Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Is it really? It's just so far. It has its own skyline, airport, etc. It's a large city within the Miami area, not a suburb, imo.

I wouldn't consider Wilmington to be a suburb of Philadelphia, though it's in the area.
Wilmington is more of a satellite city that revolves around the Philadelphia realm of influence. It's not a stand alone city the way Baltimore is in regards to Washington DC. Baltimore and Washington DC are sort of on the same respectable tier in how each city has their own smaller satellite cities that are in their distinct realm of influence if that makes any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Wilmington is more of a satellite city that revolves around the Philadelphia realm of influence. It's not a stand alone city the way Baltimore is in regards to Washington DC. Baltimore and Washington DC are sort of on the same respectable tier in how each city has their own smaller satellite cities that are in their distinct realm of influence if that makes any sense.
Well, my comments were in the suburbs/not-suburbs context. If we're allowing a bit more nuance, then things are different. Baltimore's not quite a satellite city the same way Wilmington is, but it's trending a bit that way. They're clearly part of the same sub-region of the Mid-Atlantic and interlinked cities, even if one isn't subservient to the other.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Well, my comments were in the suburbs/not-suburbs context. If we're allowing a bit more nuance, then things are different. Baltimore's not quite a satellite city the same way Wilmington is, but it's trending a bit that way. They're clearly part of the same sub-region of the Mid-Atlantic and interlinked cities, even if one isn't subservient to the other.
I wonder how long that's gonna last. With everything getting the axe in DC, the ecomony down there will certainly go back to normal relative to what's going on in the rest of the country. Baltimore has to take steps to insure that DC isn't the only reason people want to move to Baltimore. Medical and an up and coming arts scence is all I see at the moment. Or am I not seeing something?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
You just can't accept the fact that Baltimore is not the primary city in the region, DC is. I you seem to not want to talk about the fact Baltimore is part of the Washington CSA, which makes Baltimore a secondary city of this region. And don't be shocked when Baltimore becomes part of Washington's MSA at some point in the future. And because these cities are so close to each other, and DC is obviously the largest employment magnet in the region, Baltimore is a second fiddle suburb!!! Now you are obviously entitled to believe whatever you want to believe. But the facts are the facts: Baltimore is a DC suburb!!! And the fact that some may not agree with me, that's fine. The bottom line is that there are many people like yourself who get on these forums and don't know they're talking about!!
Take your own advice because you have no idea what you are talking about. Baltimore is NOT a suburb of DC. It isn't called the Washington CSA. It is called the Baltimore-Washington CSA. If they do become an MSA, it will be called the Baltimore-Washington MSA. Baltimore has been a bigger city than Washington since they existed. At one point just 60 years ago, Baltimore was nearly at a million people. Washington never got above 900k. Baltimore has never been a suburb of Washington, isn't presently now, and never will be. And the only reason why people would live in Bmore and commute to Washington is because its cheaper to live in Baltimore. Do you live in the area? Not even Washingtonians would say Baltimore is a suburb of DC. Baltimore does not exist because of Washington.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:25 AM

92 posts, read 173,566 times
This is a ridiculous topic that should have ended PAGES ago. I was born and have lived in the Baltimore-Washington region my entire life and not once have I EVER heard Baltimore referred to as a suburb of DC. That's just an absolutely laughable statement that shouldn't even be up for debate. Yes, the cities are close to each other and have a lot of overlapping influence in areas throughout Maryland and beyond, but they are also two very different cities with their own unique characteristics. And yes, I am a Baltimore resident and have always had stronger ties to Baltimore, but have nothing against DC and none of my more DC-oriented friends would ever call Baltimore a suburb. Baltimore is its own city, a MAJOR city for that matter that gets a lot more s**t than it deserves, with one of the busiest ports in the nation, one of the best hospitals in the world, several improving and up and coming neighborhoods, the best football team in the world ... I could go on and on. There's just no need to discuss this any further.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Take your own advice because you have no idea what you are talking about. Baltimore is NOT a suburb of DC. It isn't called the Washington CSA. It is called the Baltimore-Washington CSA. If they do become an MSA, it will be called the Baltimore-Washington MSA. Baltimore has been a bigger city than Washington since they existed. At one point just 60 years ago, Baltimore was nearly at a million people. Washington never got above 900k. Baltimore has never been a suburb of Washington, isn't presently now, and never will be. And the only reason why people would live in Bmore and commute to Washington is because its cheaper to live in Baltimore. Do you live in the area? Not even Washingtonians would say Baltimore is a suburb of DC. Baltimore does not exist because of Washington.
The US Census disagrees with you. It is the Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia CSA.
http://www.census.gov/population/est...3csa_ccbsa.txt

Old 03-04-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
The US Census disagrees with you. It is the Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia CSA.
http://www.census.gov/population/est...3csa_ccbsa.txt
You know what I was talking about while you're being technical. My point is that it isn't called the Washington CSA. Baltimore is in the name and it is a primary city in the region.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM

324 posts, read 402,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No, you are wrong!!! It's officially called the Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia CSA. And remember, Washington's city population is now larger than Baltimore's.

List of Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
No, you are wrong!!! It's officially called the Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia CSA. And remember, Washington's city population is now larger than Baltimore's.

List of Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The point is that WASHINGTON and BALTIMORE names are in the title. It is NOT called the Washington CSA nor should it ever be called the Washington CSA. The only reason why there is a CSA because many people that live in Baltimore suburbs (not Baltimore city itself) work in DC and many people, although not nearly as much, that live in DC suburbs work in Baltimore. And DC recently passed Baltimore the past couple years according to estimates. Officially, DC itself has NEVER been bigger than Baltimore and nothing now is official when it comes to city population stats until the next census which will not happen for another 7 years.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM

324 posts, read 402,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I wonder how long that's gonna last. With everything getting the axe in DC, the ecomony down there will certainly go back to normal relative to what's going on in the rest of the country. Baltimore has to take steps to insure that DC isn't the only reason people want to move to Baltimore. Medical and an up and coming arts scence is all I see at the moment. Or am I not seeing something?
Yes. Washington is one the most prosperous cities in the country primarily because of the federal government. And the whole region, including Baltimore, will continue to benefit and grow because of this. And as long as there is a Democrat in the White House (it will be a long long time before the GOP wins the WH again, if ever), not a whole lot will be getting axed. Matter of fact, the DC economy will continue to prosper even if the rest of the country struggles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City