Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you find more appealing?
Indianapolis 35 38.46%
Columbus 43 47.25%
Not Sure 13 14.29%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Wrong.
Indianapolis has the better economy #1
#2 location is subjective.
Indianapolis is only 3 hours away from Chicago/2 hours from Cincy/4 hours from St Louis/5 hours from Detroit/5 hours to Milwaukee/Louisville is only 2.5 hours away.
So Sure Columbus has cleveland and Cincy but Indy has the better location to other cities and Lake Michigan.
What makes Indianapolis the better economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 02:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,281,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What makes Indianapolis the better economy?
It's in Indiana duh

Don't you know that Greg Ballard is our mayor and he has paved our streets in gold.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
It's in Indiana duh
What.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What.
I was being sarca........

............nevermind.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I was being sarca........

............nevermind.
What?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 PM

372 posts, read 465,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Wrong.
Indianapolis has the better economy #1
#2 location is subjective.
Indianapolis is only 3 hours away from Chicago/2 hours from Cincy/4 hours from St Louis/5 hours from Detroit/5 hours to Milwaukee/Louisville is only 2.5 hours away.
So Sure Columbus has cleveland and Cincy but Indy has the better location to other cities and Lake Michigan.
Wrong!

Columbus' economy is significantly better than Indianapolis, and much more diverse. Take the two biggest companies in each city.

Cardinal Health in Columbus:
21st largest company in the country

Wellpoint in Indianapolis:
45th largest company in the country

Do your research on companies in Columbus. They range from insurance companies, banks, fashion, meds and eds, and research. Check out Battelle..., maybe Nationwide rings a bell, or Abercrombie, Victoria's Secret... you know, the Limited Brands. Having one of North America's largest universities in your city is a big plus. I could get a new condo in a new highrise in the Arena District in downtown Columbus and look north towards the University District and see a billion dollar new Wexner Medical Center highrise taking shape. Oh wait, what about the $700 million new Nationwide Children's hospital that was just completed... I could go on.

Columbus' unemployment rate is lower than Indianapolis:

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Columbus at 5.7% to Indy's 7.1%... big difference.

Columbus also has created a heck of a lot more jobs than Indianapolis.

Location may be subjective, but Columbus' is a lot better. They are how many hours closer to the east coast? Why would Indianapolis want to be close to Chicago... haven't you heard it's a war zone? Corrupt! That's a negative in the eyes of many.

You mention Lake Michigan. The Dunes area is nice, but a 1/4 of Indiana's lakefront is unattractive industry. In Columbus, one can head up to Lake Erie and enjoy the world's best theme park for like 12 years in a row now, cruise around Port Clinton, Marblehead, and Sandusky bay, then catch a ferry and head out to the islands and get your drink on.

These are NOT subjective as they are random Google images of the following which are all closer to Columbus than Hoosier National Forest is to Indianapolis. Shawnee State Forest is about the same distance to Columbus as Hoosier is to Indianapolis.

Hocking Hills:

hocking hills - Google Search

Shawnee State Forest:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...CMa40AHQj4CQBQ

Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,560,145 times
I have visited both of these cities, circa the summer of 2010. I seem to favor Indianapolis a bit more in this case.

The airport on the west side is GORGEOUS! I heard it cost about $1 billion to build that whole thing? It sure looked like it! Outside of hotel shuttles, the airport had two options with the IndyGO busses: 1- The local Washington Street route and 2- a $7 express bus which makes its first stop outside of Lucas Oil Stadium. How nice! I took that express bus to said stadium. After looking around there, I walked over to the then-Conseco Fieldhouse, up to the circle with the huge Soldiers and Sailors monument and the towards the state capitol grounds. After lunch, I attended a game at Victory Field, home of the Indians (AAA-level Pittsburgh Pirates) of the International League.

The only knocks on Indianapolis? (At least the parts of it I saw...) I couldn't find any service going up to Speedway and the racetrack. That's the single biggest attraction I didn't get to. Also, the construction on I-74/I-465 was nerve wracking. My hotel was just off of that loop, with a Speedway convenience store and a Bob Evan's restaurant nearby.

As for Columbus, I got to their downtown with little trouble. One bus from the airport that had me connect on Ohio Route 16. I want to say East Broad Street? I went by the state capitol, the studio of WCMH-TV (NBC) channel 4 and the box office of Nationwide Arena. I also stopped by Huntington Bank Ballpark. However, the Clippers were on the road that day. The HUGE negative for Columbus was the fact there was a bike race of some sorts that given Sunday. I couldn't remember where to board the bus back to the airport area. I ended up cabbing it back to my hotel, with a Speedway (again!) and a Wendy's steps away.

