Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:02 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,314 times

Advertisements

I am interested in hearing about the similarities and differences of Burlington, VT and Portland, OR?

Obviously the size, what else?

Also, what has been your personal experience of these places?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 02:36 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I'm just going to say Ithaca NY......... Nice walkable Downtown in the Commons, plenty of vegetarian and organic options for dining, nice Farmers Market, good Co-op markets, 2 4-year colleges are in the city including Ivy League Cornell University, a diverse population culturally/racially, known for being LGBT friendly, great parks in and around the city, good nightlife for it's size in terms of live music, theater, art galleries and a ballet, good public schools, generally safe, known for being "liberal", good location if you like wine due to the many wineries in the region, has plenty of options for those that like the outdoors and much more........

Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca

Ithaca

Ecovillage at Ithaca

Town of Ithaca

Ithaca Hours - Local Currency - Ithaca, New York

Ithaca City School District - Home

Ithaca, N.Y.: Affordable homes, quality of life draw buyers - USATODAY.com

Home > Downtown Ithaca Alliance

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/gr.../14havens.html

Denied:1up! Software ()

Old 04-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
Thanks for your suggestion, and while I might consider it at another time, right now I am particularly interested in comparing Burlington, Vermont and Portland, Oregon. Do you know anything about these two cities?

I lived in Burlington for a while and was really happy, and I am wondering how it's similar to and differs from Portland.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:37 PM

10 posts, read 31,582 times
Do you like rain or snow Burlington would obviously be much colder, and smaller. I have a friend that has lived there for a year now, and he loves it minus the cold.

Portland is much more of a city, with all of the conveniences and annoyances that come with a big city. There's a ton to do, lots of culture, but more traffic, more expensive etc.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumcondra View Post
Do you like rain or snow Burlington would obviously be much colder, and smaller. I have a friend that has lived there for a year now, and he loves it minus the cold.

Portland is much more of a city, with all of the conveniences and annoyances that come with a big city. There's a ton to do, lots of culture, but more traffic, more expensive etc.
Hmm, Burlington is pretty expensive, too. Do you know which is more?

As far as rain or snow- either would be fine. I mean, I have never lived somewhere where it rains a lot, so I wouldn't know...

I would like to compare the financial costs of the two places, from grocery to rent, etc.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:56 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
This might help:Moderator cut: link removed

Cost of Living comparison calculator

PayScale - Portland Oregon Home Costs

Moderator cut: link removed

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Cost of Living Calculator

It seems like Portland is about the same or slightly less expensive than Burlington overall.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 06:33 AM..

Old 04-20-2010, 07:25 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Oregon and Vermont do have a lot in common. If Portland and Eugene conceieved a love child it would be Burlington. They are both very enviornmentally green cities, lots of hippies and potheads, beer/micro breweries, both have liberal politics, both have great and very walkable downtowns, and wonderful parks. Portland is a river city with more industry, Burlington is a lakefront city and a big college town.

Oregon is a lot cloudier and a much more temperate climate with dense evergreen forests. Vermont has more extreme seasons and deciduous forests. Vermont also has a lot of small town charm and historic character with the white steepled churches, town commons, and clapboard homes, you won't find that as much in Oregon. The Oregon Coast will make up for that though, very scenic and breathtaking, it will knock your socks off.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Oregon and Vermont do have a lot in common. If Portland and Eugene conceieved a love child it would be Burlington. They are both very enviornmentally green cities, lots of hippies and potheads, beer/micro breweries, both have liberal politics, both have great and very walkable downtowns, and wonderful parks. Portland is a river city with more industry, Burlington is a lakefront city and a big college town.

Oregon is a lot cloudier and a much more temperate climate with dense evergreen forests. Vermont has more extreme seasons and deciduous forests. Vermont also has a lot of small town charm and historic character with the white steepled churches, town commons, and clapboard homes, you won't find that as much in Oregon. The Oregon Coast will make up for that though, very scenic and breathtaking, it will knock your socks off.
Wow, you should make it your job to write reviews... seriously!

K, so my feedback... I do NOT like potheads/weed and alcohol. I am not into that, as I am straight-edge and desire to live a healthy life. The liberal/liberatarian/progressive stance is awesome, and I love aesthetic beauty... and healthy lifestyle, but not drugs/alcohol.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:59 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,822,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2bforgot10 View Post
Wow, you should make it your job to write reviews... seriously!

K, so my feedback... I do NOT like potheads/weed and alcohol. I am not into that, as I am straight-edge and desire to live a healthy life. The liberal/liberatarian/progressive stance is awesome, and I love aesthetic beauty... and healthy lifestyle, but not drugs/alcohol.
I was walking down the street the other day and saw a guy lighting up a joint. No one batted an eye. That just goes to show you the attitude towards that sort of thing in Portland. I don't think you'd like it that much...

Old 04-21-2010, 07:56 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
Is Oregon more liberal or libertarian?

I've heard conflicting accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City