Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I always love these "revised" threads! LOL

Anyway, since this has come back into being, I am just going to "copy and paste" what I originally wrote on the subject a year or two back. Here it is...with some edits and re-arrangements which have come about over the time of learning more and more about each state...

Very interesting topic, ranking states according to how one perceives them as "Southern." Here is my own (for the two cents it might be worth! LOL), list. I might mention that, like a previous poster, I am expanding the originally suggested list of states, out to those defined as "South" by the U.S. Census Bureau, as well as Missouri (which in an historical context, has at least SOME claim to being Southern

From least to most, along with my own personal thoughts and opinions:

17. Delaware - (nothing Southern about it other than Census definition)

16. Maryland - (a few Southern aspects, but Census definition is main reason it can be counted as part of the South)

15. Missouri - (southern parts of Missouri have some characterisitcs of the "Mountain South", but for the most part it is a midwestern state)

The above are the states I would consider, to one degree or another, the "least Southern" of all. Next group:

As to the players who have earned the right to suit up?

14. West Virginia - Mountain South that blends with the northern appalachian region of Pennsylvania. In the minds of many, it not having been a Confederate state limits its status as Southern. Too, that a slight majority of residents do not think of the state as Southern and themselves as Southerners. At the same time, my friend Bobilee has done a great job of pointing out that West Virginia has gotten a "raw deal" in this regard. At the very least, no one could consider WV as "yankee"

13. Oklahoma - Strong Southern characteristics generally south of Oklahoma City and east of Tulsa due to influence of Texas and Arkansas settlers. It gets more "midwest" north and west of the line, but the dominant influence is Southern (just google the state meal! LOL). The issue with Oklahoma is that it didnt become a state until the 20th Century. At the same time, the "Indians" of the territory very much allied with the Confederacy. The state is, per capita, a bastion of the Southern Baptist church....

12: Florida -- Historically? Unquestionably Southern. And north of Orlando, is still very much so. Not only Southern, but Deep South Southern. However, the decades long outside migration has considerably diluted a good part of the state's earlier character (very sad).

Now, then, the "second string...in no real order. Just depends:

11. Kentucky - (Had Kentucky truly joined the Confederacy, its status as a Southern state today would probably not be the subject of much debate. On the other hand, mint julips and fried chicken are a state icon, and it is said it indeed DID "join the Confederacy after the War", as evidenced by the fact that it observes a Confederate holiday and statues in memory of the CSA are numerous.)

10. Virginia - (It is hard to think of the birthplace of Confederate heroes such as Robert E. Lee, and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson (to just name the permier), and that the capital of the Confederacy was in Richmond, as being anything BUT Southern. Yet, sadly, northern migration into the northern part of the state has had an impact.)

9. Texas - (As a native Texan, I realize the Lone Star State is a story unto itself. East Texas is where the Deep South begins, and even most of west Texas is influenced and formed by the South. Texas -- as a whole -- is emphatically not the West and or Southwest...in the sense of being grouped with a Colorado or New Mexico. The cultural impact was and remains, very Southern. Still, many things, not of the least of which are demographic trends in terms of migration (legal or otherwise) have diluted Texas, overall, as being considered a totally Southern state).

Again, the states above (the "second team" so to speak! LOL) are USUALLY considered Southern, and the "order" can be re-arranged depending on perspective). Now, for the "starting" lineup! *grins*

8. Arkansas - ( An Upper South state that didn't secede until after Ft. Sumter, but unquestionably Southern, even if a combination of Deep and Mountain South, in character)

7. North Carolina (Upper South that didn't secede until after Ft. Sumter, yet had an absolute history of devotion to the Confederacy when it did. Some parts more Southern than others, but pork BBQ for sure secures its status)

6. Tennessee (The Volunteer state was another one which was reluctant to secede, initially. But anyone who has ever vistited there, especially in Memphis and certain other parts, don't question it being Southern).

5. Louisiana (the northern part of the state is Deep South. The reason I rank it #5 is that there is a heavy Catholic and French Cajun influence in the southern part which, while Southern in its pure way, is not typical of the true Deep South).

