Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 10:45 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Montgomery County, Maryland and Berkeley, California. Now let me explain simply, liberals are always "liberal" in the technical sense of the word. In many places unless you are a radical left-wing anti-war, pro-gay, pro-abortion left, you are either "ignorant" or you are a "hick" or a "redneck" or just an "idiot".

Narrowminded can come from teh left as well as the right.
Even though the places you mentioned can't be called "backward" in terms of being connected to the outside world, being up-to-date culturally and technologically and economically, I really like your way of thinking outside the box in your response. It's true, what you say about feeling unwelcome in certain uber-liberal places. The Bay Area in general is like that, especially Berkeley and parts of SF, Marin, and western Sonoma County. I happen to be "one of them" so I can get along with "them" just fine, but the prevalent attitude of absolute intolerance of alternative points of view is really scary to me. This is why I prefer the liberalism of Austin, it's much less in-your-face (except at city council meetings, where a small band of leftists can turn the room into a war zone.) Generally the liberalism here is very open-minded and not at all like the West Coast's political correctness.

Even my own friends and family on the west coast can be absolutely vicious in their hatred of Republicans and any idea that clashes with their belief system. It's pure dogmatism and it's contrary to everything that Berkeley fought for during the Free Speech Movement. It's ironic that the home of that movement is now one of the most suppressed places in the nation when it comes to speaking one's mind freely. Sure, you can advocate anything leftist and PC there, but they'll run you out of town if you're even a moderate who speaks openly about the possibility that there MIGHT be other ways to see things...
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 12:05 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
I happen to be "one of them" so I can get along with "them" just fine, but the prevalent attitude of absolute intolerance of alternative points of view is really scary to me.
I feel the same way, just on the convervative/crazy redneck side. I'm from the deep south, and grew up in a poverty-stricken area of SC. I can appreciate what you're saying about intolerance, and how some folks are too busy pointing a finger to see their own intolerance. Your earlier post struck me funny:

Quote:
I remember a group of young redneck guys staring a hole right through me when I stopped in a tiny one-store town to get gas and a snack. The way they stared and didn't respond to my attempt at being friendly made me afraid for my life. It was like "Who you think you are, you don't belong here Boy!" I can't imagine what it would feel like to be at that same store if I were black or had a strong northern accent. Worst thing for me is simply that I drive a foreign car and don't have a hick accent.
My first thought was.. they didn't do anything. They didn't say anything. Nothing at all happened to you, and yet you see these people as backwards. Why?

To me, it's backwards to assume that those guys were racist (i.e. what if I were black?) or that you needed to fear for your life. To me, that is just a overreaction you had to a totally harmless situation. That's like me fearing for my life in San Francisco, because I talk like a southerner.

And I don't mean to pick on you, I've just seen this type of thing before. A story about how isolated and scary the "backwards southerners" are. Is it because of the movie Deliverance?

Old 06-14-2007, 03:00 PM

43 posts, read 218,985 times
Forsyth county Georgia.

Old 06-14-2007, 04:52 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,005 times
[quote=miamiman;800393]The Appalachians. Many areas from northern Alabama and Georgia, northward through Pennsylvania has to be the most backwards part of the country. You can read some of the local subforums on this site and witness the provinical and unwelcoming attitudes of many existing residents. They somehow believe that they "own" the areas in which they live, and get mad when people from more sophisticated areas try to change their region for the better.

This sounds pretty arrogant why should people try to change the place they got o the people that live there obviously like it just fine. When you say better, that is your opinion.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:39 PM

8 posts, read 32,536 times
Ummmmmmmmmmm MARYLAND??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Out of all of the places you've been, from a small farm to a great urban metropolis, which areas of our great country seem to be backwards, socially? Meaning, where do people show hostility to newcomers, unfair work practice, prejudice, segregation, etc.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:42 PM

8 posts, read 32,536 times
I would say it is probably because most educated people ( intellectually and socially) have good manners and dont stare........hence thinking they are backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I feel the same way, just on the convervative/crazy redneck side. I'm from the deep south, and grew up in a poverty-stricken area of SC. I can appreciate what you're saying about intolerance, and how some folks are too busy pointing a finger to see their own intolerance. Your earlier post struck me funny:

My first thought was.. they didn't do anything. They didn't say anything. Nothing at all happened to you, and yet you see these people as backwards. Why?

To me, it's backwards to assume that those guys were racist (i.e. what if I were black?) or that you needed to fear for your life. To me, that is just a overreaction you had to a totally harmless situation. That's like me fearing for my life in San Francisco, because I talk like a southerner.

And I don't mean to pick on you, I've just seen this type of thing before. A story about how isolated and scary the "backwards southerners" are. Is it because of the movie Deliverance?

Old 06-14-2007, 05:43 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,061 times
from my experience, definently not maryland espcially when you compare it to some other places

Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 PM

793 posts, read 3,121,663 times
I can pick out any number of towns/regions in every single state. For urban areas, I'd have to make a case for Richmond, VA, most central and western upstate New York cities, and any city not named "Boise" in the state of Idaho.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:22 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
I can pick out any number of towns/regions in every single state. For urban areas, I'd have to make a case for Richmond, VA, most central and western upstate New York cities, and any city not named "Boise" in the state of Idaho.
Upstate New York cities, particularly Rochester are hotbeds for higher education and culture. I can't see how this would equate to "backwardness".

Old 06-14-2007, 08:29 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,238 times
It could be just about any small town that is isolated. It could be in any state. Mixing in new people and ideas keeps a place from being backwoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City