Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 10:00 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
Remember, you are the one who suggested that Baltimore isn't a DC suburb because it has its' own pro teams, which is obviously a ridiculous argument. The fact of the matter is that Baltimore shares its' airport with DC, which means that two cities are close to each other.

Then you suggested that Baltimore isn't a suburb because it operates independently from DC. But that's a ridiculous statement because most (if not all) cities operate independently from each other. They have their own mayor, city council, police dept., etc. Cities such as Rockville, Silver Spring, and Gaithersburg operate independently from every other city. But they are also DC suburbs. Just like Baltimore is!!!

Finally, I never said that people in DC didn't commute to Baltimore. But the reason that Baltimore is a DC suburb is that many many more people commute from Baltimore to DC. It's not even close, and this is the main reason that Baltimore IS a DC suburb. It's a very large suburb but still a suburb nonetheless!!!
Do you realize you're rambling on and making no sense? Find me ANY proof online that states Baltimore is a DC suburb.

KodeBlue even mentioned that it's only 3,500 people that commute. That's nothing.

How come if you look at rankings for cities about most educated/most wealthy/most dangerous,etc they have Baltimore separate from DC? Wouldn't they be the same category? Many times I see it say DC/Arlington/Alexandria as one but never DC/Baltimore.

Still never answered my question. What are cities like Towson and White Marsh. I thought they were suburbs of Baltimore but how can they be suburbs of a suburb?

Don't you think that if you're they ONLY person on here that thinks this, you might be wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
The only overlap they have is Howard County and maybe a small portion of Anne Arundel County. Montgomery, Prince George's, Frederick, Charles, and even Calvert counties have very few ties with Baltimore.
I feel like this happened already in the thread, but I'm referring to Anne Arundel. Where does it go? In particular, Annapolis. Even more specific, Edgewater.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:25 PM

324 posts, read 402,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
Do you realize you're rambling on and making no sense? Find me ANY proof online that states Baltimore is a DC suburb.

KodeBlue even mentioned that it's only 3,500 people that commute. That's nothing.

How come if you look at rankings for cities about most educated/most wealthy/most dangerous,etc they have Baltimore separate from DC? Wouldn't they be the same category? Many times I see it say DC/Arlington/Alexandria as one but never DC/Baltimore.

Still never answered my question. What are cities like Towson and White Marsh. I thought they were suburbs of Baltimore but how can they be suburbs of a suburb?

Don't you think that if you're they ONLY person on here that thinks this, you might be wrong?
You just can't accept the fact that Baltimore is not the primary city in the region, DC is. I you seem to not want to talk about the fact Baltimore is part of the Washington CSA, which makes Baltimore a secondary city of this region. And don't be shocked when Baltimore becomes part of Washington's MSA at some point in the future. And because these cities are so close to each other, and DC is obviously the largest employment magnet in the region, Baltimore is a second fiddle suburb!!! Now you are obviously entitled to believe whatever you want to believe. But the facts are the facts: Baltimore is a DC suburb!!! And the fact that some may not agree with me, that's fine. The bottom line is that there are many people like yourself who get on these forums and don't know they're talking about!!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac51 View Post
And because these cities are so close to each other, and DC is obviously the largest employment magnet in the region, Baltimore is a second fiddle suburb!!!
Is San Jose a suburb of San Francisco? West Palm a suburb of Miami?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:49 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Is San Jose a suburb of San Francisco? West Palm a suburb of Miami?
I would say no for San Jose but for West Palm Beach, absolutely!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:59 PM

725 posts, read 1,211,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I would say no for San Jose but for West Palm Beach, absolutely!
But listen to his point.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
But listen to his point.
I get his point, it's just that West Palm Beach is a very bad example to try and compare the Washington DC/Baltimore situation.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:05 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,405 times
Neither are a suburb of either, IMO.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I get his point, it's just that West Palm Beach is a very bad example to try and compare the Washington DC/Baltimore situation.
Is it really? It's just so far. It has its own skyline, airport, etc. It's a large city within the Miami area, not a suburb, imo.

I wouldn't consider Wilmington to be a suburb of Philadelphia, though it's in the area.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Baltimore has its own thing going. It is not dependant on DC's economy. Just because a few thousand commute to DC, it doesn't not mean a metro with millions become a suburb. There's a lot of cross pollination between all of the metros in the Bos-Wash Corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City