4. South Carolina - (The first state to secede, and with the most support within. The ONLY reason it might be ranked as not the "most Southern" is the Colonial influence and its own certain brand of independence. At the same time, South Carolina and the states to follow, are those which most, admirably [IMHO], proudly and without qualm, proclaim their "Southerness")

3. Georgia - Gone With the Wind. The Empire State of The South, epitome of the "Southern accent". ONLY problem is Atlanta nowdays!

2. Alabama - Azaleas, plantations, DEEP Deep South thru and thru. Literally, in all ways, the geographical "Heart of Dixie" whether or not one defines "The South" by the Old Confederacy, or the commonly thought of Deep South states [South Carolina thru Louisiana]. Only reason it is second is that the northern part has more Upper South traits which slightly distinguish it from (drum roll, please)..the winner!

1. Mississippi - (I might mention that this is my own ancestral state, but I dont think that fact influences my opinion. Mississippi combines all things commonly considered "Southern" with very few dilutions at all).
Excellent ranking. I completely agree. I also understand your point regarding Texas's regional identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 12:20 AM

11 posts, read 15,326 times
My ranking from MOST to least:

SOUTH:

1. Mississippi and Alabama are tied - Deep South
2. Louisiana - Deep South
3. Georgia - Deep South
4. South Carolina - Deep South
5. Tennessee
6. Virginia
7. North Carolina
8. Texas(the east side would be either 4 or 5 if ranked alone)
9. Florida(panhandle would be either 4 or 5 if ranked alone)
10. Arkansas

Oklahoma, Kentucky, and West Virginia may have some Southern-ness to them, but I wouldn't really consider them true, pure, Southern states. They are not states you automatically think of when you think of South.

For Delaware, Missouri and Maryland to be included in this thread is just plain out RIDICULOUS!!! They're all yankees to me!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:45 AM

128 posts, read 298,604 times
I'm not sure what the criteria for ranking Southerness is. Most pro-secession during the War? Hottest summers? Most cotton and/ or tobacco grown? States with the largest black populations? The food (fried chicken, catfish, fried oakra)? Religiousity? Most evangelical? Best looking Southern belles?

Well, how would one rank the Northeastern states? By what criteria? Most pro-Union during the Civil War? Most brown leaves in Autumn? Whitest? Largest number of Unitarians or Congregationalists? Highest percentage of Irish-Catholic immigrants? Most liberal?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,497,378 times
Based on what comes to my mind when I think stereotypical southern culture.

MOST
12. Georgia -> When think of old south, confederacy, etc. I think of GA.
11. Alabama -> The "Heart of Dixie", right?
10. South Carolina -> Not sure, but I assume that it's similar to GA.
09. North Carolina -> Things start getting twangy, but that same southern charm and values exist.
08. Tennessee -> 2/3 of the state have the twanginess going, with the other 1/3 going with the MS/TX vibe.
07. Kentucky -> I have no idea. Just seems like it would have gone with NC and eastern TN.
06. Mississippi -> People claim that MS is the archetype of "the South", but MS is more like TX and LA than GA and AL. It just happens to have all of the negative stereotypes of the south.
05. Virginia -> Good portion of it is southern, then you have NoVA.
04. Florida -> Most of the state is southern.
03. Texas -> The eastern half is definitely southern with a little Midwest and Cajun mixed into some parts.
02. Louisiana -> The northern half is like MS or East TX. The majority of the state isn't like anything in the south period.
01. Oklahoma -> ??? I really don't have a clue.
LEAST

what happened to Arkansas?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:14 PM

128 posts, read 298,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Based on what comes to my mind when I think stereotypical southern culture.

