Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 02:23 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,631,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You can't lump TX into that list. A large part of TX isn't southern.
But the largest part of it is. I dont see a problem at all with being lumped into with most of those states. Historically and culturally, it is just the truth and a proud one at that. It is MUCH more accurate than being lumped with New Mexico/Arizona...or Colorado/Wyoming...or Kansas/Nebraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 06:18 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,895,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaYankee View Post
I have this arugement all the time...
but I really do not consider Virginia, Delaware, or Maryland as part of the "south". I consider those 3 states as a part of the "Mid-Atlantic".
Virginia is Southern. Richmond is undeniably Southern (capital of the Confederacy anyone?). The only part of the state I would classify as "mid-Atlantic" is NoVa, and that constitutes a small portion of the state geographically speaking.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 PM

41 posts, read 141,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaYankee View Post
I have this arugement all the time...
but I really do not consider Virginia, Delaware, or Maryland as part of the "south". I consider those 3 states as a part of the "Mid-Atlantic".

Especially when you start driving around the Williamsburg and Richmond areas of Virginia, it looks just as it would look in Pennysylvania or Upstate New York.

Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, North & South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Northern Florida, Louisiana, and Texas have to be the most southern states/areas though... ugh, I really just do not like the south.
The topography and people just get on my nerves...

You said "ugh, I really just do not like the south." and your name is VirginiaYankee?

Now you got me wondering....I’m guessing you won’t accept that the state you live in is typically considered southern?

Robert E Lee was a Virginian …..Two of the confederate capitals are in Virginia …..Hello

Old 08-29-2009, 12:54 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,412,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMountainMan View Post
You said "ugh, I really just do not like the south." and your name is VirginiaYankee?

Now you got me wondering....I’m guessing you won’t accept that the state you live in is typically considered southern?

Robert E Lee was a Virginian …..Two of the confederate capitals are in Virginia …..Hello
I agree. Virginia is definitely a Southern state. Making an argument that it isn't is pretty tough. It was pro-slavery, it seceded from the Union, southern accents and southern culture and demographics dominate the state to this day. Only Northern Virginia, which is a very tiny portion of the state as a whole, doesn't fit the definition of southern. I would say that Virginia is a Southern state with Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern influences. But I agree..Delaware and Maryland are Mid-Atlantic states. The Southern states are Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. All of these states are dominated by Southern speech patterns, southern culture, and southern-type demographics.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 AM

73 posts, read 174,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat2k View Post
in terms of 'most southern' to 'least southern?' In terms of most extreme accents, fewest transplants, most Southern culture, cuisine, landscape, etc. Rank them on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being low and 10 being high. Here are the choices

Kentucky
Virginia
Tennessee
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
Oklahoma
Texas
Louisiana
Florida (North of Orlando)

I haven't visited all of these, and don't know a whole lot about most of them [except SC, GA, and NC really] so I'm not really qualified to answer, but was curious about this.
Have fun!!!
where is arkansas

Old 02-10-2010, 01:54 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,521,995 times
Actually from what I have seen, Missouri is an odd case and in some ways like Texas, a culture by itself in being mixed. The history of Missouri is that it was established as a Southern state, after the Civil War decided to be a Midwestern state. (though what most people forget, still established Jim Crow laws but quietly dumped them in the 1950's making many people now not know it ever happened) Though I think recently it might be starting to become more Southern again diverging from the Midwest. (example demograhically different from all Midwestern states, especially % of evangelicals, and the 2008 presidental election *also showing how transplants are affecting politics in the South* Also can't count out that Missouri does have a barbecue tradition that is not grilling burgers and hot dogs that most Midwesterners call barbecue.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,726,762 times
Mississippi--11/10
Alabama--10/10
Louisiana--9.5/10
South Carolina--9/10
Tennessee--9/10
Georgia--8.5/10
Texas--8.5/10
Kentucky--8/10
North Carolina--8/10
Virginia--7/10
Arkansas--7/10
North Florida--6/10
Oklahoma--5/10
Missouri--3/10
South Florida--1/10

The folllowing states are part of the Mid-Atlantic portion of the Northeast and aren't generally considered Southern, a position I agree with, but for the sake of completeness and historical Southern influences I'll include them:

West Virginia--4/10
Delaware--1/10
Maryland--1/10
Washington D.C.--0.1/10

Old 02-12-2010, 09:23 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,583,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I would say that Florida is definely sothern stae.Its only in teh sotuhern part of florida where their are not amny native flordians that it seem other. But the culutre is mostly and ceretainly the food.
really? and this Floridian begs to differ. Perhaps northern Florida is "southern" but as for the rest of the state only in some certain pockets and small towns is "southern" culture prevalent. It's almost an anomaly and to make it clear what you call southerners in Florida we call them hicks & rednecks here. I'm not trying to offend anyone but that is the label used here to describe them. Does the term "Redneck Riviera" to describe the panhandle ring a bell? Lower Alabama?

Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,261,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Mississippi--11/10
Alabama--10/10
Louisiana--9.5/10
South Carolina--9/10
Tennessee--9/10
Georgia--8.5/10
Texas--8.5/10
Kentucky--8/10
North Carolina--8/10
Virginia--7/10
Arkansas--7/10
North Florida--6/10
Oklahoma--5/10
Missouri--3/10
South Florida--1/10

The folllowing states are part of the Mid-Atlantic portion of the Northeast and aren't generally considered Southern, a position I agree with, but for the sake of completeness and historical Southern influences I'll include them:

West Virginia--4/10
Delaware--1/10
Maryland--1/10
Washington D.C.--0.1/10
I disagree with your list completely. Texas and Georgia equally southern???

Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 PM

401 posts, read 560,072 times
I'll start with least southern:
Oklahoma
North Carolina
Virginia
Florida
Kentucky
Texas
Tennessee
Georgia
South Carolina
Louisiana
Alabama
Mississippi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City