Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas or Atlanta
Atlanta 108 41.06%
Dallas 125 47.53%
Miami, just kidding 30 11.41%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:47 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times

Advertisements

^^^it looks nice, but a little too generic and office-park-ish. they should be planning something more dense and architecturally intriguing. that huge parking lot looks terrible

Old 01-12-2011, 04:04 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
^^^it looks nice, but a little too generic and office-park-ish. they should be planning something more dense and architecturally intriguing. that huge parking lot looks terrible
Yeah, it does.

It looks good to me, but it could look better. This project will help revitalize Downtown. We have some other projects too. The deck park over Woodall Rodgers freeway, will make downtown and uptown one district. The new Museum Tower will be a nice addition to the skyline. There is rumor about a 75-80 story mixed-use tower proposed, It is very close to the Museum Tower. The tower will be taller than the Bank Of America Plaza. There is a proposed 53 story tower called the Lexi and lets not forget the Hall Arts center. It will have two 50 story towers.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Dallas' Deck Park, Arts District and new Museum Tower

Old 01-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dallas' Deck Park, Arts District and new Museum Tower
Yea, I like that pic!

Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Dallas doesn't need a shopping center we need a anchor store in Downtown. Something like JCPenney, Kohl's, or maybe even Macy*s.
Actually, Dallas needs something better than a JCPenney's and especially Kohl's. Macy's would be nice. Bloomingdale's would nicer.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, Dallas needs something better than a JCPenney's and especially Kohl's. Macy's would be nice. Bloomingdale's would nicer.
I'm talking about department stores that average people can shop at.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about department stores that average people can shop at.
average people shop at all department stores. Kohl's is laughable in a downtown.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
average people shop at all department stores. Kohl's is laughable in a downtown.
Kohl's is still a department store. I wouldn't care if they put it in Downtown. Now, Sears is the WORST department store everrrrrrr!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Kohl's is still a department store. I wouldn't care if they put it in Downtown. Now, Sears is the WORST department store everrrrrrr!
What I'm saying is that DTD should strive for something much better than a Kohl's. Nobody is going to downtown to shop at the type of store equal to that of a Ross or Marshall's. Even people that could afford it won't go down there. Now Bloomingdale's, or Nordstroms, or Macy's? That's perfect for an area like DTD.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
....and please, please something better than Houston Pavilions
To be fair though, Houston Pavilions opened up mostly last year (2010) and is pretty brand new with construction finishing on it in late 2009, and they're in a pretty good location. There is nothing wrong with it in all honesty, and its not being treated fairly, they're still mostly vacant and searching for new tenants to sign. And when I say still searching for new tenants, I mean a lot of new tenants, for anyone whose actually been there, they can see how vacant it still is, it only looks like its 35% occupied at the most. And I know they have a few new places opening up there every month. This months shop to open up is a nice coffee shop.

It's a great start in the right direction though, because it keeps Houston's Downtown a step ahead of what it used to be. Houston's done great things with its downtown from 2000-2010, and when the Buffalo Bayou transition is done, it will be a much better place for everyone who is anything to enjoy a great place to live, work, & play.

With Houston the Downtown retail is in the, Houston Center, Houston Tunnels, Street Level Downtown Houston, & Houston Pavilions. And they're still expanding more options, some of the newer buildings being designed in Downtown Houston are going through a new concept of having more street level retail options for pedestrian friendly mode.

I think its nice, but there's no arguing that all in all, retail in general needs more improvement in Downtown Houston. I still have it pegged Downtown Dallas, based off what I have seen for the designated shopping centers, but it still trails Downtown San Antonio & Downtown Austin on the retail sector for Downtown shopping by a good margin. But like I said, its making rapid strides to change that up completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City