Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 02:51 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Possibly the U.P. Of Michigan> It is beautiful there though!!
It's not "backward" if you enjoy going there. Yes, it's a little short on wi-fi internet, but it's otherwise not painful to visit or even stay a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 03:57 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
I agree with parts of East Texas. It can be unwelcoming to newcomers and backwards in some ways... mainly socially. The rednecks can be hostile to outsiders, but there are some nice people there, too, who are not rednecks. But it is somewhat frozen in time and has a more southern feel to it. And by East Texas I mean only parts of it, mostly directly east and northeast, that are not college towns or close to major cities.

However, I would have to give this prize to parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, hands down. Strangely, I didn't find rural Louisiana to be socially backwards, perhaps because they are relatively socially liberal and used to outsiders and being studied for their Cajun and Creole language and customs, but re: educational attainment, government, race relations, career opportunities, and many other things, these states are TOTALLY backwards to the point of being regressive and oppressive.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:55 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times
houstoner, I agree with everything in your post (even though you omitted eastern Kentucky). Your description of east Texas is perfect, including the good parts. Yes, there are some nice people there. It's also quite beautiful in many areas. But frozen in time, unwelcoming, those were also my experiences. It's probably a tough life in the rural areas there, very difficult climate, bad economy, etc. It's so beautiful, though, I think it might someday become more developed.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:58 PM

150 posts, read 519,830 times
I agree about east texas. Lots of nice people doing things there own way (interesting ways)Damn goog food. But there are some real hillbillies in the swamp and if you arnt from there it is hard to just have a conversation.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:40 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Out of all of the places you've been, from a small farm to a great urban metropolis, which areas of our great country seem to be backwards, socially? Meaning, where do people show hostility to newcomers, unfair work practice, prejudice, segregation, etc.
Montgomery County, Maryland and Berkeley, California. Now let me explain simply, liberals are always "liberal" in the technical sense of the word. In many places unless you are a radical left-wing anti-war, pro-gay, pro-abortion left, you are either "ignorant" or you are a "hick" or a "redneck" or just an "idiot".

Narrowminded can come from teh left as well as the right. Here in suburban Maryland peopel in workplaces would openly talk trash about the President and about the government in general and about their liberal views, including views saying illegal immigrants have a right to live on our land.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Prince George's County, Maryland feels like a Third World country. The county government is useless and corrupton and nepotism is rampant, including the head of the school board never having taught a single day in school, among other things. Police are heavily corrupt, gangs are everywhere, nobody speaks English anymore, illegals overruning the place not to mention more people murdered last year than in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:18 AM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
I will just say that Eastern Kentucky still appears to be stuck in a time warp. This area has had very poor economic development, low educational achievement, an inadequate road infrastructure, and large numbers of people living in rural counties with few jobs. Also, this region has very little diversity and few immigrants coming into the area.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:52 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
The Appalachians. Many areas from northern Alabama and Georgia, northward through Pennsylvania has to be the most backwards part of the country....They somehow believe that they "own" the areas in which they live, and get mad when people from more sophisticated areas try to change their region for the better. ...
Interesting. Maybe...they DO own those areas...and what makes you think your way is better?
Methinks you would be livid if the same standard was applied to you.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:45 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
In Circleville, Utah the town put this restaurant out of business just beacuse they were outsiders.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:48 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
houstoner, I agree with everything in your post (even though you omitted eastern Kentucky). Your description of east Texas is perfect, including the good parts. Yes, there are some nice people there. It's also quite beautiful in many areas. But frozen in time, unwelcoming, those were also my experiences. It's probably a tough life in the rural areas there, very difficult climate, bad economy, etc. It's so beautiful, though, I think it might someday become more developed.
I grew up there... it ain't so bad. Some towns are worse than others. There are some nice things about rural life. It is East Texas, not the Deep South, so even its race relations, while not at all progressive, aren't near as bad as stuff I've seen in the Deep South where people can be downright hostile no matter what class they are. In East Texas it's mostly just the rednecks who are hostile and ignorant, but they usually live away from town and out in the country anyway so they can be avoided to some extent. Oh, and the old people, of course, who are just ignorant, but not hostile. There were lots of blacks and Mexicans (yes, from Mexico) and Mexican-Americans there when I grew up and I hear there are even more Latinos (from other parts of Latin America in addition to Mexico) there now. Poor people and minorities may not have many opportunities there, but the ones who want to are usually able to leave and do, for the bigger cities or elsewhere. Not so much the case in the Deep South. Sure, there aren't as many jobs, but there's also no smog, traffic, not as much crime... no big city problems. The air is fresher and you can see the stars, and the scenery is lovely, as you said.

I've never been to Kentucky so I couldn't comment on it. Unlike SOME PEOPLE, not you TheHarvester, I don't comment on places I've never been or only visited once or wasn't in long enough to leave an impression.

(Yes, that was my snide, passive-aggressive attack on the Houston-haters. )

Last edited by houstoner; 06-13-2007 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: adding stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City