Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHich city has the best freeway system of the 10 largest MSA's?
Dallas/Ft. Worth 142 18.88%
Houston 174 23.14%
LA 186 24.73%
NYC 36 4.79%
Chicago 60 7.98%
Philly 15 1.99%
DC 20 2.66%
Miami 12 1.60%
Atlanta 60 7.98%
Detroit 47 6.25%
Voters: 752. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 08:21 AM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
Dallas Ft. Worth and Houston have the best freeway networks in relation to population. Between these two I think DFW wins by a small margin because of the unique construction they have been doing. TEXpress on I-635 is pretty cool and the overall way they have built tollways, interchanges in general makes for an overall efficient system. Houston being stack city and also decent built tollways makes it not far behind.

Phoenix has an underrated system. The roads are nicely paved.

Worst is Austin hands down. What an embarrassment but it's hard to keep up with the growth.
Eh. They could have if they wanted to but Austin purposefully chose to neglect it in efforts to keep the place from growing but it grew anyway and they were left underhanded in infrastructure.

I personally havent really have much an issue with the traffic here but I almost never take I-35 and I dont commute to Downtown. Generally the toll roads are almost always free moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 08:35 AM

4,536 posts, read 5,103,665 times
I refuse to vote on this, because the words 'best' and 'freeway system' don't go together... The concept is counter-intuitive.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I refuse to vote on this, because the words 'best' and 'freeway system' don't go together... The concept is counter-intuitive.
I think freeways are necessary, I think the problem lies when we make everything freeway dependent and not focus on other modes of transportation, and more importantly, push them.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:53 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I think freeways are necessary, I think the problem lies when we make everything freeway dependent and not focus on other modes of transportation, and more importantly, push them.
Yeah freeways are absolutely necessary. Even in areas with high transit usage (aka Europe), they still have plenty of freeways crossing over the landscape. You need multiple modes of transit/travel in order to be the most efficient.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:14 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
For a small city, I nominate Greensboro, NC.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:17 AM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Austin's lack of freeways is a blessing IMO. Houston and Dallas are nearby if suburban sprawl is appealing. What Austin does need is more mass transit.

Houston and Dallas both have amazing freeway systems btw. They are my answer to this question.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:35 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
Dallas Ft. Worth and Houston have the best freeway networks in relation to population.
If you're going by that then imo it has to be Kansas City. The amount of freeways they have there is straight up obsessive....but it works. KC has the most freeway lanes per capita for any metro over 1 million. Looking at it that way, Houston comes 3rd and DFW 11th. Kansas City's freeway network is what something like Atlanta's should look like.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:48 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Austin's lack of freeways is a blessing IMO. Houston and Dallas are nearby if suburban sprawl is appealing. What Austin does need is more mass transit.

Houston and Dallas both have amazing freeway systems btw. They are my answer to this question.
Yet Austin has plenty of suburban sprawl itself, from Kyle to Georgetown to Lakeway and within the city itself. The lack of freeways is a curse, not a blessing, primarily because good transit doesn't exist either.

Ideally you'd have a good mix of both. Austin has neither unfortunately.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Yet Austin has plenty of suburban sprawl itself, from Kyle to Georgetown to Lakeway and within the city itself. The lack of freeways is a curse, not a blessing, primarily because good transit doesn't exist either.

Ideally you'd have a good mix of both. Austin has neither unfortunately.
Ontop of this, I dont get where people are getting that Austin doesnt have freeways. It has plenty of them for a city its size, more so tollways... It has Loop 1 (MoPac), Hwy 45, Hwy 130, U.S. 183, U.S. 290, I-35, Hwy 71, and Loop 360 is slated to eventually become one as well. The only place that is underserved by them are the western suburbs because of the hills and Colorado river. Now it doesnt have alot of THRU freeways, or basically freeways that will take you outside the metro area, but it does have plenty of suburban highways. I-35, and 130 are the only thru freeways. 71 and 290 also leave but. Not as freeways. The real issue is I-35 (the major thru highway) hasnt been upgraded. I-35 and MoPac are the only freeways that go Downtown. I-35 is also in need of serious upgrade.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:27 AM

264 posts, read 250,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
If you're going by that then imo it has to be Kansas City. The amount of freeways they have there is straight up obsessive....but it works. KC has the most freeway lanes per capita for any metro over 1 million. Looking at it that way, Houston comes 3rd and DFW 11th. Kansas City's freeway network is what something like Atlanta's should look like.
Sorry I kind of was referring to the larger systems. Of course KC has a great system for its size. You can get anywhere with little delay. I don’t associate it with best because there is really nothing special about the freeways here. There is just a lot of them. Kind of like LA on a much smaller scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City