Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 AM

245 posts, read 215,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think this pretty much sums up Hollywood's attitude re: NYC.

Escape from New York (1981)

I agree. New York City has a long story of being potrayed as crime-ridden cesspool. I still see the results whenever I am "in the country" as this view of New York is still well and alive in minds of most people outside of the area.
Hell, I recently met folks from New Jersey who were afraid to take their car to New York so it does not get broken into. Ironically Newark, NJ has been the US capital of car theft for decades
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Trashed

- Cleveland
- Detroit
- Jacksonville
- Philadelphia
- St. Louis

Glorified

- Atlanta
- Austin
- Boston
- Charlotte
- Denver
- Las Vegas
- Miami
- Orlando
- Portland
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Seattle
- Washington DC

Damned with faint praise

- Chicago
- Dallas
- New Orleans
- Pittsburgh

Ignored

- Baltimore
- Birmingham
- Buffalo
- Cincinnati
- Columbus
- El Paso
- Houston
- Indianapolis
- Kansas City
- Memphis
- Milwaukee
- Minneapolis
- Nashville
- Oakland
- Oklahoma City
- Salt Lake City
- San Antonio
- Tampa
Good list.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:46 PM

195 posts, read 396,115 times
Trashed/ Newark/Glorified NYC DC/Ignored/ Jersey City NJ.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,755 times
Damaged: New Orleans, Detroit
Glorified: LA, NYC, Atlanta

IMHO, NYC lives up to the hype, not sure about the other two. NO is a great place, I visit family there. i've never been to Detroit but I only heard of what is was back in the day, and what it is now through media

Old 05-08-2010, 09:56 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
There are still people (a smaller ratio perhaps) living good lives, working good jobs, and having good experiences in New Orleans or Detroit or St. Louis. When the media has a whipping boy it only tarnishes the reputation even further. What if they reported more on the rebuilding of New Orleans. Perhaps more would be inspired to go down there and help out. You missed the point, you are seeing the glass half empty and that can happen anywhere!

agreed. The media loves to kick cities when they are down. True Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland and New Orleans are either always or majority of the time in the media for the "bad". I can't speak on the other cities but as I was saying in the Detroit vs Cleveland thread people tend to only think that all of the Detroit is trash and the only improvements made were downtown hence why when out of towners do come here they only go downtown for the most part. They don't show (the media) the new homes that have been getting built all around Detroit since '03 and the only difference between the developments downtown & the rest of the city is that downtown improvements are just more visible. If your riding down main streets a lot of times you may not realize there are new homes in the area because the main street looks like crap so why turn down the side streets? But I get a feeling they are trying to change that now since they have been bulldozing old abandon buildings in my neighborhood.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:59 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
if you wanna see pics the positive of Detroit I posted some of the Detroit vs Cleveland thread and will be posting more

Old 05-09-2010, 12:22 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
Hell, I recently met folks from New Jersey who were afraid to take their car to New York so it does not get broken into. Ironically Newark, NJ has been the US capital of car theft for decades
This has not been true for many years.
Good way to debunk one falsehood with another.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:18 AM

245 posts, read 215,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
This has not been true for many years.
Good way to debunk one falsehood with another.
True, it is not the US capital of car theft yet it still much worse than New York City. Check the stats.

Nevertheless, the folks in New Jersey worry about crime in New York while their own cities are statistically more dangerous than the city. The fruther you get away from New York the more people are convinced that New York is a crime ridden cesspool. Thank you, Hollywood. Ironically New York is much safer than LA, not to mention Chicago and most other big American cities. That's exactly why I claim that New York is the city most damaged by media. There is no other city in the US that the media (film, TV) potray in such a negative and totally inaccurate way.

Last edited by carverR; 05-09-2010 at 02:27 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 02:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
bagdad and detroit, very similar in condition but media gets blamed for both.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:27 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You're right. If anything, it makes NY seem like it's a big crime scene. People think the entire Bronx looks like the south Bronx did in the 1970s. You can thank Hollywood for that.

So for NYC, here is my full opinion--

1. TV and movies make NYC seem like all the locals live a lifestyle like S*x and the city.

2. It makes it seem like NYC is a crime filled cesspool.
I thought the reputation of New York City as a crime-filled cesspool died out after the Giuliani era in the 90s? I haven't seen much media portrayal of New York as dangerous place in a long time and living on the West Coast I don't know many people who would have that perception...I remember being a kid in the 80s and early 90s when every film about New York would always have characters getting mugged, shots of grafitti covered subway cars, etc---but that was over 20 years ago.

Now, Newark, Philadelphia, Baltimore---those cities get portrayed as practically being warzones in both news and entertainment media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City