Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

I hate this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I hate this thread.
I don't blame you. We can only hope we don't see threads like this for Philly if it ever joins the New York CSA.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't blame you. We can only hope we don't see threads like this for Philly if it ever joins the New York CSA.
There was talk that the Census Bureau had to change definitions to prevent this. Not sure exactly what though.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
There was talk that the Census Bureau had to change definitions to prevent this. Not sure exactly what though.
I hope that isn't true because that would prove that the Census Bureau is purposely trying to pigeonhole the Philadelphia area. If the Census Bureau does make definition changes than that should affect other CSA regions like the San Francisco Bay Area and the Washington/Baltimore CSA as well and not only the Philly area.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I hope that isn't true because that would prove that the Census Bureau is purposely trying to pigeonhole the Philadelphia area. If the Census Bureau does make definition changes than that should affect other CSA regions like the San Francisco Bay Area and the Washington/Baltimore CSA as well and not only the Philly area.
Yea, I'm not sure exactly what the talk was about, just that it may or may not have happened. When are the new definitions supposed to come out, some time this year right?

Anyway, based on the very existence of this thread, I hope Philly doesn't become part of the NYC CSA.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 AM

725 posts, read 1,211,252 times
Quote:
Yea, I'm not sure exactly what the talk was about, just that it may or may not have happened. When are the new definitions supposed to come out, some time this year right?

Anyway, based on the very existence of this thread, I hope Philly doesn't become part of the NYC CSA.
Philly wont become part of the "New York" CSA. Rather they will be combined, as the New York/Philadelphia CSA, or Philadelphia/New York CSA...

Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Baltimore is not a suburb, although it's increasingly becoming a bedroom community for those that want to be close but pay significantly less in real estate. Combined Statistical Areas are measurements of commuter interplay, usually derived from one independent core (Washington) and it's commuter interplay regions nearby that depend on it (other metropolitan statistical areas).

The United States has no equal interplay within any CSA. It's always mostly a crowded one way street, the other direction- well not so crowded.
most of commuter overlap is close to the MSA borders. Both cities retain an independant identity

Few (especially as a percentage) commute from Baltimore proper to DC proper or vice versa - though it can be done and some do.

Now Greenbelt to Columbia etc is definately a complex commuter flow as they bascically are just miles apart yet different MSAs

Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Yea, the "is Baltimore or DC a suburb" is a ridiculous question and not even worth responding to, but there are a few counties that have huge commutes patterns between both cities like Howard and Ann Arundel. Even Frederick County which is in the Washington DC MSA has a lot of Baltimore commuters. I'm sure you can get to Baltimore faster from Frederick although no MARC service.

Baltimore City and Washington DC are two very independent urban core cities that are in no way suburbs of each other. A few people migh commute from downtown to downtown, but out the suburban areas between them it's all over the place and the MSA's really do not have a defining boundary.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Philly wont become part of the "New York" CSA. Rather they will be combined, as the New York/Philadelphia CSA, or Philadelphia/New York CSA...
Yeah I know but the end effect, as in what most people will get out of it, would be that Philadelphia is part of NY's sphere of influence.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:34 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Yeah I know but the end effect, as in what most people will get out of it, would be that Philadelphia is part of NY's sphere of influence.
That's exactly what people will think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City