Before anybody gives me flack with these cities, I want to state that it was first time ever in either place. I was already a bit nervous being hundreds of miles away from home, by myself.

Lastly, here's what I saw with said trips. The first album is Columbus and the second album is Indianapolis:

(Columbus, OH - 7/31 to 8/2/2010) Columbus, OH - 7/31 to 8/2/2010 - Page - 1 - KL71's albums on SnapGalaxy
AND
(Indianapolis, IN - 8/21 to 8/24/2010) Indianapolis - 8/21 to 8/24/2010 - Page - 1 - KL71's albums on SnapGalaxy

Old 11-08-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
Wrong!

Columbus' economy is significantly better than Indianapolis, and much more diverse. Take the two biggest companies in each city.

Cardinal Health in Columbus:
21st largest company in the country

Wellpoint in Indianapolis:
45th largest company in the country

Do your research on companies in Columbus. They range from insurance companies, banks, fashion, meds and eds, and research. Check out Battelle..., maybe Nationwide rings a bell, or Abercrombie, Victoria's Secret... you know, the Limited Brands. Having one of North America's largest universities in your city is a big plus. I could get a new condo in a new highrise in the Arena District in downtown Columbus and look north towards the University District and see a billion dollar new Wexner Medical Center highrise taking shape. Oh wait, what about the $700 million new Nationwide Children's hospital that was just completed... I could go on.

Columbus' unemployment rate is lower than Indianapolis:

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Columbus at 5.7% to Indy's 7.1%... big difference.

Columbus also has created a heck of a lot more jobs than Indianapolis.

Location may be subjective, but Columbus' is a lot better. They are how many hours closer to the east coast? Why would Indianapolis want to be close to Chicago... haven't you heard it's a war zone? Corrupt! That's a negative in the eyes of many.

You mention Lake Michigan. The Dunes area is nice, but a 1/4 of Indiana's lakefront is unattractive industry. In Columbus, one can head up to Lake Erie and enjoy the world's best theme park for like 12 years in a row now, cruise around Port Clinton, Marblehead, and Sandusky bay, then catch a ferry and head out to the islands and get your drink on.

These are NOT subjective as they are random Google images of the following which are all closer to Columbus than Hoosier National Forest is to Indianapolis. Shawnee State Forest is about the same distance to Columbus as Hoosier is to Indianapolis.

Hocking Hills:

hocking hills - Google Search

Shawnee State Forest:

shawnee state park ohio - Google Search
Indianapolis is closer to Chicago than Columbus is to the east coast. I'll take Indianapolis if that is an important criteria.

Brown County State Park and Nashville, IN is only about 10 miles further from Indianapolis than Hocking Hills from Columbus, OH. You are splitting hairs. If you go further out, Clifty Falls is a nice place to spend a weekend as well.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...CM382gX-qoHoCA

https://www.google.com/search?q=clif...KcGj2QWN-ID4CA

If staring at a hospital being built is your thing, you can watch the new Wishard go up by IUPUI. You could look south and watch the CityWay development take shape, or the Virginia Ave corridor.

Of course, Indianapolis and Columbus both have large areas that look like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2903+...KYVFr1oG2tD_nQ

and this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2803+...JsWFvN84TGBJ6w

Old 11-08-2012, 04:56 PM

372 posts, read 465,836 times
Quote:
Indianapolis is closer to Chicago than Columbus is to the east coast. I'll take Indianapolis if that is an important criteria.

Brown County State Park and Nashville, IN is only about 10 miles further from Indianapolis than Hocking Hills from Columbus, OH. You are splitting hairs. If you go further out, Clifty Falls is a nice place to spend a weekend as well.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...CM382gX-qoHoCA

https://www.google.com/search?q=clif...KcGj2QWN-ID4CA

If staring at a hospital being built is your thing, you can watch the new Wishard go up by IUPUI. You could look south and watch the CityWay development take shape, or the Virginia Ave corridor.

Of course, Indianapolis and Columbus both have large areas that look like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2903+...KYVFr1oG2tD_nQ

and this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2803+...JsWFvN84TGBJ6w

But why would you want to be so close to Chicago? Haven't you heard on C-D how dangerous it is, and all their citizens lose their jobs? Either way, Columbus is closer and well connected to the east coast, more so than Indianapolis. Columbus is closer to more major cities in a shorter distance than Indianapolis, so that point is moot. Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh. Indianapolis has no other major city in the state of Indiana, even if it is close to border cities like Louisville and Chicago. But how many people leave Indianapolis to go on day trips to Milwaukee or Detroit, other cities that were listed?

