Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of Pizza
New York 162 46.55%
Chicago 139 39.94%
other 47 13.51%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 PM

13,018 posts, read 22,220,707 times

Advertisements

New Haven. Sally's Apizza blows anything I've had in either NYC or Chicago out of the water. Best pizza town in the U.S. Great food town overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:19 PM

147 posts, read 372,460 times
Eh, I like Sally's for its particular style, though not a fan of the white clam pizza(too salty), my favorite all time pizza is still L&B Spumoni. I never get sick of that place's sicilian pies

Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,390,094 times
I think in terms of reproduction capability, NY style is in a league of its own. Nearly every city in the country - nay, the world - has some form of pizza joint and 99.999% of the time, it is NY style. Even other areas that have their own variations are merely taking the NY style and changing it slightly, a lot of times for hte worst (St. Louis style ... eww ... provel cheese = velveeta + provolone = cardboard), sometimes for the better (Hawaiian pizza, yum!).

Chicago style pizza is an aberration and is truly unique. I mean, where else did a city take a pizza that is doughy, slimy, with the cheese on top and say "we can do better!" and come up with the glorious spectacle that is the Chicago style pizza?

I've been to a fair number of cities around the world, and nobody, nobody ever comes remotely close. I've literally cried when I would order a Chicago style pizza somewhere and they bring out this deep dish crust thing or a normal pizza with just more cheese. I'm like

"uh, what is this?"

"Chicago style pizza!" the owner says

"Um ... no it isn't. I'm from Chicago. I've eaten this stuff all my life. I should know."

"Well its how I learned"

*cries, eats it, cries again, pays the bill and sulks away*

I just stopped trying after a while. It must be that people in Chicago have a unique genetic makeup that allows them to make this style, in a few different manners too.

Do you like pie crust? Or do you like more of a dough crust? Or maybe cornmeal?

Do you like your cheese thick with a thin layer of tomato? Or more tomato and less cheese?

Do you like your tomato sauce spicy? Or aromatic and bursting with flavor? Or just there for the ride to carry your other toppings (misnomer, they're buried throughout).

Do you like yours 3" thick? Or a slim 1.5" thick?

So, in terms of artisanship and uniqueness, Chicago is in a league of its own. Sadly. I miss it ...

Oh yeah and I think it tastes better. Hence I vote for it.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:32 PM

230 posts, read 287,960 times
At the risk of getting flamed....this is an easy one. Chicago hands down. I've never quite understood NYC Pizza snobbery. A decent slice, but nothing too remarkable. Maybe I'm spoiled because It's always been pretty easy for me to find decent pizza in Philly and even Jersey. (New Yorkers who claim they can't find good pizza in Philly are just lazy. Go to a random corner in South Philly, and just start walking.) And no, this isn't a homer thing, because Chi pizza beats NYC, Philly, Jersey, and everyplace else in the states, at least in my book. Classic NYC slice....nothing wrong with it, I wouldn't toss it in the garbage....Chicago Deep Dish? Otherwordly.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:23 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,959,332 times
Native New Yorker living in Chicago for 5 months: I do not get the hype of Chicago Style Pizza. New York Pizza is more my taste.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:42 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,308,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Native New Yorker living in Chicago for 5 months: I do not get the hype of Chicago Style Pizza. New York Pizza is more my taste.
There are two types of Chicago style pizza.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:14 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
What a shock! NY'ers share this attitude almost no matter where they go.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:17 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,995,391 times
Recently, they have just opened up 2 more "Chicago Pizza" locations in the Indianapolis area (there's like 6 in the metro). Chicago style seems to be common here as well. I still think Union Jacks makes the best deep dish here but up in Chicago I would say Lou Malnati's.

If anyone travels along the PA Turnpike I have notice that there are UNO's at some of the travel plazas that serve Chicago deep dish instead of Sbarro's.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:47 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,959,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
There are two types of Chicago style pizza.
I know. I was talking about party cut thin crust.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,473,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Recently, they have just opened up 2 more "Chicago Pizza" locations in the Indianapolis area (there's like 6 in the metro). Chicago style seems to be common here as well. I still think Union Jacks makes the best deep dish here but up in Chicago I would say Lou Malnati's.

If anyone travels along the PA Turnpike I have notice that there are UNO's at some of the travel plazas that serve Chicago deep dish instead of Sbarro's.
I don't know which part of Indy you live in, but there's a Nancy's in Fishers. I haven't tried any from the Fishers location yet, but up here Nancy's is my favorite stuffed pizza. I just hope they have much better franchise quality control than Uno does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City