Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:02 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
No offense, but there are more black people in the Midwest than the Northeast. The best Soul Good is of course, in the South.

And a lot more people go to Chicago and seek out Harold's w/mild sauce (or do the blues and BBQ thing) than go to D.C and seek out chicken w/mambo sauce. Let's keep it real. D.C. is not reknowned for any kind of soul food.
If I recall, you said the coast right? The east coast runs from Florida to Maine. Also, people on the east coast typically travel north to south or vice versa because that is where family lives. Most people don't have any family in Chicago and no ties to the Midwest.

People come to Chicago from Mississippi and Louisiana maybe, but most travel to the NE in the south and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 05:11 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
No offense, but there are more black people in the Midwest than the Northeast. The best Soul Good is of course, in the South.
That's questionable. I just ran a quick calculation for a few states. Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Missouri and Minnesota have approximately 6.625 million black people. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts have approximately 6.6 million. I didn't bother to throw in states like Iowa, Vermont, Rhode Island, Maine or New Hampshire because they (a) don't have many black people; (b) are small; or (c) both.

So the two regions seem pretty even. But the black population in the NE is obviously far more concentrated. NYC nearly has as many black people as Chicago has people.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:12 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
If I recall, you said the coast right? The east coast runs from Florida to Maine. Also, people in the Northeast typically travel north to south or vice versa because that is where family lives. Most people don't have any family in Chicago and no ties to it either.
It's the same way everywhere. Black people in Chicago/the Midwest have ties to (in varying degrees) the Mississippi Delta, Alabama, Georgia, and the Ark-la-tex region. And the migration from those areas of the Deep South to the Midwest tended to be more recent than the great migration's earlier wave on the East Coast.

My theory is that's why Midwest soul food > northeast soul food. I live in Philly and what passes for fried chicken out here (crown and Lincoln)...nah.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's questionable. I just ran a quick calculation for a few states. Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Missouri and Minnesota have approximately 6.625 million black people. Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Massachusetts have approximately 6.6 million. I didn't bother to throw in states like Iowa, Vermont or New Hampshire because they (a) don't have many black people; (b) are small; or (c) both.

So the two regions seem pretty even. But the black population in the NE is obviously far more concentrated. NYC nearly has as many black people as Chicago has people.
Chicago has quite a few more black people than D.C. has people.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Chicago has quite a few more black people than D.C. has people.
You said "the Midwest has more black people than the Northeast." That's questionable in light of the stats I just posted.

And Chicago's metro area does not have many more black people than DC's. It actually has less black people if you factor in Baltimore, which is only a 40 minute drive up I-95.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,088 times
Quote:
If I recall, you said the coast right? The east coast runs from Florida to Maine. Also, people on the east coast typically travel north to south or vice versa because that is where family lives. Most people don't have any family in Chicago and no ties to the Midwest.
Oh come on now, this statement is bordering on ludicrous. This nation is far too migratory and far too populous for you to make this statement! I know several people here that have family in the Northeast, and my sister and her family live on the eastern coast of Florida. To claim to know the family ties of everyone on the eastern seaboard is ridiculous.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
You said "the Midwest has more black people than the Northeast." That's questionable in light of the stats I just posted.

And Chicago's metro area does not have many more black people than DC's. It actually has less black people if you factor in Baltimore, which is only a 40 minute drive up I-95.
It is true, however the difference really isn't that vast. There is a slightly higher population of African Americans in the Census defined Midwest than the census defined Northeast. It is also true, as you stated the population of Blacks in the Northeast is more highly concentrated (though it is also concentrated in the Midwest.)

I have issues with the Baltimore-Washington CSA as a single functioning economic and cultural entity, but that's also true, I guess.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
No offense, but I don't ever hear black people prop up anything in the Midwest or West coast when it comes to soul food. Black people live on this side of the country.
What are you talking about? There are only a handful of truly famous soul food restaurants in the United States.

Sylvia's
Amy Ruth's
B. Smith
Roscoe's
Harold's
Paschal's

And that's pretty much it. I know you're gonna scream "But what about Florida Avenue Grill?!?!?" but that's not on the level of the aforementioned places. Nearly every city with a large black population has its "Go To" restaurant for soul food.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:38 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? There are only a handful of truly famous soul food restaurants in the United States.

Sylvia's
Amy Ruth's
B. Smith
Roscoe's
Harold's
Paschal's

And that's pretty much it. I know you're gonna scream "But what about Florida Avenue Grill?!?!?" but that's not on the level of the aforementioned places. Nearly every city with a large black population has its "Go To" restaurant for soul food.
If that Harold's is the chicken shack in Chicago, I'd be hard pressed to call that the typical Soul Food. Same with Roscoe's. I've never heard of the other ones honestly except Sylvia's and that's only because I live up here.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:42 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:

Chicago Metro slightly does have more than DC metro. It's about 1.6 million to 1.5 million. 3rd and 4th largest respectively. But CSA wise, yes, DC-Bmore easily passes Chicago CSA. Only other CSA besides NYC with over 2 million for now. I expect Atlanta to reach that by 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City