its the same issue posters have of DC in the South. I just imagine St. Louis as a peripherary midwest city and a city like Milwaukee, Indianapolis, or Columbus to be in the final fifth spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
dc does not feel southern at all, there in the 80s. I imagine hardly anybody there identifies with the south, hence why they live in DC and not richmond.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-09-2010 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: insulting

Old 02-08-2010, 07:13 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Well there is a Southern twang in many peoples' accent......St. Louis, Cincinnati, Indy and Columbus are similar. Though nobody from those areas ever feel they have an accent, in fact, I was once told that Columbus had the most neutral accent in the country (sure...). D.C. is "borderline" city that is built like a Northern metropolis, IMO.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
dc does not feel southern at all, I imagine hardly anybody there identifies with the south, hence why they live in DC and not richmond.
We are going by US Census designations. You may disagree with its set up, and understandably so, but for the sake of a fair assessment the official US Census designations are used. Read the OP.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-09-2010 at 04:48 AM.. Reason: insulting

Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Well there is a Southern twang in many peoples' accent......St. Louis, Cincinnati, Indy and Columbus are similar. Though nobody from those areas ever feel they have an accent, in fact, I was once told that Columbus had the most neutral accent in the country (sure...). D.C. is "borderline" city that is built like a Northern metropolis, IMO.
Cincy and Indianapolis might have a similar accent, but they don't share it with Columbus. There is a southern twang in Cincy and most of Indiana (from my experience). But not so much in Columbus... it's more similar to Pittsburgh.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:36 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Cincy and Indianapolis might have a similar accent, but they don't share it with Columbus. There is a southern twang in Cincy and most of Indiana (from my experience). But not so much in Columbus... it's more similar to Pittsburgh.
Man it is one of my high school teachers back in the day was from Gary and she was country and loud.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:00 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Well being from the "North" (Minnesota) I found that Columbus was the "nexus" of North and South: some people had a Southern twang, others had more of that nasal North speak. Still, most people in C-bus deny it anyways -- which doesn't surprise me.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,948,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
So in 2025 when DFW will be on the verge of esclipsing Chicago for the 3rd largest metro area in the country will it be considered the regional center powerhouse. DFW need to get it together and form an identity and some pride. DFW is the largest metro area in the south by a healthy margin and 4th largest in the country. This is begining to really tick me off. I am puzzled that Dallas/Fort Worth metro has added more residents than any metro since 2000 but people are puzzled about what it offers.
Population isn't everything though. Dallas is second in GDP. There really is no telling which city will come out on top, if any do. I think Houston/Dallas/Atlanta will pull away from Miami more.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:05 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Well being from the "North" (Minnesota) I found that Columbus was the "nexus" of North and South: some people had a Southern twang, others had more of that nasal North speak. Still, most people in C-bus deny it anyways -- which doesn't surprise me.
My roommate from the CHi had a slight southern accent. I was surprised. I was watching a doc. with people from Ohio and they had it too. I didn't know it went that far.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:19 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Population isn't everything though. Dallas is second in GDP. There really is no telling which city will come out on top, if any do. I think Houston/Dallas/Atlanta will pull away from Miami more.
I believe that to be somewhat true:

I belive Atlanta and Dallas serve a similar role as the logistics center and capitals of their respective subregions. Where they serve as the center for trade and thrive of the success of the regions

While Houston and Miami serve as the equally stong ports and specialty industry cities. Houston oil and Miami tourism and caribbean commerce.

I don't see any of these cities pulling away because they are so codependant. Miami will recover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City