I am not splitting hairs; I mentioned a state park that was very well known like Hoosier National Forest (if not more well known), but much closer to the city. Was Hoosier National Forest not mentioned? I believe it was. That is when I also stated that Shawnee State Park was about the same distance from Columbus as Hoosier is from Indianapolis. I can also name other state parks within about the same distance from Columbus as Brown State Park is to Indy. Tar Hollow State Forest and the Wayne National Forest, as well as Dillion State Park and Alum Creek State Park near Delaware. Not to mention (if you want to talk lakes) the several lakes in the Appalachian foothills like Salt Fork Lake, Senecaville Lake, Tappan Lake, and Buckeye Lake.

You like to watch hospitals go up? It was made mention of due to OSU and Nationwide. How does IUPUI compare to the Wexner medical center and Nationwide Children's? Seems like an interesting comparison eh? Now you mention urban development? Good for CityWay, but I could also watch the new Hilton and Nationwide offices rise in the Arena District, or the new Pizzuti hotel rise in the Short North. Maybe watch Grandview Yard in Grandview Heights... or what about the complete new construction of the Scioto riverfront from OSU to connect to the new downtown Scioto Mile park in the Riversouth District.

I saw you post those Google streetview images in another thread. Where's ones of Indianapolis for comparison sake? I still will take Columbus over Indianapolis from a neighborhood point of view, and Columbus' architecture over Indianapolis. Columbus has many more vibrant city neighborhoods than Indianapolis. Overall, Columbus just has a bit more of a lively feel to it on a city-wide level.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRosado View Post
But why would you want to be so close to Chicago? Haven't you heard on C-D how dangerous it is, and all their citizens lose their jobs? Either way, Columbus is closer and well connected to the east coast, more so than Indianapolis. Columbus is closer to more major cities in a shorter distance than Indianapolis, so that point is moot. Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh. Indianapolis has no other major city in the state of Indiana, even if it is close to border cities like Louisville and Chicago. But how many people leave Indianapolis to go on day trips to Milwaukee or Detroit, other cities that were listed?

I am not splitting hairs; I mentioned a state park that was very well known like Hoosier National Forest (if not more well known), but much closer to the city. Was Hoosier National Forest not mentioned? I believe it was. That is when I also stated that Shawnee State Park was about the same distance from Columbus as Hoosier is from Indianapolis. I can also name other state parks within about the same distance from Columbus as Brown State Park is to Indy. Tar Hollow State Forest and the Wayne National Forest, as well as Dillion State Park and Alum Creek State Park near Delaware. Not to mention (if you want to talk lakes) the several lakes in the Appalachian foothills like Salt Fork Lake, Senecaville Lake, Tappan Lake, and Buckeye Lake.

You like to watch hospitals go up? It was made mention of due to OSU and Nationwide. How does IUPUI compare to the Wexner medical center and Nationwide Children's? Seems like an interesting comparison eh? Now you mention urban development? Good for CityWay, but I could also watch the new Hilton and Nationwide offices rise in the Arena District, or the new Pizzuti hotel rise in the Short North. Maybe watch Grandview Yard in Grandview Heights... or what about the complete new construction of the Scioto riverfront from OSU to connect to the new downtown Scioto Mile park in the Riversouth District.

I saw you post those Google streetview images in another thread. Where's ones of Indianapolis for comparison sake? I still will take Columbus over Indianapolis from a neighborhood point of view, and Columbus' architecture over Indianapolis. Columbus has many more vibrant city neighborhoods than Indianapolis. Overall, Columbus just has a bit more of a lively feel to it on a city-wide level.
Speaking for myself, I visit Detroit on occasion and Milwaukee is one of my favorite cities in the Midwest. Milwaukee is criminally underrated. And, for those wondering, downtown Columbus to downtown Cincinnati is 107 miles. Indy to Cincy? 112 miles. Cleveland? Sorry, don't care. Pittsburgh? Nice, but I prefer Chicago and Milwaukee. I am aware of some of the mean things people say about Chicago. Here's the thing. I've been to Chicago, many times. I've somehow managed to survive riding the train, bus, and walking through the city. Shocking, I know. See, I have the ability to think for myself, and just because some bumpkins on a forum think Chicago is scary, doesn't make it scary.

I too, can rattle off a list of state parks and lakes that are near Indianapolis.

I can't watch a new world class hotel go up, because Indianapolis already has a couple. Nice to see Columbus trying to catch up.

You want street views like the ones I posted for Columbus? Go to Google Street View and drop the pin. Just like Columbus, the odds are good you'll find something similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City