Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of Pizza
New York 162 46.55%
Chicago 139 39.94%
other 47 13.51%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 01:24 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
Ok this is my first post... I'm going to try to do this... here goes nothing...

I have been to both New York and Chicago and people in both cities act like it is common knowlege that they have the best pizza.

Well... now we are going to have a showdown... Which city has the best pizza in America? Which city has the best pizza restaurants? Who is the pizza capital of America?
They're both good. I can't call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 03:37 PM

358 posts, read 755,222 times
New York style

Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Chicago by far, I was not impressed with pizza in NYC at all. But I've never really cared for thin crust. The worst was this pizza I had in Hoboken, NJ, I'm sure there are better places but it's not as easy to come across good pizza in NY or NJ as some make it out to be imo.
I agree NYC's pizza is underwhelming and Chicago's flat style is just as good, if not better. New York Pizzaria's like to boast that NY pizza gets it's distinct flavor (particularly the crust) from using water from the Hudson river. They BRAG about this. I lived in New York long enough to know what's floating around in the Hudson river, so no thanks I'll stick with Chi. If Deep Dish is tomato soup with crust, then NYC pizza is a big floppy sail made out of cheese and grease. I've spent enough time in Italy to know that NYC's pizza is just as inauthentic as Chicago style, but then again, America has it's own school of making pizza, so maybe the Italy comparison is even apt.

I grew up in Chicago though, so you can blame it on regional bias.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:08 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
cough*new haven*cough

Old 07-07-2012, 06:21 PM

451 posts, read 695,201 times
NYC doesnt even have the best pizza in NY.

Utica, NY is one example with better pizza.

Spumoni Gardens is hot tomato pie, and if youre not from Utica or Philly, then you have no idea what tomato pie is.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 PM

10 posts, read 29,582 times
Default Pizza

I voted for New York Pizza. Nothing surpasses it. I live in Rockland County, and refuse to eat pizza outside of the New York state border (unless I really have to.) For some reason, pizza in the downstate area of New York taste a lot better than it does anywhere else, nothing compares. I've eaten at countless places in Rockland, Westchester, the Bronx and Manhattan, and the pizza all tastes the same and is some of the best you can eat. I've had pizza in New Jersey dozens of times as my girlfriend and her family are from there, and for the most part have been dissatisfied aside from a few places. The place that really made the best pizza in Jersey was the Brooklyn Pizza in Hackensack. A side from that, pizza in Jersey all tastes the same although some are better than others. Too greasy in my opinion, which is another difference between the pizza in New York and New Jersey. If you have knowledge of both pizza in New York and New Jersey, you can tell the difference.

I'd love to have the opportunity to try Chicago pizza some time though.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:53 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,115 times
Chicago. There are two different types to satisfy whatever you are looking for.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:17 AM

425 posts, read 371,236 times
Recently went to Spumoni Gardens, and laughed at how overrated it is.

Its just hot tomato pie as RS said.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:48 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Chicago because its deep dish, it has volume where as NY pizza is thin, flat, and boring.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:54 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,828,128 times
Gaby's pizza and Gertz Mall pizza is da best Chicago ain't got nuttin on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City