Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:27 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times

Advertisements

For whatever the reason there’s a lot of threads about what cities are and aren’t culturally southern, as if the south is monolithic. What constitutes “southern” is different depending on what city your in. I have seen a few threads with the notion that a place can become, and un become southern due to a demographic shift. Henry W. Grady was a Atlantan his view on southern culture was to be cosmopolitan, he coin the term “the New south”. A southern city that becoming more cosmopolitan isn’t becoming less southern, the difference is the old south from the New.

There is no united southern culture, you can generalize all you want Nashville and New Orleans will be a apple and a orange. Cities in the south have different accents, cuisine, history and etc, southern culture is a broad topic that depends. To counter the monolithic southern threads since the south is diverse, what city do you feel has the best version of southern culture?

Last edited by chiatldal; 04-25-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 01:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Birmingham Alabama

Old 04-25-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Birmingham Alabama
You got to tell why

Old 04-25-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You got to tell why

Just seems like a good example of the quintessential Southern city - very charming. I think the issue with saying a larger city embodies the South would be they have the nuisances of larger cities without all the charm of some places in the South. So maybe they really don't do either well, or as well. Now a city like Birmingham is what it is and retains the charm that is the South.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:58 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,396 times
Quote:
For whatever the reason there’s a lot of threads about what cities are and aren’t culturally southern, as if the south is monolithic. What constitutes “southern” is different depending on what city your in. I have seen a few threads with the notion that a place can become, and un become southern due to a demographic shift. Henry W. Grady was a Atlantan his view on southern culture was to be cosmopolitan, he coin the term “the New south”. A southern city that becoming more cosmopolitan isn’t becoming less southern, the difference is the old south from the New.

There is no united southern culture, you can generalize all you want Nashville and New Orleans will be a apple and a orange. Cities in the south have different accents, cuisine, history and etc, southern culture is a broad topic that depends. To counter the monolithic southern threads since the south is diverse, what city do you feel has the best version of southern culture?
southern culture is not molithic, but there are certain things that all southern culture areas share (cuisine, dialect sounds, customs). if you take fifty thousand new yorkers and drop them in georgia that area is not going to be southern culturally.

whether your in western kentucky, middle alabama east texas or southwest virginia, they are going to pronounce "fine" "fahn" and "thing" "thang", there will be grits, sweet tea, greens, there will be a baptist presence, etc. southern culture is not monolithic, but there are commonalities that group southern subcultures together, commonalities that cities dominated by northern transplants do not share.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:00 PM

289 posts, read 1,025,058 times
i would say Mobile Alabama. Or Atlanta, usually thought as the capital of the south for whatever reason.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Just seems like a good example of the quintessential Southern city - very charming. I think the issue with saying a larger city embodies the South would be they have the nuisances of larger cities without all the charm of some places in the South. So maybe they really don't do either well, or as well. Now a city like Birmingham is what it is and retains the charm that is the South.
Yeah you misunderstood my post the south is a group of cultures not one monolithic culture there no quintessential Southern city. I asking posters what southern city has the best version of southern culture.

To not be a Homer I going to say New Orleans.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah you misunderstood my post the south is a group of cultures not one monolithic culture there no quintessential Southern city. I asking posters what southern city has the best version of southern culture.

To not be a Homer I going to say New Orleans.

No I understood; why I choose Birmingham Alabama - to me it matches what I percieve Southern culture to be.

To me New Orelan is unique - almost it's own culture and a gift to our country - one of my favorite places - especially to eat

Old 04-25-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
No I understood; why I choose Birmingham Alabama - to me it matches what I percieve Southern culture to be.

To me New Orelan is unique - almost it's own culture and a gift to our country - one of my favorite places - especially to eat
New Orleans culture is different from other southern cultures, which are different from other southern cultures which is my point. How ever you turn the south monolithic and pic whatever city best fits your stereotype that's the exact contradiction of what I’m asking.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
New Orleans culture is different from other southern cultures, which are different from other southern cultures which is my point. How ever you turn the south monolithic and pic whatever city best fits your stereotype that's the exact contradiction of what I’m asking.
There is a somewhat monolithic cohesiveness to the South - but some variation - but in general yes it holds together

I would agree SF and LA are slightly different but both west coast

Philly and Boston same way - but in general have charistics that create a cohesion and bond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City