Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Capital of Pizza
New York 162 46.55%
Chicago 139 39.94%
other 47 13.51%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:57 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,576,179 times

Advertisements

new haven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 09:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,577,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
What a shock! NY'ers share this attitude almost no matter where they go.
I don't know about that. I prefer NY Style also, or the Chicago thin crust. Chicago Deep Dish/Stuffed is certainly not bad... but I really really love pizza, and the ny style is something I can eat more often. I also like New Haven, like piece in chicago

It's kind of like looking at sandwiches, a great simple turkey sub can be done extremely well. Chicago stuffed is like a dagwood, it's just TOO much.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,383,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
If anyone travels along the PA Turnpike I have notice that there are UNO's at some of the travel plazas that serve Chicago deep dish instead of Sbarro's.
There is a distinction between UNO's and Uno Pizzeria. The former has no relation to the latter. It is just a cleverly named pizza chain that claims to have roots in Chicago. Hardly. None of their pizza is Chicago style, IMO.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
There is a distinction between UNO's and Uno Pizzeria. The former has no relation to the latter. It is just a cleverly named pizza chain that claims to have roots in Chicago. Hardly. None of their pizza is Chicago style, IMO.
UNO's and Sbarro's show little to no resemblance to the real deal in either city. Anybody who says otherwise should be banned from commenting on pizza for the entirety of their lifetime.

It's like saying Panda Express is equivalent to stuff you'll get in Chinatowns, or taco bell tastes anything like a real taqueria. Just b/c they aren't that popular, and they saw one on the Pennsylvania interstate...okay, wow I will just stop.

Especially finding one off of a turnpike LOL.

eskercurve I also know what you mean in finding authentic Chicago style... You can get CLOSER to authentic NYC pizza than I've been able to find for Chicago style. Living out in CA there were several "chicago style" places that people said were great, I went there and they were a blatant abomination.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Detroit. It shows in the fact that many of the large chains in America (Howie's, Jets, Dominos, Little Caesers, etc.) come from Michigan! Michigan pioneered flavored crust and is home to more Top 20 brands than any other state at 1/5 of the list.
Those chains are absolutely TERRIBLE.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:24 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,910,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I don't know about that. I prefer NY Style also, or the Chicago thin crust. Chicago Deep Dish/Stuffed is certainly not bad... but I really really love pizza, and the ny style is something I can eat more often. I also like New Haven, like piece in chicago

It's kind of like looking at sandwiches, a great simple turkey sub can be done extremely well. Chicago stuffed is like a dagwood, it's just TOO much.
I'm not just talking about pizza...

Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 AM

965 posts, read 1,890,409 times
I prefer the NY style pizza. There's something about those giant slices that I like. The Chicago deep dish is too damn much and it's greasy. However, from what I've heard from native Chicagoans, they prefer the thinner-crust/square pizza style and leave the deep dish for tourists. Next time I go to Chicago, I'll have to try that version.

As for hot dogs, Chicago >>>> NYC hands down

Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 PM

7 posts, read 12,480 times
Pizza?
Best Pizza?
Come in Italy and you see!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:29 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,974,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo1 View Post
Pizza?
Best Pizza?
Come in Italy and you see!
Thanks for adding NOTHING to question at hand.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:44 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,304,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Thanks for adding NOTHING to question at hand.
Your post was unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City