Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:58 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am a North Carolina native and when we were in Denver years ago with my husbands company we were told not to ask for a transfer because they already had a waiting list. I would choose North Carolina because of family connections here, but we really enjoyed living in Denver. There was always something to do that did not cost an arm and a leg. Charlotte has things to do, but you usually get to pay for it.
That is one thing I wish was better about the area. Until there is always the strolls uptown through Marshall and Freedom park as well as the urban parks on Tryon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 01:20 AM

125 posts, read 251,302 times
I've been in both cities extensively and I have to agree the consensus here. Denver is my clear choice. More to do and it has the big-city feel that I enjoy. And the Colorado weather is underrated.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 PM

10 posts, read 16,780 times
Default Weighing in on Denver and Charlotte

I am now moving to Charlotte from Denver. Have lived in Denver for 16 years. LOVE IT! Sorry to be moving but we all must do what is necessary for a job. I can say that Denver has a live and let live attitude so it does not matter what your color because I do not know many people with whom I am acquainted that would judge somebody on anything other than the individual. I sure hope that I am not going to be judged in Charlotte because of religious bias. The weather in Denver is great. Yes, it snows, but it also has tons of sunshine nearly every day, and we do not have bugs!!! We can actually go outside at night and not be eaten my mosquitos. Is that a problem in Charlotte? I am keeping an open mind so please be nice to me when I get there.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
I can't choose between the two to be honest. Both are wonderful cities in 2 of the most beautiful states. I really love Charlotte and it's proximity to everything on the eastern seaboard. Plus, North Carolina is one of my favorite states in the East/South.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,804,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkkdenver View Post
I am now moving to Charlotte from Denver. Have lived in Denver for 16 years. LOVE IT! Sorry to be moving but we all must do what is necessary for a job. I can say that Denver has a live and let live attitude so it does not matter what your color because I do not know many people with whom I am acquainted that would judge somebody on anything other than the individual. I sure hope that I am not going to be judged in Charlotte because of religious bias. The weather in Denver is great. Yes, it snows, but it also has tons of sunshine nearly every day, and we do not have bugs!!! We can actually go outside at night and not be eaten my mosquitos. Is that a problem in Charlotte? I am keeping an open mind so please be nice to me when I get there.

Just be prepared......Charlotte is no Denver...One of the few native Charlotteans that are still left in the city. Trying to relocate myself to Phoenix by 2011. Wish me luck

Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Just be prepared......Charlotte is no Denver...One of the few native Charlotteans that are still left in the city. Trying to relocate myself to Phoenix by 2011. Wish me luck
Wow!! So you've never lived anywhere but Charlotte? Now I'm starting to understand the root of your discontent.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
This should be cut and dry! Just far more going on in Denver. Better scenery, more outdoor opportunities, all the pro sports leagues, more museums, and a better performing arts center. More conventions come here. In my opinion, better weather (more sunny days for sure). I guess the ONLY thing charlotte has on is a taller building, but far less overall, and way less dense downtown. Denver also has the more eduacated population and is ranked a better city to raise a family, and for singles as well. Just cut and dry in my book!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
This should be cut and dry! Just far more going on in Denver. Better scenery, more outdoor opportunities, all the pro sports leagues, more museums, and a better performing arts center. More conventions come here. In my opinion, better weather (more sunny days for sure). I guess the ONLY thing charlotte has on is a taller building, but far less overall, and way less dense downtown. Denver also has the more eduacated population and is ranked a better city to raise a family, and for singles as well. Just cut and dry in my book!
See my previous posts regarding a need to acknowledge there are "different strokes for different folks"; then understand why the notion of there being "more going on" in Denver may not apply to all segments of the US population

Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 PM

229 posts, read 520,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post

Really no such thing as "cut and dry". Now, for the majority of people who post on City-data, the affirmative may lie more heavily towards one city as opposed to another. But everyone is attracted to a city (or town) based on their own personal reasons. With that said, I think most people here would lean towards Denver beacuse it is a bigger, more established city and has more things to do. But Charlotte has it's own advantages, like every place else. Charlotte is MUCH closer to other places of interest. It has a high quality of life and is a very pogressive city in many reagrds. In addition, as others have said, it has more of an appeal to certain groups of people than Denver. Between the two, I would pick Charlotte, but Denver is also a nice city.

Last edited by Kingsley; 02-22-2010 at 09:52 PM..

Old 02-23-2010, 08:14 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,071,537 times
Based on what? Closer to east coast cities? I have yet to see a reason given on why anyone would pick it other than "I have family there". Please! Give me a reason it is the "Better" city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City