Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHich city has the best freeway system of the 10 largest MSA's?
Dallas/Ft. Worth 142 18.88%
Houston 174 23.14%
LA 186 24.73%
NYC 36 4.79%
Chicago 60 7.98%
Philly 15 1.99%
DC 20 2.66%
Miami 12 1.60%
Atlanta 60 7.98%
Detroit 47 6.25%
Voters: 752. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 06:01 PM

101 posts, read 81,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Phoenix seems to have the most consistently modern and updated freeway network in its metro that I've experienced. They just completed the 202 South Mountain freeway so the 1-10/I-17 core can be easily bypassed.
Yep, I'd agree. Phoenix should be on this list. It's a great freeway system. The only downfall is constant freeway construction. As soon as a new freeway is completed, it's time to widen it, or put in a new interchange or overpass. Although, credit where credit is due .. they really try to keep up with the massive population explosion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 09:13 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,990,393 times
LA does have a lot of freeways, but only because of its population. When it comes to miles of freeway per capita it is actually towards the bottom of major U.S. metro areas.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:31 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,420,512 times
Default Probably Houston

Houston has very impressive freeways. It also has a $7.5 billion project coming up that will make it even better.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:15 PM

11,889 posts, read 8,134,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Nashville
Can I kindly ask how you came to this conclusion, sorry but I just cant help but chuckle alittle at this response.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:30 PM

9,721 posts, read 9,482,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Can I kindly ask how you came to this conclusion, sorry but I just cant help but chuckle alittle at this response.
Has to be a joke. Nashville is next to last place in its peers for freeway network. Austin being last.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Has to be a joke. Nashville is next to last place in its peers for freeway network. Austin being last.
It's kinda improving in Austin. Alittle anyway. They just finished another section of 183 and another section of SH45 south. But it still has a long way to go. I personally am more so hoping they install transit and promote higher density growth rather than sprawl in Austin. These tollroads arent cheap.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:50 PM

9,721 posts, read 9,482,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It's kinda improving in Austin. Alittle anyway. They just finished another section of 183 and another section of SH45 south. But it still has a long way to go. I personally am more so hoping they install transit and promote higher density growth rather than sprawl in Austin. These tollroads arent cheap.
They are banned here. I440 is a few months from being completed. Still no fixes for bottlenecks though...Nashville has a very dangerous and poorly designed road network.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:10 AM

457 posts, read 907,505 times
I voted DFW. Not sure, but I doubt any metro has spent more on its freeway system since this thread was started than the DFW area. I moved away from Dallas in 2009, and every time I return to visit family, I am amazed by how many new and rebuilt roads have been completed or are under construction.

On the other hand, there is Atlanta. Since moving to Atlanta about 10 months ago, I have blown-out two tires and cracked an AMG wheel on the crappy freeways here. I'm not talking pot holes, I'm talking craters and literal gaps in the freeway. 285 from Smyrna to East Point is finally getting repaired, but while the patches are better than craters, they are embarrassingly rough.

The sad part is that Georgia overall, based on my perception, has very good roads. Just not in Atlanta.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
I voted DFW. Not sure, but I doubt any metro has spent more on its freeway system since this thread was started than the DFW area. I moved away from Dallas in 2009, and every time I return to visit family, I am amazed by how many new and rebuilt roads have been completed or are under construction.

On the other hand, there is Atlanta. Since moving to Atlanta about 10 months ago, I have blown-out two tires and cracked an AMG wheel on the crappy freeways here. I'm not talking pot holes, I'm talking craters and literal gaps in the freeway. 285 from Smyrna to East Point is finally getting repaired, but while the patches are better than craters, they are embarrassingly rough.

The sad part is that Georgia overall, based on my perception, has very good roads. Just not in Atlanta.
100% agree at the bolded. Georgia's state highways are very nice and their rural interstates are as well.

I however was also a victim of a crater on GA-316 heading East right after the SR120 interchange where they pavement turns from Granite to Concrete. There was a huge pothole there and it took out my right front steer tire. It stayed there for a long time before it was repaired.

The roads in the metro arent exactly terrible in terms of quality. Note this is coming from having driven in Chicago and New York.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:55 AM

264 posts, read 252,916 times
Dallas Ft. Worth and Houston have the best freeway networks in relation to population. Between these two I think DFW wins by a small margin because of the unique construction they have been doing. TEXpress on I-635 is pretty cool and the overall way they have built tollways, interchanges in general makes for an overall efficient system. Houston being stack city and also decent built tollways makes it not far behind.

Phoenix has an underrated system. The roads are nicely paved.

Worst is Austin hands down. What an embarrassment but it's hard to keep up with the growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City