MOST
12. Georgia -> When think of old south, confederacy, etc. I think of GA.
11. Alabama -> The "Heart of Dixie", right?
10. South Carolina -> Not sure, but I assume that it's similar to GA.
09. North Carolina -> Things start getting twangy, but that same southern charm and values exist.
08. Tennessee -> 2/3 of the state have the twanginess going, with the other 1/3 going with the MS/TX vibe.
07. Kentucky -> I have no idea. Just seems like it would have gone with NC and eastern TN.
06. Mississippi -> People claim that MS is the archetype of "the South", but MS is more like TX and LA than GA and AL. It just happens to have all of the negative stereotypes of the south.
05. Virginia -> Good portion of it is southern, then you have NoVA.
04. Florida -> Most of the state is southern.
03. Texas -> The eastern half is definitely southern with a little Midwest and Cajun mixed into some parts.
02. Louisiana -> The northern half is like MS or East TX. The majority of the state isn't like anything in the south period.
01. Oklahoma -> ??? I really don't have a clue.
LEAST

what happened to Arkansas?
Mississippi is more like Texas and Louisiana than Alabama and Georgia? Not sure about that. Mississippi certainly shares more in common with Alabama than Louisiana. Mississippi and Alabama are both largely evangelical and Southern Baptist whereas Louisiana has a big churck of Catholics. No Bayou or cajun culture in Ms. or Bama. No Vodoo. No Sin City stuff. (actually Bama has a tiny bit of this stuff in Mobile, where Mardi Gras is celebrated, unlike Ms. which has none of it) Northern LA is fairly similar to both Bama and Ms.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,497,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanburen81 View Post
Mississippi is more like Texas and Louisiana than Alabama and Georgia? Not sure about that. Mississippi certainly shares more in common with Alabama than Louisiana. Mississippi and Alabama are both largely evangelical and Southern Baptist whereas Louisiana has a big churck of Catholics. No Bayou or cajun culture in Ms. or Bama. No Vodoo. No Sin City stuff. (actually Bama has a tiny bit of this stuff in Mobile, where Mardi Gras is celebrated, unlike Ms. which has none of it) Northern LA is fairly similar to both Bama and Ms.
Mississippi is more like Northern LA, Western TN, and Eastern TX then it is like Alabama. Only the eastern and coastal MS are more like AL, IMO anyway.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnerd666 View Post
My ranking from MOST to least:

SOUTH:

1. Mississippi and Alabama are tied - Deep South
2. Louisiana - Deep South
3. Georgia - Deep South
4. South Carolina - Deep South
5. Tennessee
6. Virginia
7. North Carolina
8. Texas(the east side would be either 4 or 5 if ranked alone)
9. Florida(panhandle would be either 4 or 5 if ranked alone)
10. Arkansas

Oklahoma, Kentucky, and West Virginia may have some Southern-ness to them, but I wouldn't really consider them true, pure, Southern states. They are not states you automatically think of when you think of South.

For Delaware, Missouri and Maryland to be included in this thread is just plain out RIDICULOUS!!! They're all yankees to me!
Nice list but Arkansas is far above Texas and Florida and I would switch Virginia and North Carolina.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,194,797 times
To give a pretty accurate answer about how southern Florida is, everything north of Palm beach County to the east and Naples to the west still has a decent amount of southern culture. Even Tampa Bay Area and Orlando Area still have some southerness to them in general.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,019,980 times
Only parts of Texas have a true "Southern" feel, the Piney Woods region of East/Southeast Texas. The rest of Texas is very much Western/Southwestern in look & feel. Dallas also has a sorta Midwestern-plains states look to it because its classified as prairie grass land.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:19 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,518,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I agree. Virginia is definitely a Southern state. Making an argument that it isn't is pretty tough. It was pro-slavery, it seceded from the Union, southern accents and southern culture and demographics dominate the state to this day. Only Northern Virginia, which is a very tiny portion of the state as a whole, doesn't fit the definition of southern. I would say that Virginia is a Southern state with Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern influences. But I agree..Delaware and Maryland are Mid-Atlantic states. The Southern states are Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. All of these states are dominated by Southern speech patterns, southern culture, and southern-type demographics.
>>>>>
The Southern states are Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. All of these states are dominated by Southern speech patterns, southern culture, and southern-type demographics
<<<<<

Tis truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City