Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd most culturally influential nation in the world:
UK 43 41.35%
France 5 4.81%
Spain 0 0%
Germany 3 2.88%
Italy 6 5.77%
Russia 0 0%
Japan 21 20.19%
China 18 17.31%
India 4 3.85%
Australia 0 0%
Mexico 2 1.92%
Brazil 2 1.92%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:01 PM

725 posts, read 1,510,151 times

Advertisements

CHina just off mere potential. People are falling over themselves to invest in China
Also the large population insures that they can easily be a large minority in any country. As well as delicious Chinese food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 03:58 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah a lot of the movies made in Bollywood are in English. English is one of their national languages so it goes a big way.
And yeah you are correct, it's recently taken over Hollywood by becoming a larger film industry.

Yes, also correct, PRC has some major restrictions by the government, but all that is a cover up, they have a lot of underground influence. And Hong Kong has no such restriction, because it's a democratic country (SAR-Dependent country) and I've seen a lot of movies made from there as well, as well as Chinese artists that originate there.
After I posted I remembered Hong Kong, which makes me maybe reconsider.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 AM

230 posts, read 904,817 times
Colombia.....why you might ask? Because cocaine makes the world go round.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
To answer the question I would say Spain

1. UK
2. Spain
3. China
4. USA
5. India
6. The Vatican
7. Italy
8. France
9. Japan
10. Western Africa

I would put the UK as number one. They gave to the world the second most widely spoken language in the world and bent a 3rd of the world to their whim. They along with Spain have been the biggest contributers to worldwide culture in the last 500 years.

The US spread its culture via products, television and entertainment and with its military. that was enough to gain it a number 4 spot.

China and India gained 3 and 5th spots respectively because China's influence on the world is just as pervasive as the US.
The same way you will go to some ramdom country and find some Macdonalds or some US brand, the same way you will find some chinese food or brand. And since Chinese outnumber and other people on the continent and they are spread all over the world, I had to list China before the US.
Almost the same with India, so I listed them 5.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:25 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
You guys would be surprised how influential China has become nowadays. I took a quick trip to Africa in late December and it seems that all the talk is about how China is financing all sorts of humanitarian projects there. I was in the South Pacific 2 weeks ago and once again, everyone was talking about China. I found people in both Kenya and Tonga who spoke Mandarin Chinese. It was hilarious and eye opening as to the growing influence of China.

Well, its off to church for 18Montclair. See yall later.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,707 times
In modern times, absolutely the UK. Between the shared English language and the volume of film, television, music and fashion its no contest. Popular culture from the US and the UK rule the world.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
The UK is still more influential than the US in many parts of the world, such as Europe and the Commonwealth nations. Don't forget English also began there .

I think Japan is remarkably influential worldwide in terms of pop culture.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:37 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
To answer the question I would say Spain

1. UK
2. Spain
3. China
4. USA
5. India
6. The Vatican
7. Italy
8. France
9. Japan
10. Western Africa

I would put the UK as number one. They gave to the world the second most widely spoken language in the world and bent a 3rd of the world to their whim. They along with Spain have been the biggest contributers to worldwide culture in the last 500 years.

The US spread its culture via products, television and entertainment and with its military. that was enough to gain it a number 4 spot.

China and India gained 3 and 5th spots respectively because China's influence on the world is just as pervasive as the US.
The same way you will go to some ramdom country and find some Macdonalds or some US brand, the same way you will find some chinese food or brand. And since Chinese outnumber and other people on the continent and they are spread all over the world, I had to list China before the US.
Almost the same with India, so I listed them 5.
USA number four. lol thats ridiculous, The USA is number one and the UK will be a far distant second

They watch our award shows
Listen to our musicians
Watch our tv shows. Not remade into british shows but our actual re-runs lol
Look at our politics, more than we look at theirs
People around the world were celebrating Obamas win. The united states could careless whose the prime minister of britain or any other country
And hollywood makes the biggest movies
People around the world watch the superbowl. American football is not even that popular worldwide

Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
01. United States (Obviously we're # 1 )
02. China
03. United Kingdom
04. France
05. Russia
06. Germany
07. India
08. Japan
09. Brazil
10. Singapore
11. Australia
12. Saudi Arabia

Old 02-13-2011, 06:55 PM

149 posts, read 261,168 times
japan is clearly 2nd ot 1a. name it, cars, video games and anime cartoon. south korea is like a lesser version of japan. china and india have to be considered mainly because they have a billion people & r using them to their advantage. i would say china is having a bigger influence in america right now but india is catching up slowly.

i know people are going to laugh but per capita i would say jamaica only because it has 2 million people yet everyone listens to reggae which is like the father of rap in many ways and also has a spanish variants called reggueton (rap/reggae mix) and spanish reggae (as names says) and most people in a lot of english people speak a mix of british english and jamaican patwa whic are global as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City