Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state capital would it be?
Atlanta 35 38.04%
Boston 55 59.78%
Phoenix 6 6.52%
Austin 8 8.70%
Sacramento 17 18.48%
Columbus 5 5.43%
Indianapolis 3 3.26%
Raleigh 2 2.17%
Albany 4 4.35%
Saint Paul 2 2.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Honestly, besides airport, I don't ever see other arguments. I mean Atlantans there has to be a reason why GaWC, Rand McNally, etc rank Atlanta high on their lists, but I never see the argument for it.
How about logistics? I know Atlanta is a leader in transportation and cargo.
I'd like to get more information about Atlanta on this, because so far I see empty votes and statements like, "Atlanta is more relevant because of airport".
I'm in no way bashing, but I'd like to see a good case for some of Atlanta's other sectors.
Logistics/transportation (airport, rail and interstate systems), finance (Federal Reserve branch, Suntrust, etc.), telecommunications (cable networks, AT&T Mobility), information technology, education, and healthcare are all big in Atlanta. When it comes to telecommunications and IT in particular, Atlanta is up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 10:15 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Although it's backward of me, I suppose, the three things that would have entered my mind as making Atlanta internationally famous are

Gone With The Wind - When you adjust for inflation it's possibly the top-grossing movie of all time.

Coca Cola - One of the most widely recognized symbols of America and based in Atlanta.

CNN - International News Network. I think it and BBC are the biggest international news networks.

Although how much people around the world associate the last two with Atlanta I don't know. Also I think the first one, GWtW, is mostly not about the city of Atlanta proper.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although it's backward of me, I suppose, the three things that would have entered my mind as making Atlanta internationally famous are

Gone With The Wind - When you adjust for inflation it's possibly the top-grossing movie of all time.

Coca Cola - One of the most widely recognized symbols of America and based in Atlanta.

CNN - International News Network. I think it and BBC are the biggest international news networks.

Although how much people around the world associate the last two with Atlanta I don't know. Also I think the first one, GWtW, is mostly not about the city of Atlanta proper.
Don't doubt the still strong following of GWtW. You are correct, adjusted for inflation it is still the largest grossing film of all time by a significant margin. A lot of people are familiar with the story, and it is a big part of American pop culture. On the other hand, people usually have a incorrect view of the city because of it. There is the idea that Atlanta was all plantations and county estates...even though both the book and the movie stated otherwise.

Coca-Cola is the most recognized brand name in the world, but that's not so much a plus for Atlanta as I would imagine that most people in the world have no idea where Coke is located as a company. However, the fact that Coca-Cola is sold literally everywhere on planet Earth and the company employs hundreds of thousands of people in pretty much every country is a big plus to Atlanta's economy.

People around the world do associate CNN with Atlanta simply by the fact that their news broadcasts are all from Atlanta including the CNN international (their nighttime shows are the for the most broadcasted from DC and NYC however) and they announce their location at the beginning of the show. Every time I've been overseas, they are 1 of the only 2 netowrks that broadcast universally internationally (the other being the BBC). The fact that right now, all across the world, people are getting there news from CNN is a huge plus for Atlanta even if people aren't aware where the studio is.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:38 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Thats what I'm talking about this thread is taking off the way it should now. Thank you to the supportive Atlanta posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Just like you to tell us we can only pick one and then you picked all of them
When it is a multiple choice poll, I vote for everything. I don't ever like to leave anyone or anything out at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Dannyboy - why did you even bother to set up a poll if you already "knew" the answer?
Haha, I like the nickname.

I made this thread a long time ago, back when I was a new member here. It was one of my very first threads on this site. And I was a novice when I started posting back then, I saw population numbers from Wikipedia and used to get excited going like "Yes Austin is 15th" and stuff like that. But I never knew because of land area because I never paid close attention to it until I started posting here.
When I made this thread, I actually did think Atlanta (according to GaWC- my most trusted source back then) was higher than everything besides, New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC.
I can literally say when I made this thread back then, I didn't know any better.
Here I am nearly four-five or so months later, and you can see the drastic change in my posting styles from then to now. I was a novice then, only knew the basics, didn't know much outside of the small picture.
I would like to say I'm a very comprehensive poster now and I get straight to the detailed point now.

I have learned a lot in my five months of posting on this site. Went from a poster that just stated the most basic Wikipedia things to a poster that does work, gets the information set, and doesn't tolerate childish mistakes even in punctuation in serious topics/threads. Looking back at it, I can say I have learned quite a good deal from this site, but I can also say the overall regional bias and hatred for those we do not know (I am guilty of it too) is purely disgusting.

And from now on, you wont ever see me bashing Boston ever again, its immature and the people of that city haven't harmed me for me to hate them all. Its a beautiful city, and I'll give it the props it deserves. No more Anti-Boston attitude from me, I was immature before. I like to start over now.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:21 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Boston- Simply because it gets the most recognition in the US history books..
Atlanta trails behind. I'm surprised you left out Denver. Not that it could have competed with Boston, but It's one of the bigger state capitals.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:35 PM

50 posts, read 48,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I'm surprised there aren't any Phoenix advocates. The city is large, but it does come in behind Boston and Atlanta on history and metro area.
There are good reasons why there aren't any Phoenix advocates.

PHX might be America's 5th biggest city but it sure doesn't look, act, or feel like it. In lots of ways it reminds me of a big Los Angeles suburb on steroids.

The only reason it grew so fast was the attraction of low-cost real estate and older folks going there for the warm dry weather to spend their reclining-declining years.

There was a time when PHX was labeled the Silicon Desert with all the tech firms springing up. Now those high-tech jobs are mostly gone. Unemployment is high, home foreclosures are high, people are wanting to move out and go elsewhere.

There is very little to do that fits the standards of a city its size. You can sit on a street corner and count all the 4X4 trucks speeding by with enormous tires. There are lots of those - more than any other big city I know of.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredofPHX View Post
There are good reasons why there aren't any Phoenix advocates.

PHX might be America's 5th biggest city but it sure doesn't look, act, or feel like it. In lots of ways it reminds me of a big Los Angeles suburb on steroids.

The only reason it grew so fast was the attraction of low-cost real estate and older folks going there for the warm dry weather to spend their reclining-declining years.

There was a time when PHX was labeled the Silicon Desert with all the tech firms springing up. Now those high-tech jobs are mostly gone. Unemployment is high, home foreclosures are high, people are wanting to move out and go elsewhere.

There is very little to do that fits the standards of a city its size. You can sit on a street corner and count all the 4X4 trucks speeding by with enormous tires. There are lots of those - more than any other big city I know of.
Negativity at its finest.

Phoenix has a less-than-stellar reputation mainly because of Joe Arpaio, the immigration controversy, and the right-wing troglodytes that dominate the legislature. This is all very unfortunate because Phoenix as a whole is a nice place to live.

Unemployment is high all over the country right now. It's the national-global economy, not because Phoenix has a high population of older people or because of all the big trucks.

What a ridiculous writing of babble.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
I would say Albany and Boston

Old 09-13-2010, 01:18 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
^^^Albany? Seriously? You might want to elaborate and give a reason besides your blind boosterism.

Anyways, I chose Boston.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:33 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Yea I'm not sure why people are voting for cities like Albany or Sacramento. The OP said that this isn't based off the power of the states the cities are in. Just the power/influence of the cities themselves. Atlanta & Boston are the two clear winners here in my opinion, with cities like Denver, Austin, Phoenix, and Raleigh (just because of the Research Triangle) coming up behind them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City